Stihl MS250: end of the road?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not realize your in Australia and the price difference. I saw a lightly used MS250 at a pawn shop in Florida USA last month for $125 US, I guess things are much different on the other side of the planet. Good luck with it. Others on this site know more about these saws than I ever will.

Many that funny, I have never seen a yellow limiter before....I have been in the primer bulb 250 and regulars....always black here...

As far as carbs go I would try to clean it once, if it don't work out a cheap eBay one in!!!

Many that funny, I have never seen a yellow limiter before....I have been in the primer bulb 250 and regulars....always black here...

Hmm, yes I have been trying to find a picture of the same carb, with the yellow cover and cant find one anywhere across the globe. The black one is a different shape so I am wondering if the rubber thing will fit. Plus there seems to have been at least three different types of Zama carb used on the 250, possibly more. There was Ergo start, Easy start and standard. Plus the fuel in the US and Aus is different which makes me wonder if the carbs they used ( and therefore the Ebay offerings), would be exactly the same here.
I may have to go genuine. The part number on the carb I have, turns up nothing on the net.

When you blow it off take a pic of the top of the carb..

Also a lot of cards will work on eBay, but some require trimming of the rubber grommet....you would be better off doing as Harley said, since this is the first one you are working on...

Let me add here I do believe you should let the dealer who worked in the saw know, but I understand your condition....

I do believe that it's a good possibility(especially if you have used the saw a lot over 10-years), that the seals are bad, exspecially the PTO side....now none of this is like open heart surgery, I just want you to realize that there is a possibility that it could be more than the carb...

When you blow it off take a pic of the top of the carb..
........I do believe that it's a good possibility(especially if you have used the saw a lot over 10-years), that the seals are bad, exspecially the PTO side....now none of this is like open heart surgery, I just want you to realize that there is a possibility that it could be more than the carb...

Yeah I know it could be more than the carb but I will replace that before stripping it down further in case that is all it is. If necessary I will strip down the engine and replace parts where necessary. I like this saw and as has already been mentioned, buying a comparable saw here will cost $1000 to $1500 depending on the brand.

carby2 002a.jpg

The yellow limiter cap is something that you will pop off anyway, and likely throw away. It is probably specific to your continent anyway. Blow off that sawdust and pull that carb off.

We'll start on this thing now.

After the needle is removed, hold the carb body up to a light and look through the hole to the screen on the other side, and see if the passage is choked up with gunk.

With the carb off, go back and closely inspect the fuel line again, look for cracks @ where it goes into the tank, and for excessive mooshiness on the part that sits in the gas, ans rips/tears there as well.

So as Harley says first and clean the carb, I have stripped them down, cleaned all the sawdust out and sometimes that is enough to get the saw going....especially since they are so easy to get in and out, it's worth a try!!!!

Just be careful not to bend, or rip the diaphragms, they are fragile...also be careful with those little screens they are easy to lose, don't ask me how I figured these things out LOL....

You will get her running, @HarleyT has diagrams of damn near everything...just take your time and take pictures as you go....nothing worse than getting saw all back together then seeing a part that you forgot!!!

Latest posts

Back