Stihl MS660 VS Husky 395xp What one is better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have three Stihls and they have served me well through the years. I will keep buying Stihls. Only saw I have run so I can not comment on a Husky. I also have an electric Remington for when my buddies ask for a saw.

Arnie

Mike Maas said:
Husky just adds about 10% to their hp claims. It's cheaper than actually making them 10% faster. They aren't too accurate with the claimed weights either.

You sure are right about the weights, but according to the (German) DLG and KWF test reports that inkludes dyno test results, both Stihl and Husky in general are right on with their power output claims (in kW with one decimal) in most cases. Some tested saws are off by .1 kw one way or the other, and a very few models by .2 kW (I remember only one). There is absolutely no support for your statement about the bogus Husky hp claims in these reports, but plenty of support for your statement about the weights.
The rpms at which the max output is found are also right on quite often, but far from allways.

Something that confuses the picture is that Stihl hp claims in the US is in bhp, while Huskys are in hp. In the rest of the world all claims are in hp as far as I know.

To the models in question, there is no report on the 395xp, but there is one on the 394xp from 1999, and one on the MS660 from 2002.

394xp /1999; max output 5.2 kW at 8800 rpm, max torque 6.2 nm at 6500 rpm, powerhead weight 7.9 kg.

MS660 /2002; max output 5.2 kW at 9500 rpm, max torque 6.0 nm at 6000 rpm, powerhead weight 7.3 kg (as advertised in Europe).

The saws tested by KWF and DLG are of course European version.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back