Stihl MS660 vs Husqvarna 390xp (vid)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut with a die hard Stihl Head this summer. He runs a 660 from Wood's Logging supply that was "hopped up". It ran good, and is a nice saw. He was giving me #### about my 390 (shaved, ported, transfers opened, unlimited coil, dual port, timing advanced) saying it was a boat anchor. I put a fresh chain on it one day and told him to stump a tree. All he could say was "SMOOOOTH". The rantings stopped. He he.

Guys are afraid to like the new line of Husky products. It cracks me up. There is absolutly no comparing the two. The Husky is a smooth, powerful saw that sounds like a real powersaw. ZWOOZWOOO is what Stihls sound like. Drive me nuts!

If you don't believe Jasha in terms of realworld testing and use, there is no other credible source on this site. Not that I'm some guru, but I fully back the 390 as the best West coast falling saw on the market, pound for pound bar none. Bonus feature would be the tensioner built in the side cover. The 390 bars up twice as fast as the 660 and is extremely well balanced.

I laugh at all the casual users on here that just bash, bash, bash. I don't bash Stihl saws, they make good products. I just tend to set things straight. Most guys on AS burn as much fuel in their saws during a year as what we do in a month or less.

:agree2: I here ya
Probably a day or 2. Majority have one or 2 saws to cut up a few trees a year. I bash in fun but some people take it seriously... You cant sit here and tell me Stihl or Husky suck. Just cause your 210 always starts up doesn't mean Husky suck's or other way around....

:agree2: I here ya
Probably a day or 2. Majority have one or 2 saws to cut up a few trees a year. I bash in fun but some people take it seriously... You cant sit here and tell me Stihl or Husky suck. Just cause your 210 always starts up doesn't mean Husky suck's or other way around....

They are both good. Husky just has the edge in the 70-90cc class, that's all.

Both the MS660 and 390xp are very nice saws, I would love to own both of them. It all comes down to personal choice.

I love my Husky work saws, and like my Stihls as well, though most of my Stihls are pretty much vintage / collector pieces at this point - heck, even my 066 is one of the oldest I've seen. One thing I'll say though, is that I HATE the more rounded lines and stylings of some of the newer models that have come out in the last couple years, especially the strato/X-Torq saws. The new trend towards silver mufflers instead of black doesn't really appeal to me either. But those issues come down to a personal preference and I certainly wouldn't demean their performance or reliability on that basis.

I've had both saws now, and I like the 390 much better. It is a little bit lighter and a lot smoother. The power difference wasn't real noticeable. I sold the 660 after I got this one though.

Mr. Joat,

I hope you understand what I am implying. Not all casual users are ignorant or bashers (just plenty). I think you get my point. I have just read enough garbage from guys that have little credence to continualy bash a saw because it's not a Stihl. I use to run Stihl. No Mas. Please understand where I am coming from.

Borvol,

We're completely on the same page. My experience pales to most here. In fact, I haven't posted in this thread because it doesn't matter to most pros what a weekend cutter thinks. I understand and accept that fact. After you pointed out your experience as a non-casual user (pro), I chimed in with my experience so that both bases (pro and casual) were covered.

Jasha 390XP: a saw a pro or casual user can love, :clap:

ole joat

Both the MS660 and 390xp are very nice saws, I would love to own both of them. It all comes down to personal choice.

I agree and I do.

Very well said!:clap:

+2

I've had both saws now, and I like the 390 much better. It is a little bit lighter and a lot smoother. The power difference wasn't real noticeable. I sold the 660 after I got this one though.

I agree with the bold. If I weren't 61 years of age, the 660 would probably get the nod.

ole joat

Last edited:
Ole Joat,

You are a wise man with a sense of humor:) I enjoy your posts and you have many good points in many threads. I'm glad you got a 390 before white finger gotcha LOL.

I cut with a die hard Stihl Head this summer. He runs a 660 from Wood's Logging supply that was "hopped up". It ran good, and is a nice saw. He was giving me #### about my 390 (shaved, ported, transfers opened, unlimited coil, dual port, timing advanced) saying it was a boat anchor. I put a fresh chain on it one day and told him to stump a tree. All he could say was "SMOOOOTH". The rantings stopped. He he.

If you don't believe Jasha in terms of realworld testing and use, there is no other credible source on this site. Not that I'm some guru, but I fully back the 390 as the best West coast falling saw on the market, pound for pound bar none. Bonus feature would be the tensioner built in the side cover. The 390 bars up twice as fast as the 660 and is extremely well balanced.

:ices_rofl: Doggone it Jesse, I wish you'd quit talking about what a nice saw that 390 is. It's got me thinking about getting one and I don't need another saw.

I've got it all figured out...just about the time that one year old Slingr 660 is worn out I'll be good and ready to retire. Hell, I'm ready to retire now but the phone keeps ringing and I keep answering it and the Slingr' 660 goes on earning it's keep.

If I keep listening to you and the one or two other guys I listen to on AS I'll wind up wandering into the saw shop, coming back out the door with a 390 and a considerably lighter wallet. Then I'll have two big timber saws to wear out and I'll wind up falling trees until I'm ninety-five years old !

Besides which, I'd have to make the trip up to Fort Jones to get it modded and listen to Jasha telling me "See...I told you so". Plus the fact I'd have to stay over night in Yreka and probably wind up with a communicable disease and a few puncture wounds out in the parking lot of some sleazy tavern. And it would be all you guys fault.

So would you guys please quit it? I can only take so much temptation! What's a good price on a 390, anyway?

A hot 390 makes a grumble that you can hear a long ways away. They know who is cutting where when I'm in my strip.

Bob- if you end up buying another big saw, don't feel too bad. In 2004, we brought my grandpa out of retirement to cut the tops of four big sales near Diamond Lake, Or. He was 79 at the time and had been 'retired' from timber cutting since he was 45. He ran a 2100 with a 42" bar and a P-62 with a 36" bar and was hard to keep up with.

Yeah Joat I'm just 26 and the 660 vibrated to much for me. It was way worse than the 044 I got. I paid $829 plus tax for mine with a 28".

:ices_rofl: Doggone it Jesse, I wish you'd quit talking about what a nice saw that 390 is. It's got me thinking about getting one and I don't need another saw.

I've got it all figured out...just about the time that one year old Slingr 660 is worn out I'll be good and ready to retire. Hell, I'm ready to retire now but the phone keeps ringing and I keep answering it and the Slingr' 660 goes on earning it's keep.

If I keep listening to you and the one or two other guys I listen to on AS I'll wind up wandering into the saw shop, coming back out the door with a 390 and a considerably lighter wallet. Then I'll have two big timber saws to wear out and I'll wind up falling trees until I'm ninety-five years old !

Besides which, I'd have to make the trip up to Fort Jones to get it modded and listen to Jasha telling me "See...I told you so". Plus the fact I'd have to stay over night in Yreka and probably wind up with a communicable disease and a few puncture wounds out in the parking lot of some sleazy tavern. And it would be all you guys fault.

So would you guys please quit it? I can only take so much temptation! What's a good price on a 390, anyway?

OK OK, just calk up before you go in the tavern.
I figure you can run mine if you make it this way and cut with me before the GTG. We got a cat skinner we call Grandpa that is 78 or 79, so don't worry about being the old guy, LOL. I get my 390's modded, bar and chain for around 11 franklins, not too shaby.

I like the 660, just really love the 390. I know I'm a pot stir-er (real word?) but the 440 is a joke for log cutting. Never understood grown ass men packing that saw around.

I like the 660, just really love the 390. I know I'm a pot stir-er (real word?) but the 440 is a joke for log cutting. Never understood grown ass men packing that saw around.

Heh, them's fighting words with some folks here...:popcorn: I'm in general agreement though - I'd never consider saddling my 371 with a big bar for big wood when I have a perfectly good 288, 395, and 660 kicking around. I don't really notice the extra weight when dealing with big wood, but I sure notice the extra grunt.

Yeah Joat I'm just 26 and the 660 vibrated to much for me. It was way worse than the 044 I got. I paid $829 plus tax for mine with a 28".

MDL,

That's a strong price.

26 ...... I don't know what I was doing at 26, but it must've been fun. I'd hate to have done all this to myself and not have had fun. In the words of the immortal Son Thomas ....

Beefsteak when I'm hungry,
And whisky when I die,
Good lookin' women whilst I'm livin',
And heaven when I die,

ole joat

Borvol,

My experience pales to most here. In fact, I haven't posted in this thread because it doesn't matter to most pros what a weekend cutter thinks. I understand and accept that fact.

Jasha 390XP: a saw a pro or casual user can love, :clap:

ole joat

Joat, you're welcome here in our logger posts any time. Now, if you get rowdy we might have to smack you around a bit but other than that there's no problem. :)

Joat, you're welcome here in our logger posts any time. Now, if you get rowdy we might have to smack you around a bit but other than that there's no problem. :)

Go,

Thank you. I reckon if I get rowdy, it won't be for long.

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak,

ole joat

Back