Stihl MS661 C-M first impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great post!

I have a question, where did you get your SugiHara bar? I live in France, near the German border, and these bars are unavailables except in import.

Good thread. It will be interesting to see the gains that can be made on a 661 from porting. From what I've heard with the way the 661's transfers are designed it may not be as easy as people think an you'll be porting the case as well as the cylinder.
Good old 390's, gotta love 'em...

Love it! Thanks for posting. Keep up us updated on how the 661 does after more use. That 390 looks like fun.

Love it! Thanks for posting. Keep up us updated on how the 661 does after more use. That 390 looks like fun.

Sorry guys....

Linkbucks strikes back.... :bang:

I wanted to post new photos and answer a few questions, but this is not very great with the smartphone...

I hope it works again later

Thank you for the nice welcome here! AS is just great!

Greetings Stephan

Last edited:
Sorry guys....

Linkbucks strikes back.... :bang:

I wanted to post new photos and answer a few questions, but this is not very great with the smartphone...

I hope it works again later

Thank you for the nice welcome here! AS is just great!

Greetings Stephan

Stephan- you can run Mozilla Firefox with the "NoScript" add-on and it will work on the forum even with Linkbucks, you just set NoScript to block Linkbucks.

On the 661 air filter- you'd most likely have good results with a pre-filter like the felt wrap that come on the TS-760 filter or an "Outerwears" brand wrap.

That is one "Wicked" 390 for sure! The builders here would love to get their hands on a 661 C-M and properly port her.
Then maybe you could make a follow up video comparing ported "Apple's to Apple's"
Great post!

Your english is a LOT better than my german & considerably better than many who speak it as their only tongue! Thanks for the very professionally done vids. Though I'll not likely own another saw in the 90cc category, I sure (bad english!! I should have said surely) enjoyed watching them & hope you post more. WELCOME!

I have something new for you :D

I have looked at the machine more closely..

cezfxo2.jpg

FqntIsm.jpg

bEGLG44.jpg

7fnw39t.jpg

2WDALrH.jpg

TFRLoU3.jpg

BFX9udC.jpg

be2yFtk.jpg

Gilardoni cylinder like the 441
AxmKDt4.jpg

After that I weighed the machines with max. fuel and chainoil

8,3kg = 18,4lb's
0Hulq8e.jpg

With bar and chain, 22lb's
5nfLUzq.jpg

390, 8,9kg = 19,6lb's
0GAiWeb.jpg

With bar and chain, 10,5kg = 23,8lb's
Dn9aV5Y.jpg

Today, i have cut some wood with the 661 and i must say the saw handles great! The stihl is good balanced but a litte bit wider than the husky, the 390 turns slightly better at the front handlebar. But the AV system is a dream on the Stihl, noticeably better than on the husky!
What also really excites me is the perfect production quality of the 661, everything feels high-quality and precise.

@Jacob J.
Thanks for the info :)

@Haddoc
I have that sugibar from a dealer on our german forum. Unhappily, the sugi's are sold out at the moment.

I hope the pictures are useful for you, tomorrow I'll take the 661 with to the woods for the first time. Im looking forward to it :D

Last edited:
I give you props for tearing it down just to show everyone. That cylinder looks really good from what I see. I wonder what our builders think... That 390 absolutely shreds! Nice saws! If you have a compression tester can you find out the compression on the 661?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back