Stihl ms261 is a good saw!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl here

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have run a older stihl 026 the past few years....
I can say its a great saw!!!
I got a new ms261 and hope it is just as great.
I sold a ms361 because the 026 was better for what I cut most but I wanted a saw in between the 026 an ms361 and am glad i waited.
The ms261 is the saw i had hoped for.
I really like all brands of saws if they perform. I am sure husky 346xpne or dolmar 5105 are good saws, but I think the stihl ms261 is a great upgrade from the original 026 which has proven itself over and over.

Last edited:
The 261 is a great saw for sure, I hardly use my 361 now that I have a 261 - lots of grunt for a little saw. :greenchainsaw:

I completely agree, its an awesome saw. I bet my 026 is a bit jealous of its upgraded brother haha

i bought one last week too. poor thing is just been a noodle cutter so far. We put my 260 pro three feet from it and got the stop watches out. My buddy and i each made 1 cut with each saw about 3 inches apart. We decided in a 27inch hackberry that the 261 was about 3 seconds faster. 18" bar and chains on both, and full chisel chains (we HAD to switch that out to make it "normal" for us) lol.

I ran the 260pro for a couple years, great saw, the 261 was bought because i needed to spend money (i guess) and because my 260 had a rough life before i got her, and a lot of hours after i got her.

Stihl here, 261 rep sent, they are the best stock 50cc saw I've ever run, owned a 346xpne a year, couldn't pay me to go back. Liked the first one so well, we bought a second one. If your running Ultra mix give it 15-20 tanks to break in and reach it's full potential. Little torque monsters, great power band all the way through 14,100 rpm. Can't beat how long they'll run on a tank, a real fuel sipper, like than air filter as well I bet. Great saw, welcome to the brotherhood!

The 261 is a great saw..
It gets the most cut time these days..
Cheers..

alright, i'm tired of reading all these "261 is a great saw" posts! i just wanna run miiiinneee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously you guys are killing me. i got no wood here right now, and i wanna wait till i get a tach to make sure things are right with this saw. so could you guys try to refrain from talking about how awesome it is? or else i'm just gonna fire this mother up and make firewood out the dressers!!!

Back