Stihl MS250 or MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there is little doubt that the 270 is smoother running than both the 250 and 260.

Congratulations with the MS270, Napalmdeath.

SawTroll said:
I think there is little doubt that the 270 is smoother running than both the 250 and 260.

comparing 026/270 I say that is smoother.
And AV. 026 after less than tank of fuel was buzz in hands. 270, all the day, no any buzz. That thing I like especially;)

SawTroll said:

Thank you. I picked up the saw yesterday. I never would have thought I'd be so enamored staring at a chainsaw sitting in my garage perched upon a shelf. Almost brought a tear to me eye...:heart:

NapalmDeath said:
Thanks, you guys have been extremely helpful.
:bowdown:
I learned a lot about saws and their maintaince here too, great guys here:rockn:

So a couple of months has gone by, what do you think of the 270 now?

vtfly said:
So a couple of months has gone by, what do you think of the 270 now?
I love it. It's a little hard to start sometimes, but other then that it's great. I'm so glad I spent a little extra on the 270 over the 250. Thanks for asking :cheers:

16" is good lenght for it. Chain is then probably RM2 (??), "weekend warrior".
Is it with quick chain adjuster or classic-two bar holding nuts?

pinus said:
16" is good lenght for it. Chain is then probably RM2 (??), "weekend warrior".
Is it with quick chain adjuster or classic-two bar holding nuts?
I chose not to get the quick chain adjust and thought in the long-run it would be best to have the classic two-bolt system. Chain is RM2.

Probably you can get easily 1-2 loops of 0.325 RS, RM or now even RSC chain.
Always is necessary to have more than a single loop of chain. Even, when you are using saw very few:)

RSC, RSC3, RS, and even regular RM should show a marked improvement in cutting over the RM2. It is the worst chain design in the Stihl line-up.

16" bar should be close to optimum for that saw! :clap:
Try to stay away from longer bars, unless it is for just a few cuts.

the troll is right. The longest bar I own is a 18" which I put on a warm 359. I used it recently to dice a 24"yellow birch and it was absolutely no hindrance what so ever. but is handier for smaller stuff. I was limbing a evergreen and switch to a smaller saw with a 16"bar and it really made a difference in handling. the 16 is typically the smallest bar readily available in the .325 or regular 3/8. It used to be you could get a 15" but I don't see them to much any more.

keep us posted on the saw. I would be happy with that saw but I really wish they would have went with a vertically split case or even a hybrid like the husky 350.

enjoy
Buck

buck futter said:
... the 16 is typically the smallest bar readily available in the .325 or regular 3/8. It used to be you could get a 15" but I don't see them to much any more. ...
Over here it is quite different.
13" is standard on 3 cube saws, and 15" on most larger saws - even the MS660. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Personally I don't care for the 13" bars on 3 cube saws - they usually balance better with a 15".

Here is 15" standard for >=3 cube saws. 13"-14" for smaller saws. 18" bars are available, siting on shelves, longer bars are demanding special order. 15" is the common setup. Usually, anybody not wants carry heavy long bar in the bush.

SawTroll said:
RSC, RSC3, RS, and even regular RM should show a marked improvement in cutting over the RM2. It is the worst chain design in the Stihl line-up.

16" bar should be close to optimum for that saw! :clap:
Try to stay away from longer bars, unless it is for just a few cuts.
So far I have only used the saw to cut a few very small oak trees. I'm hoping next month to really give the saw a workout as a friend offered me a good size oak tree he claims is about 18-20" as long as I clean up everything. Of course I agreed and I just have to wait until he gives me the go-ahead and is ready for me to take it.
Should I purchase a spare chain to keep on hand? If I do, I suppose I should get a RSC, RS, or RM instead of the RM2? Also, If I get a spare chain should I get a spare bar also? If I get a spare bar, I'm wondering if I should get a 18" instead of having a second 16" bar.:dizzy:

Definitely have a spare chain around.
It doesn't hurt to have different sized bars for your saws.
I have 2 different sized bar/chain (14" and 18") combos for my Poulan.
I have 16" now for my Stihl but will also add a 20" when I get around to my 3 large fallen oaks.

NapalmDeath said:
Should I purchase a spare chain to keep on hand? If I do, I suppose I should get a RSC, RS, or RM instead of the RM2? .....
Yes, definately.
Two chains per bar is the minimum, in case you hit hard objects and messes up the chain.
I am not sure that the RSC and RSC3 are out in .325 yet, though.

For my 361 I keep minimum two RSC and one RM for each bar (15 and 18").

An extra bar is also nice to have availiable, in case you get the bar and chain pinched. Otherwise, you need to bring an extra saw, or work together with someone, who also brings a saw.

Latest posts

Back