Stihl MS361 a real ripper when you let it breath.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That model, (German MS361) has bailed us out many a jam. I never seen it work sufficiently with more than a 20" bar. However, I wouldn't expect more out of it.

Someone call the mental ward and find out what happen to ST. He said something good about a STIHL CHAIN SAW

its def the exception and not the rule....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have done that many times, no reason to be surpriced!

WHAT. No recommendation for a Husqvarna substitute? I want my money back. :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously. Good luck with the 361! Definitely a nice running saw. To the OP, any pics of your muffler mod?

I'll have to do this to my MS 362, adding a port to the muffler is easy enough, I'll use a deflector and screen. Then, from what I gather, all I have to do is turn up the richness on the H screw.

I already removed the limiter cap and made it richer from the first week I owned it, it was just too lean imo.

I do have a tach, so I'll just set it at 500RPM below max wot and I should be good.

Let me know if I am making any bad assumptions. I'm done cutting for the year and no issues have been noted with the saw that would require warranty work; so I now feel safe making some mods.

Instead of mm on the 361 I wonder if there is anyway to order or buy the Euro muffler here in the epa choked up states ? Im in the beginning of trying to mod and install a 036 muffler on my MS 361, I like the front cover that un bolts. If it works out I will do another 361mm post here , if it dont work youall will never know.

If you can handle doing some heavy duty modification on the 361 muffler, it makes a much better finished product than a moddified 360 muffler.
The way I did mine was to gut the insides and block the original outlet, then use a 1" i.d. pipe 2" long. Make a hole in the front half of the muf. where the spark arrest screen is, put the pipe out 1/2" and weld it. Then I put spark arrest screen inside like a partition between the front and rear sections.

Pics or it didn't happen....:popcorn:

No pics so I guess it didn't happen if thats what you guys would like to think. I will take lots of pics when I MM my brothers 361. And a video of it cutting some oak. May be a week or so but I will post it.

pupyrama.jpg

Here is mine I did..:D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm:confused2:, Maybe I should consider a MM and possible port job on my ms361? Who would you all recommend to fix me up with a nice port job? I think the MM I could handle unless whoever does the port job prefers they do it specific to compliment the port?

Never have your saw ported.

It causes the CAD to ramp up badly.

I did a "Lakeside Andy" muffler modification on my 361 and mounted a 18" bar running 3/8's chain and a 8 pin sprocket. It is a blast to run and she really throws the chips!View attachment 262874

I like mine, but it is often hard to start -- you ALWAYS have to try it first with no choke, even if you last started it a half hr. ago.

I made the mistake of putting on the choke after gassing it and changing the chain, and no go. I pulled and pulled, trying the choke on, the choke off, getting really po'd. Didn't help that my shoulder hadn't healed much by then and every pull hurt more. I have a problem when I feel pain -- makes me want to break something. So I gave the saw a toss on the grass (just a few feet -- really), and ended up landing it on a piece of wood. Now it leaks oil like a sieve; must have cracked the reservoir, although I can't see where.

To make it even better, I cussed a blue streak at the same time, :angry: just as the client was walking up the driveway with her young daughter :taped:

Long story short, my 361 floods easily, and you have to be very careful about using the choke unless it is the first pull of the day. My climber started it on the second pull after taking off the air filter to air out the carb :bang:

After I slip in the oil on the shop floor for the third time, I'll try and figure out the bar oil leak again. any thoughts on that??

Long story short, my 361 floods easily, and you have to be very careful about using the choke unless it is the first pull of the day. My climber started it on the second pull after taking off the air filter to air out the carb :bang:

Don't pull more than 3 times with the choke one, even if it don't "pop".

Also, restart a warm saw in the "on" position, leave the lower (choke and "high idle") positions alone!

I like mine, but it is often hard to start -- you ALWAYS have to try it first with no choke, even if you last started it a half hr. ago.

I made the mistake of putting on the choke after gassing it and changing the chain, and no go. I pulled and pulled, trying the choke on, the choke off, getting really po'd. Didn't help that my shoulder hadn't healed much by then and every pull hurt more. I have a problem when I feel pain -- makes me want to break something. So I gave the saw a toss on the grass (just a few feet -- really), and ended up landing it on a piece of wood. Now it leaks oil like a sieve; must have cracked the reservoir, although I can't see where.

After I slip in the oil on the shop floor for the third time, I'll try and figure out the bar oil leak again. any thoughts on that??

Sounds as if it could be a maintenance issue? Not criticizing, just stating maybe keep the saw and air filter cleaner, and maybe it will start better?

I did a "Lakeside Andy" muffler modification on my 361 and mounted a 18" bar running 3/8's chain and a 8 pin sprocket. It is a blast to run and she really throws the chips!View attachment 262874

Your MM Photo sir!

262874d1353264982-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353264978-392068-jpg

Lets here from the guys that have a ported 361. Is there a huge change in power from a MM. Really worth $250 for a port job or just stick with the MM.

+1000, same set up we have on our 361, it's on it's fourth season in the firewood business and I'd hate to guess how much wood the saw has cut. The 8 pin 18" set up is ideal on this saw. I've had the 25" on it with a seven pin and although you don't have a run away, it does a decent job of handling it in red/white oak. No complaints other than it is our hardest saw to start if you let someone who is unfamilar with it try and start it, they miss the pop and flood it.

what are you guys running your MM 361's at(RPM's)?

Sent from Galaxy tab
-Stihl MS 180
-Stihl MS 361

Rpm will differ from saw to saw, just sayin more rpm isnt always better to develop power IMHO

Lets here from the guys that have a ported 361. Is there a huge change in power from a MM. Really worth $250 for a port job or just stick with the MM.

Yes, unless your just cutting pine or limbing. Ported 60cc with 24 inch bar is my favorite all around saw for smaller trees.

[video=youtube_share;5PQViFBqYrw]http://youtu.be/5PQViFBqYrw[/video]

Sounds as if it could be a maintenance issue? Not criticizing, just stating maybe keep the saw and air filter cleaner, and maybe it will start better?

I am kind of in a bind, as I don't have the time, expertise, or patience to do much more than clean the air filter, sprocket cover, sharpen chain (just got a round-tooth grinder) and occasionally swap out the plugs. I learned that the hard way when I tried to replace some parts in the trigger mechanism, and I had to bring the MS200T to the shop in a box! :bang:

The saw shops charge a mint, and don't always seem to fix the problem; I am not big enough to hire a saw mechanic -- perhaps I can hire a guy to work on his off hours.

I do need to find a better solution, as my collection is growing: Stihl MS200T (2), 046, MS 361, 084, 175, not to mention a gas drill. Used to have an 029 before an ex-worker destroyed it by reassembling it with no shaft bearings by the clutch--- it was an old saw, and not worth replacement parts and saw-shop labor. I found out later that someone here on the Site would have gladly taken it.

Back