Stihl MS441 starting problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canthook Coasty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 441 that will not start under 50 pulls on the cord. Decomp or no doesn’t seem to matter. I have a 310 and two 028’s that start on the third pull. The 441 has had about five tanks of gas, so it really isn’t broken in. Could that be the problem? The gas is good and fresh 89 octane. Once it is running, it will re-start all day on one pull.

Do basic checks on it. Pull the spark plug check its clean, getting fire usual stuff.
Dry it off put it in hit decomp give it a few pulls pull it out make sure its wet but not soaked.
When you pull on it a lot and it doesn't start, tip the saw up (bar towards ground) any gas coming out of muffler. Could possibly be flooding out.

I would go from there.

Not all that familiar with strato saws but if it starts fine warm, I would check to make sure the choke is closing.

If a saw will not start with in six pulls then you have problems in most cases. All you are doing is wearing out an expensive recoil assembly. I would go ahead and inspect the entire fuel system. As mentioned earlier check the choke first then move on down the list.

For what it's worth, both my 441 and 362 are suprisingly easy to start. One pull at choke, one pull at half and you're off and running. I personally would steer clear of the 89 octane and find some non oxygenated 92 octane. But that's a different can of worms all together. Best of luck.

Stratos flood easily. I always pull two pulls with decomp in first, then apply choke for only one or two more pulls. The pop can be so faint you miss it, hence flooding. The 441 CM-tronic I have is tits, flip to start, pull three/four times, it starts and you flip to on/run, while it's running, (only three indents or choices on the master switch instead of four) without having to ever pull the cord again and cut wood. Never once has this failed. The electronic package is absolutly perfect IMO. Well worth the $60 bump in price to me at 0 elevation in Savannah and 1100 feet elevation in Ohio. No adjustments necessary. The future is here.

My biggest problem is I’m in the Coast Guard was home in Michigan for the weekend to cut some maples that fell during an ice storm a couple of weeks ago. Now, I’m back in New Jersey so I will not be able to do anything until May when I get home again. I remember it started right up when I got it.

Stratos flood easily. I always pull two pulls with decomp in first, then apply choke for only one or two more pulls. The pop can be so faint you miss it, hence flooding. The 441 CM-tronic I have is tits, flip to start, pull three/four times, it starts and you flip to on/run, while it's running, (only three indents or choices on the master switch instead of four) without having to ever pull the cord again and cut wood. Never once has this failed. The electronic package is absolutly perfect IMO. Well worth the $60 bump in price to me at 0 elevation in Savannah and 1100 feet elevation in Ohio. No adjustments necessary. The future is here.

Thanks for all the replies.

I do think I probably flooded it. it’s my first strato saw. I like the older ones, but the EPA doesn’t agree.

Last edited:
The 441 is a great saw, best MPG, Anti Vib, and Filtration is great. You have a good saw, just take time to get to know her....and what she likes.

I just looked at a 441 manual online, and it appears that I had the saw on the wrong choke setting and flooded it out.

“If you did not move the master control lever from the choke shutter closed position to the starting throttle position quickly enough, the engine may be flooded.

Back