Stihl MS290 or MS270?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdog9

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys...

I have a quick question- one that I'm sure has been run into the ground...

I am in the market for a new saw, as my Husky 36 finally bit the dust. :( While I loved the saw, it was way too small for what I need, and am looking for a good, mid-range 18 or 20" saw. While my old Husky was great, I have almost ruled out the 55 Rancher after some thought, and I'm now looking at either a 270 C-B or a 290.

This saw will be my one and only, (although the more I read on this site, the more saws I want) and it needs to be a jack of all trades- a saw that's both powerful enough to handle oak and cherry, light enough to not break my back, and cost effective enough to not break the bank...

Thoughts between the 2? Has anyone had problems with the tool-less bar? Should I still look at the 55 Rancher?

Thanks for your insight!!!

Hey guys...

I have a quick question- one that I'm sure has been run into the ground...

I am in the market for a new saw, as my Husky 36 finally bit the dust. :( While I loved the saw, it was way too small for what I need, and am looking for a good, mid-range 18 or 20" saw. While my old Husky was great, I have almost ruled out the 55 Rancher after some thought, and I'm now looking at either a 270 C-B or a 290.

This saw will be my one and only, (although the more I read on this site, the more saws I want) and it needs to be a jack of all trades- a saw that's both powerful enough to handle oak and cherry, light enough to not break my back, and cost effective enough to not break the bank...

Thoughts between the 2? Has anyone had problems with the tool-less bar? Should I still look at the 55 Rancher?

As much as I wanted to suggest 346xp, the 353 is quite a bit less expensive, has similar power to a MS270/280, but still has magnesium cases...its lighter too!

If you can afford the extra $$ the 346xp makes another .4hp.:chainsaw: The Dolmar 5100s is similar, but maybe a few $$ less.

The 290 is heavy for power output, but a decent saw with plastic cases. I do object to the tool-less bar adjusters.:censored:

A more powerful saw, but still reasonable in cost is the Makita 6400.(Dolmar in blue)

4 replies mentioning other saws, LOL.

To the op, go with the 270 or 280. The 361 would be the next step. Stay away from the 50cc models if you want to run 18"-20", stick with 55cc+.

Last edited:

Not many have reported problems with the CB covers, I don't know how well they would hold up when worked hard, compared to the standard cover(my choice).

4 replies mentioning other saws, LOL.

To the op, go with the 270 or 280. The 361 would be the next step. Stay away from the 50cc models if you want to run 18"-20", stick with 55cc+.

In that he wants to run 18-20", he would be better served with a more powerful saw, IMO. I mentioned the Husqvarna 353 and 346xp as he already mentioned Husqvarna, but I also mentioned the Makita 6400 that is more powerful, and more capable with a 20" bar than the lesser dispalcement saws. The Makita is reasonably priced, less than a 280 or 260, so would lend itself well as an alternative.

If the choice MUST be Stihl, I would opt for the 270 over the 280 because of cost and simplicity, but would sooner spend the $$ for a MS260 than a 280 despite being smaller displacement. If he wanted to spend more $$ the MS361 or Husqvarna 357xp....

In that he wants to run 18-20", he would be better served with a more powerful saw, IMO. I mentioned the Husqvarna 353 and 346xp as he already mentioned Husqvarna, but I also mentioned the Makita 6400 that is more powerful, and more capable with a 20" bar than the lesser dispalcement saws. The Makita is reasonably priced, less than a 280 or 260, so would lend itself well as an alternative.

If the choice MUST be Stihl, I would opt for the 270 over the 280 because of cost and simplicity, but would sooner spend the $$ for a MS260 than a 280 despite being smaller displacement. If he wanted to spend more $$ the MS361 or Husqvarna 357xp....

Yup, the 6400 would be a better choice than all the 50cc for the extra power. I would have to jump up to 60cc+........

If this was to be a limbing saw, the small saws would be fine, but 20" cherry needs more power.

If you want to know about the C-B variants of Stihl saws, do a search for "The QCA Explained."

Other than that, if you can get one take a look at the Dolmar 5100.

Skip,
I owned a Sthil Farm Boss 029 for over 10 years. It's seen a lot of service and never gave me a problem. For about $350 you can get a new one with a case

I had a 029 which is the same as the MS290. I bought mine with a 20" b&c. In my opinion a 20 b&c is to much for the 029/MS290, especially in hardwood. I switched to a 18" narrow kerf b&c and it worked noticeably better. Two friends of mine run 16" b&c on their 029/MS290's. They cut really good. That's a lot of weight for a saw with a 16" b&c though, at least in my opinion.

One thing I want to point out is that ALL of our 029/MS290's ran great. Never any trouble with any of them. They're pretty reliable saws, especially for the money.

I have another friend that has a MS270 with a 16" b&c and he's been very happy with it so far. Take a good look at the MS270, MS280 and MS290. Personally I wouldn't go any longer then an 18" b&c. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

The ms 280 has an electronic carb that constantly controls the high speed jet with a solenoid that keeps the saw running at top RPM all the time that is why it costs more over the 270. The 280 have been a great saw have seen minimul trouble with them. If i had the need that would be my choice.

my 2 cents

I only own a measly MS210 right now. I have been looking for about the same thing as you: a great all-round saw with a 20" bar. I was looking hard at the 270/280/290, but after some research and talking to other saw owners I have decided to save my pennies for a 361. I'm afraid the 270/280/290's especially with a 20" bar just won't have the poop I need to git-r-done. I think the 361 looks to have about the ideal power vs weight vs size to be an excellent all-round saw.

I only own a measly MS210 right now. I have been looking for about the same thing as you: a great all-round saw with a 20" bar. I was looking hard at the 270/280/290, but after some research and talking to other saw owners I have decided to save my pennies for a 361. I'm afraid the 270/280/290's especially with a 20" bar just won't have the poop I need to git-r-done. I think the 361 looks to have about the ideal power vs weight vs size to be an excellent all-round saw.

Yup, you got it right, but a shorter than 20" bar still is better, unless when you really need the 20" one.......

In my book, regular use of a 20" is 70cc territory.

270- Great saw with a 16" and sometimes an 18"

280- Great saw with a 18" and sometimes a 20"

290- Don't buy one, 9 out of 10 of the saw that come in our shop with scored pistons and and cylinders are 290's. They were developed as a economy priced saw and a pain in the ass to work on.

...290- Don't buy one, 9 out of 10 of the saw that come in our shop with scored pistons and and cylinders are 290's. They were developed as a economy priced saw and a pain in the ass to work on.

May be because a lot of Stihl dealers push that saw on their unsuspecting victims - as I remember it, at least Andy has come to his sences - not sure about Tommy........:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
The 55 rancher is a good saw but I don't think they make them any more.I think they replaced it with the 455 which I hear is not as good.Not to sure myself tho

Skipdog - You mentioned you want something bigger to run an 18 or 20 inch bar, then you don't want the 270/280/or 290. I had a MS310 with an 18 inch bar & for the weight of the saw, it didn't really turn the 18 inch with authority ....... it was OK, but not great. Forget about running a 20 inch bar on one of those saws. Go for the MS361 with an 18 inch bar & you'll be good to go.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back