Stihl: Old vs. New

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with guy looking at my 026 for sale. As far as i know there really isnt any difference from this saw compared to the newer MS260. Other than the new one is really shiny and has different gas and oil caps.

He said the dealer told him to stay away from the older models where they are modeled with the zero first because they are not as good saws. Now i personally think this salesman is just using a sales pitch and probably never ever ran a saw in a professional manner before (logger, arborists, etc..) ....which i find is pretty typical.

Just thought i would ask to see if there are any other actual differences from mine compared to the new models.

***mine looks just like a new one, except it says 026 on top and i'm asking $250 for it...which i think is fair****

***i'm sure Andy will be the one that knows this forwards and back again....Also if you (Andy) get a chance to read this i havent lost your number and i do still have that other 026 to get some parts for...just been busy....)

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with guy looking at my 026 for sale. As far as i know there really isnt any difference from this saw compared to the newer MS260. Other than the new one is really shiny and has different gas and oil caps.

He said the dealer told him to stay away from the older models where they are modeled with the zero first because they are not as good saws. Now i personally think this salesman is just using a sales pitch and probably never ever ran a saw in a professional manner before (logger, arborists, etc..) ....which i find is pretty typical.

Just thought i would ask to see if there are any other actual differences from mine compared to the new models.

I think that dealer is fullof it. I have have had the o and the ms saws and theres not alot of differences betwen them just minor stuff .

The only difference between the 026 and MS260 would be the fuel and oil caps.
And maybe slightly different plastic. But an 029 looks nearly identical to a MS290, the 021/023/025 are almost the same as the 210/230/250 with the exception the 250 only runs .325 and some 025's ran 3/8 picco chain. They made the switch from the 0 series to the MS in the early 2000's meaning most 0 series are at least 7+ years old.

I can't see any difference in quality between the )0series and MS series saws.
He'd be correct if he meant stay away from an 0 series since it has some miles on it an may be worn out, compared to an ms series which would be newer.

The caps are a love hate relationship. I have guys that would bust out the old caps and replaced them often that love the new caps, and then I have guys who have broken a handful of the new ones and will curse them until they die.

Last edited:
New Stihl caps blow. If I had to choose I would get an 0 series saw simply because it has less EPA crap on it, unless it's an 009, thats a whole other story.

There might be some carb differences, Stihl used a couple different ones on the 026/260 but they all work. Also older 026's had fewer cc's but the same power. Stihl had to increase the cc's so the saw didnt lose any power due to EPA carbs and muffs.

They are all pretty dependable. The dealer just wants to get the guy to buy a way overpriced 260 thats sitting on his shelf

New Stihl caps blow. If I had to choose I would get an 0 series saw simply because it has less EPA crap on it, unless it's an 009, thats a whole other story.

Its OK brother. We know you have a secret stash of 009s that you use when no one else is looking............:)

We understand, it's OK to come out of the closet.......:greenchainsaw:

From what I gather the possible differences between the 026 and 260 are:

The style of tank vent

Metal vs. composite handlebar

Different air cleaner assembly

EPA muffler on the new one

Different carbs - Walbro, where new ones have Zamas??

Please correct me if I am wrong b/c I'm no expert, but these are the differences I noticed between my "old" 026 and a new 260.

The caps work great.
You just have to be smart enough to use them:jawdrop: and we all know the answer there.lol

The dealer is .. well...

Nothing at all wrong with the "0" series... any of them, even the 000000009! Oh.. wait, the 019T..grrrr....

And it depends... the 026-PRO with the two screw carb is the best of the series... more HP than the current "stock" 260, and all the filter benefits.

Your "026" also has more hp than the 260 (stock muffer).

Bigjay - Just as well you mentioned it.. I'll hold the entire project saw until you've poked and prodded it..

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the differences... I didnt think there was really that much different between the saws.

Again, Thanks for all the input

who makes the intellacarb for stihl? mine just says stihl on it ,its not the pro model but it has both H/L screws.

Latest posts

Back