Stihl MS250 non-EZ crankcase replacement with easy-start enclosure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad Butterhorn

Reaction score
I'm hoping some of the regulars here can help me out on this. I have searched the forums, and found some good info, but not the exact thing I'm questioning.

I purchased a MS250 from a flea market, which turned out to be a MS210C. The saw had been run without chain lubricant for quite some time, and the plastic enclosure was melted - chain lubricant ran out inside the clutch area, and the surface that mates with the bar was no longer flat.

I wanted to stay OEM as much as possible, so I located a used Stihl MS250 crank enclosure (plastic body) in like-new condition, and bought it. I did new rings, seals, etc., but got to installing the ignition system, and figured out the body I purchased was for a MS250 easy-start model (so the ignition wouldn't fit).

I'm looking to purchase the ignition (coil) for the easy start model, but that brings on more questions (I don't want to convert the saw to easy-start):

• Is the non-easy-start flywheel the same diameter as the easy-start flywheel?
  • Are the magnets on the non-easy-start flywheel in the same location?
  • Is the iron/ferrite/whatever core of the ignition module located across the same position of both flywheels (even though the coils are mounted differently to the enclosure)?
So, basically, can I take MS210 hardware, install it on a MS250 Easy-Start crankcase body and only replace the ignition coil and have the timing be correct? The key on the flywheel is already sheared off - if the flywheel is the same size, but the timing is off, I can machine a new key slot. But, if they are altogether different, I may look for another crankcase to make this easy.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

here is a related tech bulletin.
I appreciate the reply (very sincerely) - I have that document (downloaded it on a earlier search of the forums), and while it helps, it doesn't clearly answer my questions.

I think I will order a Easy-Start ignition coil / starter and see how things look (if I don't hear anything else).

Latest posts

Back