Stihl ms261c or bigger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert96

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I sell firewood for a side hustle and am looking to get a bigger saw. I'm no chainsaw expert so I'm asking for opinions. Id like to expand and get logs by the truck load when I get a property but that is out of the option with over bidding real estate right now.

I'm currently running a 026 with 16" bar which will do 90% of the wood I get. Biggest I've had so far is 23" rarely above 20"
I was set on getting the ms261c but its backorder late july possibly longer. For the price of used saws I'd rather buy a new one.

Do any of stihl bigger saws compare or are better than the 261 for what I need? Possibly 500i?

So while the MS261 is a fine saw, you already have a 026 which is VERY similar... as in just an older version of the same saw. For what you are describing, it sounds like the 026 will do most of what you want, but you might want something that can handle a 20" bar a little better than the 026.
The 500i (79cc) is quite a step up from the 026...Honestly, I think that is more saw than you need (if that is a thing) Plus they are $$$. I might suggest looking at something like the MS362 it will give you an additional 10 CC's (59cc) from your 026 (49cc)and can run a 20" bar. The power to weight ratio is similar as well. Or if you want something a little larger maybe look at the MS400. (67cc)

I wouldn't suggest a 261c if you're already running a 026.

If you want something that will absolutely rip with a 20" bar and be light, I would suggest a 462 OR the new MS400 if you can find one. Agree with Slimbo that the 500i is a waste with a 20" bar. Obviously it would run it, but it's more expensive than saws that would run 20" like a boss and be lighter.

Solid advice already given. If I owned an 026 and was just doing firewood, I’d go with a 60 or 70cc class. The MS362 is a wonderful saw. If money isn’t really an issue, an MS462 or 500i would probably make you happy, but it’s a lot of saw for a small firewood gig.

You might find all these pro saws on back order for a little bit.

As mentioned already 026 is pretty much the same as the 261.
I was using my 50 cc saws a lot the past few years and just recently started using my 70 cc saws. I can cut alot more wood in a shorter time with the 70cc then the 50 if im cutting 16 to 20 inch stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

So while the MS261 is a fine saw, you already have a 026 which is VERY similar... as in just an older version of the same saw. For what you are describing, it sounds like the 026 will do most of what you want, but you might want something that can handle a 20" bar a little better than the 026.
The 500i (79cc) is quite a step up from the 026...Honestly, I think that is more saw than you need (if that is a thing) Plus they are $$$. I might suggest looking at something like the MS362 it will give you an additional 10 CC's (59cc) from your 026 (49cc)and can run a 20" bar. The power to weight ratio is similar as well. Or if you want something a little larger maybe look at the MS400. (67cc)
So 026 to 261 is not much of an upgrade. For the extra $110 canadian I'd rather get the ms400. But for another $500 CAN I can get the 500i lol I always do that. I just want to make the purchase once and not regret it down the road.

The ms261c is not your grandfathers 50cc saw.

I bought mine last week. There were 6 of them at the dealer. Today there are 4 left. They are out there.

If the 026 is running fine, I'd get a 70cc saw. If the 026 is tired and you are looking at its replacement the 261 is a very high performing saw.
I've called 15 dealers around the GTA ontario and no stock. Now I'm trying to decide again

So 026 to 261 is not much of an upgrade. For the extra $110 canadian I'd rather get the ms400. But for another $500 CAN I can get the 500i lol I always do that. I just want to make the purchase once and not regret it down the road.

And with today's messed up productions problems, the question is can you even get one. I was on the tip of getting a 400, but their lack of availability rerouted me to get the 261. Worked out of me. Luck!

Solid advice already given. If I owned an 026 and was just doing firewood, I’d go with a 60 or 70cc class. The MS362 is a wonderful saw. If money isn’t really an issue, an MS462 or 500i would probably make you happy, but it’s a lot of saw for a small firewood gig.

You might find all these pro saws on back order for a little bit.
Is the 500i worth the extra money over 400 or 462? $200 difference

And with today's messed up productions problems, the question is can you even get one. I was on the tip of getting a 400, but their lack of availability rerouted me to get the 261. Worked out of me. Luck!
I have to call around for bigger saws. Some places had no saws and others said large saws were not an issue to get

I have a 261cm with 20 inch bar, and I also have a 500i with a 25 inch bar. The other day I was bucking dry Australian hardwood (red gum and ironbark). When I cut it with the 261 only a tooth would come out the other side, so minus the dogs the wood was probably 18 to 19 inches in diameter. The 500i basically dropped through the wood, and the 261 worked it’s way through the wood. It could definitely do it, but just took more time. I wouldn’t have wanted to do a whole day of that though, and even though it’s a pro saw I wouldn’t want to subject it to it if I didn’t need to, but that’s just my own thoughts.

I also have a 460 magnum, so not a newer 462 which is lighter, but I’d buy a 500i over another 460, especially if it was only $200 difference.

Latest posts

Back