Stihl MS362 owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Lenz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The early model 362s have a filtration issue that IS repairable. Do not accept being told to grease your filter seals or jam rags under the cover. I have finally gotten some time to strip down an early 362 and swap parts around to give it the round pleated air filter. This is kind of a pain but worth it if you like your 362. The difficulty is not in the repair but getting the right parts to change it over. There are many different variations which comes with different part numbers. Any one interested?

mine doesn't seem to leak anything. The filters are somewhat easily mis-installed is all I know.

I wish sawmakers just went back to winter and summer screen filters that last basically forever.

I called Stihl repeatedly about this issue... well I called the dealer that handles their service calls.

One guy in particular was a real jerk about wanting to help.

Anyways a few years went by and I called and raised all kinds of heck. At that point I knew they had sent out kits to convert the filtration system over to the 362 C style.

After about 20 minutes of coming unglued they asked for my address and CC info. I told them I paid $700 for the saw and I sure as heck wasn't paying for parts to fix a design issue.

Long story short they sent me all the parts, saw is updated and no longer has sawdust filling the carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way. Here is a pic I sent to the service guys... they told me this would not effect the saws performance or life. Yea sure it won't.

19bdecdad6570c582ab6deafa1ad59bd.jpg

I bought my 362 in 2010. It does not have a round pleated air filter. It is white and clips into place. I didn't realize that there was a problem with it. So, what was the problem. The filters don't seal well? I haven't noticed a problem.

I bought my 362 in 2010. It does not have a round pleated air filter. It is white and clips into place. I didn't realize that there was a problem with it. So, what was the problem. The filters don't seal well? I haven't noticed a problem.

Not sure where they're not sealing exactly. Seems to me when you clip the filter in the two lower tangs then snap it in it must buckle upwards in the middle around the seal. Mine was nothing but problems.

Guy tried telling me the saw would run those fines through with no issues. I called his BS on the phone. I design outdoor power equipment for a living, and told him that if my company designed something like this we'd be fixing it for our customers.

At that point was when he said the parts were on their way.

It's been a few years but I feel like I got a new filter base, something to do with the throttle assembly maybe, new filter obviously, and a new top cover to house the round filter. Since that time I have seen no signs of sawdust getting by.

Great picture Stihl310! Part of the problem is a poor filter seal. When the inner filter is clipped on the top, the bottom pulls away slightly. The outer filter has no sealing ability-just sits there. The biggest problem isn't actually the filters. The filter base has no gasket or sealing ability to the carburetor. Fine dust enters here as well and pegs the inside of the filter then heads back toward the intake. Call B.S. if you want but when new and old filter bases are held side by side, it is obvious was is going on.

If you engage the choke when removing and reinstalling the two piece filter of the original model 362 it will allow a tiny bit more room to properly remove and install the filter. The linkage gets in the way unless the choke is engaged fully.

Mines a 2011 never knew it was a problem guess I'll have to look someday.

I upgraded mine several years ago. I have an early 2010 362. I believe there was a thread on it here somewhere complete with pics. I had to buy several parts, and they weren’t cheap. I also had to buy the mtronic top cover because the standard carb cover wouldn’t clear the air filter.

I have seen it both ways, but never lost a saw to it. Biggest issue was getting the filter in correctly.
For every one that may have had an issue, 20 or more did not. Is the round filter better? Yes, as it is easier to install. Have I ever converted one. No. Proper installation cured the issue, along with a sharp chain.
I know NOBODY runs a dull chain.
Can't keep up with all the sharpening. Part of a tune up.

Latest posts

Back