Stihl MS250C died. Now won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... The site took a "time out"!!!

The gang's consensus seems to have told this guy that he destroyed his saw with no evidence, yeah, I'll give you guys a bunch of ****!!!

Some folks needing to get some work done would rush out and buy another saw to get that downed tree cut up today, and that would be a real shame if he just had a slug of water in the bottom of his fuel tank. Which could be figured out and fixed in under an hour...

Do you wonder why others haven't mentioned a fuel problem? Maybe it's because the saw shouldn't have ran well enough to get as far as it did before it died in mid cut?

Ran out of fuel, then, after re-fueling and adding bar oil and after going thru a few of the bigger ones it died while cutting.

A big slug of water rolls around the bottom of the tank, until it gets slurped up, and starts the saga.
Or even better, a little slug of water....

But no, you guys are right, he needs to rebuild it.....

Ran out of fuel, then, after re-fueling and adding bar oil and after going thru a few of the bigger ones it died while cutting.

A big slug of water rolls around the bottom of the tank, until it gets slurped up, and starts the saga.
Or even better, a little slug of water....

But no, you guys are right, he needs to rebuild it.....
One guy says buy a new saw, another says cooked it. Seems counting likes well behind look for spark. 240 thread views at this time.

Glass jar or metal bowl even dog dish good advice.

They get annoyed when I ask for pics and lots of questions.
I just hating the idea that I led someone on an expensive silly chase..

Check the easy stuff first, it usually is just that.

I have seen a few decent mechanics start to pull a vehicle engine, when the problem turned out to be just a locked up alternator, so stopping and taking a sober look first can save a lot of time, money and trouble....

Thanks for all the support. After a couple comments about possibly frying the saw, i brought it to the guys i got it from and they found the clip that holds it together on the inside had broken and come off. He replaced it and it's fine. I was really worried i pulled the thing too hard and broke that or that i smoked the rings by running too hot too long.

Do you wonder why others haven't mentioned a fuel problem? Maybe it's because the saw shouldn't have ran well enough to get as far as it did before it died in mid cut?
Thanks for reading my description good. That's why i didn't do the full dry out and start over.

The clip that holds what together???? Not enough information....
I didn't see it while it was apart.
He said "there's a clip that holds everthying together in there" (pointed to where the puller winds up), "that broke off inside there."
He wants to put a new one in instead of the used one that was available so i'll ask more specifically when i go back.
I just finished the rest of the truckload of wood i was working on and the saw worked fine.

This thread points out the difficulty in trying to diagnose a problem when you don't have enough useful information about the fault and are dealing with a person that has very little experience with chainsaws. No fault intended on the part of the saw owner, we just have to ask a LOT of questions to be sure the problem is understood before sending the owner off on expensive red herring hunts. Still don't understand how some "clip that holds everything together" could cause the saw to stop mid cut and still be simple and easy to repair.

I didn't see it while it was apart.
He said "there's a clip that holds everthying together in there" (pointed to where the puller winds up), "that broke off inside there."
He wants to put a new one in instead of the used one that was available so i'll ask more specifically when i go back.
I just finished the rest of the truckload of wood i was working on and the saw worked fine.
It’s fried, just junk it now and send it to me for disposal:baaa:

Would the starter coming apart like that make it die mid cut? If something got wedged to stall the engine would not something besides the clip need replaced? may well have been as there is talk about used parts.

These forums make it too easy to ask a question without doing something as simple as taking the spark plug out and putting a finger over the opening and seeing if there are pressure pulses.

Latest posts

Back