Stihl MS250 or MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw Troll said most. If to continue, going only with chainsaw to fell real trees is not the enought amount of tools to have. Wedges and "old friend" axe are nice to have also:jester:

P1010071.jpg
I'm going to the dealer next week to pick up a new Stihl trimmer FS55, should I get a RS or RM chain while I'm there.
Thanks, Kev.

Beautiful saw!!! Now you need to get some sawdust and oil stains on it, then it will look 'right'.

NapalmDeath said:
P1010071.jpg
I'm going to the dealer next week to pick up a new Stihl trimmer FS55, should I get a RS or RM chain while I'm there.
Thanks, Kev.

Dayummmmmmm that saw looks like its been waxed and buffed, niceeeeeeeeeeee. Get some RS chain and before you decide on the FS55 consider the FS80. Though 90.00 more its well worth the price in smoothness and comfort not counting the extra power and speed. Great looking saws there. You got a winner there......................

Thall,

I actually prefer the FS55 to the FS80. When I moved up, I couldn't notice any power gain, the FS80 is a little heavier, and it blows hot air off the cylinder directly onto my right arm. It does start easier, however.

NapalmDeath,

Get two RS and one RM for the stumps and dirty wood.

WRW said:
Thall,

I actually prefer the FS55 to the FS80. When I moved up, I couldn't notice any power gain, the FS80 is a little heavier, and it blows hot air off the cylinder directly onto my right arm. It does start easier, however.

NapalmDeath,

Get two RS and one RM for the stumps and dirty wood.

Well thats cool. We sell to the local town here and they have about 20 or so FS80's and perfer them merely because of the smoothness. It does have a bit more power but you would need heavy grass to see it. Beings you like the FS55 cool. Its a good machine as well. I sell many of both, and rarely get a complaint on either one.......

I'm kind of debating between the FS55 and the FS46. I like the straight shaft of the FS55 but I like the longer length of the FS46 as I'm 6'2" and have difficulty with the trimmer I have now. Which do you guys recommend for me between the two?
P1010072.jpg
another pic of the MS270...
P1010070-1.jpg
...and one last one of the left side.

Last edited:
I used to be 6' 3.75" but have probably shrunk a bit. I, far and away, prefer the straight shaft. One thing to remember, though, is that the straight shaft turns the oppposite direction of the curved shaft. That means that, in order to keep from staining a wall, you must either walk backward or operate the trimmer left-handed.

THALL,
I get into some heavy grass on occasion, as well as honeysuckle and the ivys...English and poison. To be honest, though, the new one may not be broken in yet.

Last edited:
THALL10326 said:
Well thats cool. We sell to the local town here and they have about 20 or so FS80's and perfer them merely because of the smoothness. It does have a bit more power but you would need heavy grass to see it. Beings you like the FS55 cool. Its a good machine as well. I sell many of both, and rarely get a complaint on either one.......
I noticed in the Stihl catalog the FS80 actually has a smaller engine displacement. The catalog states that the FS55 has 27.2cc and the FS80 has 25.4cc yet the FS80 is rated at 1.27 bhp and the FS55 at 1.01bhp???
FS46/FS55/FS80...here I go again. Sounds familier huh? Kinda like my old dilema...MS250/MS270/MS290 saga. Another question I have comparing the FS46 and FS55 is that the FS46 is aimed towards taller users with it's longer shaft, is the FS55 because of the straight shaft good for short and tall users?

NapalmDeath said:
I noticed in the Stihl catalog the FS80 actually has a smaller engine displacement. The catalog states that the FS55 has 27.2cc and the FS80 has 25.4cc yet the FS80 is rated at 1.27 bhp and the FS55 at 1.01bhp???
FS46/FS55/FS80...here I go again. Sounds familier huh? Kinda like my old dilema...MS250/MS270/MS290 saga. Another question I have comparing the FS46 and FS55 is that the FS46 is aimed towards taller users with it's longer shaft, is the FS55 because of the straight shaft good for short and tall users?

The engine on the 80 is a tad smaller but a different design that puts out more power. To resolve your question heres what you do. Go to the dealer and tell them to fire up the 55 and the 80 and then you pick up each one and give it a feel. I'm betting once you feel them run in your hand you'll take the 80. I do this all the time and 9 times out of 10 the 80 goes out the door. Not knocking the 55 but if you really give them a fair feel in the hand the 80 is a much better machine. Look at the trigger on each one, how the motor mounts so the shaft, you will see the differance and why the 80 wins out 9 out of ten times. As for the 45/46 machines they have a curved shaft leaving you to that string head or poly cut head only, never a blade. Something to consider. Also bent shafts are no good for reaching under fences or in tight places where grass has grown up under something. Just things to consider so you won't be disappointed down the road.....

I have an 80 and like it alot. Way more power and more reliable than my throw away Ryobi.

I also like the straight shaft for edging better than a curved shaft.

No issues running a blade on it. I even use it as a poor mans leaf shredder. I just work the blade into my leaf bins. I can get the head buried and moving around, but slowly.

I have not regretted it the purchase at all.

masiman said:
I have an 80 and like it alot. Way more power and more reliable than my throw away Ryobi.

I also like the straight shaft for edging better than a curved shaft.

No issues running a blade on it. I even use it as a poor mans leaf shredder. I just work the blade into my leaf bins. I can get the head buried and moving around, but slowly.

I have not regretted it the purchase at all.

Have heard that a bunch of times. We sell every model from the little 45 up to the 250 and all in between. The 80 outsells them all. Not that its all that much better but for the price and how well it holds up its hard to beat. We sell alot of 55's too, not knocking them at all, just saying feel them both before buying........................

I pretty much would have been happy with whatever I would have bought from Stihl or Echo. Their other "lighter" models are very solid machines. Almost the same choice as the 250 vs. 260 :). I was just so fed up with crappy equipment that I overbought. I don't regret it. I rationalize that one day I will be able to move away from this area and get that piece of land that will justify it.

masiman said:
I pretty much would have been happy with whatever I would have bought from Stihl or Echo. Their other "lighter" models are very solid machines. Almost the same choice as the 250 vs. 260 :). I was just so fed up with crappy equipment that I overbought. I don't regret it. I rationalize that one day I will be able to move away from this area and get that piece of land that will justify it.

Where are you in Virginia???

Springfield. I think Stihldoc is out my way. I am not sure which store he works at and did not know how to ask.

When we were starting to house hunt in 04 I was very interested in Purcelville, Lovettsville and Lucketts. You could get more land but not alot more house for not a lot less money. Especially when you factor in the commute plus we have really young kids, the numbers just didn't work out. I work with a bunch a people that live out that way and further. Had a funeral just last year in Berryville. Beautiful parts out there.

Keep me in mind if you need a "local" buyer for a used 026/260, :hmm3grin2orange: .

masiman said:
Springfield. I think Stihldoc is out my way. I am not sure which store he works at and did not know how to ask.

When we were starting to house hunt in 04 I was very interested in Purcelville, Lovettsville and Lucketts. You could get more land but not alot more house for not a lot less money. Especially when you factor in the commute plus we have really young kids, the numbers just didn't work out. I work with a bunch a people that live out that way and further. Had a funeral just last year in Berryville. Beautiful parts out there.

Keep me in mind if you need a "local" buyer for a used 026/260, :hmm3grin2orange: .

Awwwwwwwww Springfeild,ok. I use to go to a pool hall down there and shoot a game or too. I'm up in Leesburg. Stihldoc is in Vienna, not too far from you. Berryville is nice but they are building it up fast. Winchester may well be you best bet for a good price on some land..............

NapalmDeath said:
I'm kind of debating between the FS55 and the FS46. I like the straight shaft of the FS55 but I like the longer length of the FS46 as I'm 6'2" and have difficulty with the trimmer I have now. Which do you guys recommend for me between the two?
P1010072.jpg
another pic of the MS270...
P1010070-1.jpg
...and one last one of the left side.

With bar cover difficult to look, but chain seem rather RM than RM2:buttkick:

THALL10326 said:
Awwwwwwwww Springfeild,ok. I use to go to a pool hall down there and shoot a game or too. I'm up in Leesburg. Stihldoc is in Vienna, not too far from you. Berryville is nice but they are building it up fast. Winchester may well be you best bet for a good price on some land..............

I saw in your avatar that you were out that way. If Stihldoc is in Vienna, I may have been to his shop. We inherited a mower from wife's friend/coworker that lived up there. We did a checkup through the lawnmower shop there. I think they carry only Stihl chainsaws but maybe Echo too. Nice shop. They did just get a puppy recently. He was a little rambunctious. I did not mind too much but I am sure someone was bound to get nipped.

Everything within 2 hours is getting built up. Houses are starting to sell slower though. We'll see what that does over the next year or two.

Back