Stihl MS250C died. Now won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would this saw have some form of automatic compression release that is controlled by the pull starter? If does and it fell apart while cutting and the failure mode caused the compression release to stay open (I know it's unlikely), this could cause the saw to stop mid cut.

Would this saw have some form of automatic compression release that is controlled by the pull starter? If does and it fell apart while cutting and the failure mode caused the compression release to stay open (I know it's unlikely), this could cause the saw to stop mid cut.
It has some sort of wind up mechanism. One can pull it out six inches multiple times, at some point the mechanism trips. That is my understanding, I got the standard version, 251 not 250, no tool less chain adjuster as well. As one might expect the manual has a paragraph about treat it gently, do not yank. The easy start has two pawls,. The other (now farm boss I think) has one but a recess for another but the dealers must be instructed to deny sale of the pawl and spring to fill the void.

I had an 025 come across my bench from a local guy who had the same problem . The saw had very few hours on it and he couldn't get it started. This saw was set-up the same way with that that goofy E-Z start along with a priming system. Personally I don't feel this E-Z start pulls the engine over fast enough to start the saw but it does work . The priming system floods the engine easily.

After fiddling around with this saw checking this and that as a possible cause as to why it wouldn't start I finally pulled the carb out , removed the L speed screw and shot some carb cleaner using one of those plastic tubes into the L speed jet ,put the needle back in ,reinstalled carb , no priming, and the darn saw fired right up. I did this several times and the saw started up every time .

I gave the saw back to the owner telling him to forget the primer bulb and to just start it without it because it will run without it. He didn't have any trouble getting it started and as far as I know he hasn't had any more trouble.

Latest posts

Back