Stihl MS250 looks to be in great shape but.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOTGSXR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So. I was Browsing Stihl on Craigslist and found a decent looking MS250 that the gentleman used sparingly around his house for several years but was always having trouble starting. A couple of years ago he brought it back to the dealer because he had trouble getting it running and they tuned it up and said it was fine. He still had problems and eventually gave up on it. It really doesn't look like it was used much. He confessed he was not a chainsaw guy and really wasn't sure how to get it to work right even though the dealer tried teaching him how to run it.

Now.. the last time he used it. It was hard to start but eventually he got it going and used it a little bit but then it died and he couldn't get it running again. So.. he put it on Craigslist for the first $100.

Of course I picked it up! The guy selling it seemed like a normal middle aged seemingly honest guy so I felt comfortable with it. The bar isn't even faded much and is allegedly the original bar.

I am pretty mechanically inclined but was thinking first clean the carb and go from there. Also if there was a spark arrestor screen to take it out. I won't have time to touch it for the next 10 days but figured I would ask you professional types for advice.

I will take a couple pictures tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Question is... what should I first attempt to do with it. I am pretty mechanical but completely inexperienced with chainsaws. Sorry. A bit tired.

Also... does it seem like a good deal?

Pull the muffler and look at the piston for aluminum transfer or other damage. Compression checks are good but can read fine when there are other problems. If that looks good then maybe fuel and impule lines and a carb kit. if it will not idle properly it may need seals but that is not likely.

Try to run non ethanol gas with a good quality synthetic oil such as Stihl Ultra at 40:1 if possible, 50:1 will work too. If the piston checks clean then, maybe open the muffler a bit but make sure you richen the H side after you do this as it will probably require a bit richer mixture or you could easily damage it. Remove the limiters on the carb screws at this point to get full adjustment.

Run a good non safety chain like either Stihl RM or RS. Oregon VGX is good to as is LPX. Running those combined with the muffler opened a bit will really help performance.

There's also a bunch of different carb designs on the saw.

If you have a fixed H jet, then you definitely should upgrade the carb.

You can buy an aftermarket carb off Amazon for $13 shipped to you and they actually work great. I have some extra carb grommets if you need.

I'd do what's said above with the piston and compression, buy the $13 carb, and run the saw.

I personally like the model. It's light for it's size and durable for a clammy.

Question is... what should I first attempt to do with it. I am pretty mechanical but completely inexperienced with chainsaws.
Well, I ain't a chainsaw expert neither... but I do have several 2-cycle powered pieces of OPE.
Maybe I'm missing something, but sounds like you're putting the cart before the horse... have you tried starting and running the thing with fresh fuel in it?? I mean, ya' ain't posted anything except what the "gentleman" told ya'... maybe it don't need any fixin'... maybe it just needs a brisk pull on the rope. What happens when you try to start it... run it??

The reason I say that is I do have a very brief experience with the MS250... my brother's FIL (now deceased) had one. He brought it to me at work (my brother is my boss) and asked what I knew about small engines and/or chainsaws. He hadn't used it in a couple years and been trying to get it started the day before; he was convinced it didn't have any spark (I'm not sure why he thought that). Anyway he'd put a new plug and fresh fuel in it... but still couldn't get it started. I made a quick check to make sure the plug wire was pushed all the way on and the air filter was clean. Then, did exactly as angelo c suggests above (not that I knew the MS250 flooding/starting procedure, I just happen to hear the "burp" on the third choke-on pull)... the thing fired right up on pull number 5.

My brother's FIL shook his head and said he didn't think he could pull it over that fast (or briskly).
I showed him how to start it on the ground with his foot in the rear handle... far as I know he didn't have any more problems.

the gentleman used sparingly around his house for several years but was always having trouble starting. A couple of years ago he brought it back to the dealer because he had trouble getting it running and they tuned it up and said it was fine. He still had problems and eventually gave up on it. It really doesn't look like it was used much.

Dan

Sounds like it sat for years with gas in it.

Sure, I would pull the muffler and look at the piston. Then, I would pressure test the case, fuel, and impulse lines.

If it checks out, I'd think about a carb kit.

Roy

Sounds like it sat for years with gas in it.

Sure, I would pull the muffler and look at the piston. Then, I would pressure test the case, fuel, and impulse lines.

If it checks out, I'd think about a carb kit.

Roy

excellent video...
Id add 1 more "test" to the fuel line and make fer dern sure the hoses can take 8-10inHg in vac. Ive found many hoses that "look" new but implode under Vac pressure.
I test them right out of the fuel too because some pass pressure and vac "dry" but will not "wet"

Yes, I should have written pressure and vac tests. I didn't know, however, about the wet test. I'll keep that in mind.
just something I noticed. usually if there is a significant "difference" in the spongy-ness of the lines in fuel/out of fuel I just replace them. after a while you just get the feel for a gummy hose....and its never wrong to change it out anyway...
Ive had a few even pass press/vac and fail on the saw....that stinks.

20150430_110253.jpeg 20150430_110306.jpeg
Here's a couple of pictures of the saw. Thanks for all the advice guys. I will get working on it in a week or 2. Thanks again.

Dan

When you do get it running, be careful with the chain tension. Throwing a chain on the MS250 puts you at risk of breaking the chain catcher...and, that means a new clutch cover for 35 bucks.

Bad design.

Roy

Well, I ain't a chainsaw expert neither... but I do have several 2-cycle powered pieces of OPE.
Maybe I'm missing something, but sounds like you're putting the cart before the horse... have you tried starting and running the thing with fresh fuel in it?? I mean, ya' ain't posted anything except what the "gentleman" told ya'... maybe it don't need any fixin'... maybe it just needs a brisk pull on the rope. What happens when you try to start it... run it...

Whitespider just might be smarter than a 5th grader!

Pull the muffler and see how the piston looks; it won't cost you anything to make sure the piston looks good. But next step in my mind would be dump the gas out and replace it with TruFuel 50:1, then try to start it.

On a 250, I only give the starter rope two pulls at full choke, then as the others said, switch to half choke whether or not it has popped.

Back