Stihl ms441 vs. ms460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are documented cases where the auto tune has run with huge air leaks and not melt down. It may be scary but its good technology and it is here to stay. Heck Stihl is running full fuel injection on the demolition saws and it is awesome. My crews love them and we will buy more of them.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I have reservations with the M-Tronic carb not having any way to richen things up once ported or MM,
haven't done a search yet, however I just wanted to throw that in there because I'm not one that favors lean and clean. I would want the ability to richen up the mix once the saw has been "tweaked".

I have found on a couple of stock 441Cs with muff modds or ported they run plenty rich enough.

I have reservations with the M-Tronic carb not having any way to richen things up once ported or MM,
haven't done a search yet, however I just wanted to throw that in there because I'm not one that favors lean and clean. I would want the ability to richen up the mix once the saw has been "tweaked".

Here's a "tweaked" 441 pulling a 32" full comp........

She's plenty fat in the cut.

[video=youtube;Dso80pwnsvY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dso80pwnsvY[/video]

That's one bad ass saw.

I still haven't picked mine up yet, the dealer's 20 miles from here,
I'll call and ask if it arrived yet. I've got some 36" bottom cuts that need to be noodled.
(I'll have to take some pictures when that time comes.)

Me wonder if a 25" bar is big enough?
maybe need to look into a 28"

Last edited:
Have the 441c M-Tronic it is a great saw sent it to Randy for fir some lovin, and oh man he gave it to her. This saw imo FANTASTIC and lots of power running a 28 es Light on her never a problem:rock:

Here's a "tweaked" 441 pulling a 32" full comp........

She's plenty fat in the cut.

[video=youtube;Dso80pwnsvY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dso80pwnsvY[/video]

Maybe its the camera angle, but that doesn't look like a 32" bar to me. Not knocking the 441m though. Definately a great saw in the 70cc class.

Maybe its the camera angle, but that doesn't look like a 32" bar to me. Not knocking the 441m though. Definately a great saw in the 70cc class.

Aspect ratio is probably wrong on the video.

Same saw with a 28"

[video=youtube;xFxg-yT0S4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFxg-yT0S4A[/video]

speaking of bars... 2 nuns walk into a bar.... (oh, wait. wrong forum)

what gauge should this saw take for either a 25" and a 28" light?
.050 or .063?
why the two and not just one choice for a 441?

Total NOOB to this site but thought I would throw my .02 in. I have run both 441 with m tronic and without. also the 460. I am getting rid of my 441 mtronic as we speak and upgrading to a 461. I bought the saw for the technology and based on what others had said about it.

As far as vibes go, the 441 is sweet and I will hate to see that go but there is just too many items on the negative list for me to keep it. First, mine is cold blooded, the other day it took 13 pulls to get it to an idle. Keep in mind this saw is new as of December. couple things I have found that I dont like with the mtronic. It surges quite a bit, not that that really matters that much as wot performance but that is just where it starts. Keep in mind this is all personal experience on my part. The part the really bothers me is when in a cut, if the saw bogs, and it will if you are cutting enough wood, it seems like the system memorizes that "run" if you will. I can pull the saw out of the tree and hammer the throttle and it will take a second for the saw to come out of that setting and get up to full power. I dont like this for felling trees, especially if you have to cut the last part of the holding wood as the tree is going over and your saw bogs, you cant just give it the onion to get through the cut. You are stuck. Very dangerous. Had one barber chair on me the other day because of this. second gripe is that fuel economy is big wood sucks. My carbed version sipped it much better in my opinion.

I run a 28" bar on my saw and it runs OK with a skip chain on the bigger stuff above 24 inches, does not have the power to pull a full comp, you really have to feather it. I do work between 6000 and 7000ft so I know i am operating on less power, that might have something to do wth it. To me, it is just underpowered for felling anything over 24". If all you are going to do is cut smaller trees for firewood and do lots of bucking. I can see it would be a good saw for that.

I am not here to bash the saw, I have used it and it has been reliable except for the above for the last 5 months.
I personally am going back to a carbed saw for predictability and instant throttle response. Also excited to try my new 461 which is on order. I am into bigger wood now and cannot afford to have a saw that can get the job done rather than a saw that will get the job done and safely. 461 has more power than 441 and is a reliable carb based system in my book. both saws weigh the same so my nod goes to 6hp and broader power curve rather that 5.6.

the only down side to the 460/461 is the av system. Not springs like the 441s.

The biggest thing I can say is pick your saw according the the wood you are cutting, not what the others say is cool.

speaking of bars... 2 nuns walk into a bar.... (oh, wait. wrong forum)

what gauge should this saw take for either a 25" and a 28" light?
.050 or .063?
why the two and not just one choice for a 441?

it's personal preference, Some of us only have .050 at our dealers and some have .063.

I wonder if it's too rich because of the elevation.

Have you used the bar off calibration?

Back