Stihl MS880 cylinder swap (clip type to bolt type exhaust)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benberg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gday all, I have an older style MS880 stihl saw. Clip on type exhaust (cast) which I use for milling.
It got hot resulting in the piston grabbing the exhaust port and making a mess of piston and cylinder. Only way to get a replacement cylinder and piston is to go genuine ($500ish)... which is a joke. Wondering if anyone out there has an older style clip type exhaust cylinder laying around in good condition or if anyone has done the conversion to newer style bolt on exhaust type cylinder and exhaust as per the newer 088's.
If anyone has contacts who can get quality aftermarket Stihl parts in Australia or shipped to Australia that'd be a help too! I hear the Italian stuff is good quality.

Cheers, Ben

MCW is a OZ member/sponser here and he has lots of stuff, can get lots of different stuff, and is a little bit stuffed himself!lol Nah, he is a good guy and has helped many guys cost effectivley get their saws back into service. lf l was you, l'd either send a pm to him, or post what you have done here in the 'all Aussie dribble thread'. The guys that hang around there know 088/880's well and will point you in the right direction. Even post a pic of the damaged cylinder......it may well be very possible to salvage.

Gday all, I have an older style MS880 stihl saw. Clip on type exhaust (cast) which I use for milling.
It got hot resulting in the piston grabbing the exhaust port and making a mess of piston and cylinder. Only way to get a replacement cylinder and piston is to go genuine ($500ish)... which is a joke. Wondering if anyone out there has an older style clip type exhaust cylinder laying around in good condition or if anyone has done the conversion to newer style bolt on exhaust type cylinder and exhaust as per the newer 088's.
If anyone has contacts who can get quality aftermarket Stihl parts in Australia or shipped to Australia that'd be a help too! I hear the Italian stuff is good quality.

Cheers, Ben

Some pics of the damage would be helpful, it might be saveable?.......Given the price of Stihl parts in Oz I think $500- for an OEM cylinder kit sounds about right, considering the replacement cost of the saw.

Thanks fellas.

I'm pretty sure the old cylinder is stuffed as the top of the exhaust port is pushed out of shape with some nikasil being flaked off. Tried to clean it up but I'm worried if I use a new piston in the barrel it will just lift more nikasil and wreck itself... it's very much pushed out of shape.

Attachments

• 20150824_151139.jpg
    20150824_151139.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 69
  • 20150826_141543.jpg
    20150826_141543.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 65
You can see the barrel has been pushed out of shape and lifted approx 2mm wide section of nikasil. Its all raised on that too side of the port from the piston catching it. I could get the shamfer back but worried it might lift more nikasil.

Attachments

• 20151030_143853.jpg
    20151030_143853.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20151030_143944.jpg
    20151030_143944.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 51
l know it hard to see exactly whats going on with a photo compared to the cylinder in your hand, but to me it looks salvagable. Definately needs a chamfer bevel on the exhaust port to smooth and protect rings. l'd re-bevel and polish up cylinder and give it a go. Pistons are cheap, cylinders not so much. Mastermind did a good thread on fixing cylinders. Flaking nikasil does not sound good!

Latest posts

Back