Stihl MS250: end of the road?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuild saws that have bearings that have completely came apart....that saw can be fixed, hell get AM parts and give it a try....

As far as the bearings, the saws you are thinking is buying, will have the same type...

I would slap a AM piston in also if I rebuilt it, that one looks worn...

I have had good luck with the very inexpensive parts that huztl.net offers shipped to my door in just over a week. new bearings, seals, piston and anything else that looks suspect or measures out of spec.

I would slap a AM piston in also if I rebuilt it, that one looks worn...

The lengthening list of parts can only mean using the cheapest AM parts possible. I really need a working and reliable saw like.... tomorrow. If I decide to re-build this, it will have to be as a learning project taking a few weeks.
IF I can fix it....even with the cheapest parts over a few weeks (and there is no guarantee that I would be able to as I have never done one before), the saw would end up as a spare at best.

In the meantime I have more or less decided to get an Australia Makita imported 35cc https://www.makita.com.au/power-garden/chainsaws/petrol-2-stroke-chainsaws/ea3502s
It's lighter than the MS250 but less powerful. I am hoping that it will be powerful enough for the majority of stuff. If not, I do have the 61cc for those occasional bigger jobs.
The price is also very good at only $285 US which is a bargain for a mid range chainsaw in Australia plus I get a 2 year warranty (no warranty if I imported myself), local parts back up (my local store supplies Makita and their customer service is so good, they even fix things for me for free, that they didnt even sell me) and no $100+ shipping cost from the US.

The lengthening list of parts can only mean using the cheapest AM parts possible. I really need a working and reliable saw like.... tomorrow. If I decide to re-build this, it will have to be as a learning project taking a few weeks...

For some reason Makita bring in the 32cc and a 45cc (quite a lot heaver than the 43cc) and nearly as heavy as my 61cc Makita...

So, if you need a saw by tomorrow, why can't you just use your 61cc Makita until you either repair or replace your Stihl???

So, if you need a saw by tomorrow, why can't you just use your 61cc Makita until you either repair or replace your Stihl???

Because as I said at the beginning, I am recovering from a recent heart procedure and the 61 is just too heavy for me to use for the next few months. I may be ok to use it in the future but in the meantime I cant use it and anyway it will always be too heavy and bulky for me to use on a regular basis. Two weeks ago, I couldnt even lift a bag of groceries.
And if I rebuild the Stihl, basically with the cheapest aftermarket replacement engine and carb, it really wont be a Stihl any more....it will be like one of those $100 no brand chainsaws with a plastic case which looks like a Stihl.....I dont see the point of re-building it.

Because as I said in at the beginning, I am recovering from a recent heart procedure and the 61 is just too heavy for me to use for the next few months. I may be ok to use it in the future but in the meantime I cant use it and anyway it will always be too heavy and bulky for me to use on a regular basis. Two weeks ago, I couldnt even lift a bag of groceries.
And if I rebuild the Stihl, basically with a the cheapest aftermarket replacement engine and carb, it really wont be a Stihl any more....it will be like one of those $100 no brand chainsaws with a plastic case which looks like a Stihl.....I dont see the point of re-building it.
Ah I see, I didn't read every post from the beginning. My apologies.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their persistence, without which I probably would have spent a lot more wasted money and time on this saw.

10-4, let us know how this saw works for you....

Be easy on that heart, I doubt cutting wood in the heat is a good idea, but I ain't book learned, LMAO....

If the bearings had enough play to cause some rubbing on the flywheel, then it's a near certainty that the seals were leaking. You may not need any carb work.

10-4, let us know how this saw works for you....

Be easy on that heart, I doubt cutting wood in the heat is a good idea, but I ain't book learned, LMAO....

It's fall here, so no hot days now.
Managed to get the 35cc from my local hardware store and he price matched down $100 from the ticket, to a price at a big city store.
It had been sitting there getting dusty for 3 years, waiting for me.
Makita saws are not generally big sellers in Australia...........people just dont know about Dolmar here and that they are made in Germany, plus they expect that all chainsaws have to be orange.

At least my line-up is now all the same colour:

dolkita 005a.jpg

Nice looking group...have you got much time on your big saw....

Sounds like you will be good to go for a long time...

As far as the 250, if you get bored in the winter, you could alway try tonrebuild it with AM parts, that way you aren't out hardly any money...

Nice looking group...have you got much time on your big saw....

Sounds like you will be good to go for a long time...

As far as the 250, if you get bored in the winter, you could alway try tonrebuild it with AM parts, that way you aren't out hardly any money...

I got the big saw a year ago but hardly used it last season. I didnt get to see one before I ordered it....no one stocked it in my state at the time. When it turned up I realised it was a lot bigger and heavier than I had imagined for the cc. To be honest, I think I was a bit scared of it as well. Now with the health issue, it looks even less likely it will get used much, at least not this season. I might end up selling it.
The 35cc is lighter than the 46cc 250, I'm just hoping that it will have enough grunt.
I really like the little battery one...best machine I ever bought. So great for kindling, pruning trees and shrubs and cutting down saplings growing in the wrong places and for trimming brush along tracks that are too thick for a hedge trimmer and nice and light and with starting at the touch of button is so much easier than starting up a smallish gas chainsaw again and again. With the two batteries, it can go for a surprising long time without a recharge and can cut a branch up to about 6 or 7" diameter with no trouble. Just a great bit of kit. Not made by Dolmar. Made by Makita in Japan I think.

I might re-build the Stihl.....when I get over my disappointment with it. I better not wait too long though, or I will forget which bit went where.

for $25.80 us plus shipping you can get a complete engine from huztl.net, I have used one and it works just fine! I cannot vouch for longevity but you have 3/4 of the work done already!

for $25.80 us plus shipping you can get a complete engine from huztl.net, I have used one and it works just fine! I cannot vouch for longevity but you have 3/4 of the work done already!

Thanks. I started an engine re-build thread yesterday as the topic had moved on, so probably best not to continue with this one.

Just an update.
Couple of mechanics reckoned all the bearings were still ok and the scoring wasnt anything to worry about. I put in new oil seals and rings, put new gaskets in the carby and cleaned/polished everything to within an inch of it's life.
Tried to fire it up: ran for a few minutes then stalled and wouldnt start till cold: pretty much the same as before the rebuild. Dr Google suggested it was the coil. With the original mechanic replacing the spark plug it did point to a sparking issue so as I figured the coil was the only thing left that it could be as compression seemed very good. I got a coil, fitted it and away she went.

Decided to upgrade to a Walbro carby from the Zama as it was still running roughly after tuning. Also treated her to a new sprocket, 18" bar and chain. She now runs like new and I'm really happy I brought her back from the brink. And I never would have attempted to rebuild her if it wasn't for all the support and encouragement of members here, so thank you. I dont think I will ever need to take my saw in for a service again so this new knowledge will save me a lot of money in the future.

stihl 002a.jpg

Latest posts

Back