Stihl Ms440 Or Ms460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a customer that is looking for a new saw and his buddy is an older cutter that told him that the 44 is the one to get. However now with the 460 introduced i feel why not get more saw for only $80 increase in price.
Just curious how everybody felt on here.
Thanks

bigjayfromwa said:
I have a customer that is looking for a new saw and his buddy is an older cutter that told him that the 44 is the one to get. However now with the 460 introduced i feel why not get more saw for only $80 increase in price.
Just curious how everybody felt on here.
Thanks

460 is more saw but the 440 has been around for so long and its reputation rates with the best. Its soon being discontinued so tell your customer that. He will do one of two things. He will take the 460 or ask for a break on the 440. Give him a small break because you need to let those 440's go and make room for the new 441. Worst thing in the saw business is to have saws sitting that are no longer made. People tend to shy away from them fearing no parts down the the road. Thats not the case with the 440 but some people still won't budge on model no longer made. Sell him that 460 at full price or give him a small discount on the 440, that sale, either saw, should be easy to pull off..........

You never said what he will be doing with this saw.
If he is going to carry it all day I would rather have 80 bucks in my pocket.
then 80 bucks worth of weight.
then again what will he be doing with this saw. Sell to his need not greed.

This customer wants a commercial grade saw for cutting up downed trees on his property and also for yearly firewood cutting. He has approx. 12-15 24-40in douglas firs down on his property. He is not a logger, however wants a higher end saw that is going to last.

440. The 460 is a great saw but the 440 is capable of doing all he needs to do and it will be lighter and less fatiguing to use.

WOW you guys are that nit picky about weigh? Its a half pound heavier. And for that half pound you get more than a half horsepower increase.

the 044/MS440 is one of the most popular saws out there and has a ton of new and used parts available, and will have for a long time to come. i do not see the parts issue being a problem at all. i do not know if it applies to the chainsaw world but in cars/motorcycles i beleive parts are legally required to be available for 7 years after a model is discontinued. the 044/MS440 will have parts available for a very long time. both new and used.

NWCS said:
the 044/MS440 is one of the most popular saws out there and has a ton of new and used parts available, and will have for a long time to come. i do not see the parts issue being a problem at all. i do not know if it applies to the chainsaw world but in cars/motorcycles i beleive parts are legally required to be available for 7 years after a model is discontinued. the 044/MS440 will have parts available for a very long time. both new and used.

Stihl promises 10 years after production parts will be available. Your correct parts will be no issue at all but selling a discontinued saw will. Trust me I know. When the 361 came out you had to almost give away the 360's left on the shelf. Customers are savvy as hell. They know you want those discontinued models gone and they play ya for them. Saw buffs are even worse about it. Is a nice way to get a discount though....

I was out price gouging the local dealer today to see what I could get a brand new 440 for...He moved a little, but then again, the 441 just hit his store today. I'll give him a couple weeks and maybe score an almost new trade in, or a brand new one for a better discounted rate.

-Steve

Freakingstang said:
I was out price gouging the local dealer today to see what I could get a brand new 440 for...He moved a little, but then again, the 441 just hit his store today. I'll give him a couple weeks and maybe score an almost new trade in, or a brand new one for a better discounted rate.

-Steve

haha Stang, looks like you know exactly what I'm talking about.

THALL10326 is right.Been a Stihl dealer for 21 years. Don't want to sit on them "not made any more saws."10% off and move them.:bowdown:

I sold a 440 and a 441 today. And tomorrow, I'll have both in stock again.

I have both types of customers - "give me more of the same", and "give me the new model".

You won't see rampant discounting on the 440.. Most stores out here offer a modest discount to pro customers on this type of saw already.

BostonBull said:
WOW you guys are that nit picky about weigh? Its a half pound heavier. And for that half pound you get more than a half horsepower increase.

Hay bull I'll take that half pound lighter saw and with a few mods run circles around that heavy weight saw. Thats why I like my JONSERED 2171.
Bring on those 066's I'm ready.

bigjayfromwa said:
This customer wants a commercial grade saw for cutting up downed trees on his property and also for yearly firewood cutting. He has approx. 12-15 24-40in douglas firs down on his property. He is not a logger, however wants a higher end saw that is going to last.

Well you guys know what is best for that. Guess he is going to need a long bar also. My opion is that a 044 is a dirty saw. So I would lean him towards the 441. the air filtration has been proven superior by other companys.
Up till now sthil lovers would disagree.
Of course I would like to see how that 441 handles the bitter cold.

manual said:
My opion is that a 044 is a dirty saw. So I would lean him towards the 441.

The 044/440 was and is a good saw. However, The airfilters do dirty far quicker than a Husky 266/268xp/272/371/372-all of which sound better than a 440, cut as well or better than a 440 and cost less.
Stihl makes great saws....just not as great as their pricing implies. Husqvarna and Dolmar make me smile.

Yea Stumper I'll Agree that Stihl IS mighty "Proud" of there saws. I like the way they pass the savings on to there customers.

But The question is addressed about a 440 or 460.

manual said:
Yea Stumper I'll Agree that Stihl IS mighty "Proud" of there saws. I like the way they pass the savings on to there customers.

But The question is addressed about a 440 or 460.

I agree Manual, they (Stihl who else) are very proud to be the No.1 selling chainsaw in the world for the past 35 years in a row, yup yup, you'd be proud of that too wouldn't ya?,,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: , ruffling your feathers Manual,hehehe....

seems that stihl was much kinder/gentler to their 440 than husky was to their 372. maybe there is a 373 is on the drawing board in sweeden somewhere.

guess i wil keep on dreaming:cry:

Latest posts

Back