Stihl or Husky ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, my 361 will do to your 357, what your 346 will do to my 260. :cheers:

OP: If you're deciding between those two, 361 is a no brainer. From a guy who owns a 361 and has also ran a 357 quite a bit. :)

LOL... I'm with ya, bro! :cheers:

But have you ever rum a 357 with a muffler mod?

To the OP of the thread...

I'm sorry but all you're going to get are probably smart alek answers to your inquiry. This is such and old debate on here that no one really cares which one... A "vs." thread is almost as bad as an "oil" thread. Beat to death... over and over, and over.

I know you're new here, and from another country... but don't be suprised if you don't get many answers that really pertain to the topic.

Gary

:)
actually, I know this; i`m fine with whatever answers I may get; nevertheless there are lots of points in their answers and I am grateful.

In the end, I will probably go again to my dealers and give it a go with both saws.

do you guys remember your first car ?
my first car was a new one. needless to say that if I were to start over I would do more searching and less haste and leave the feelings for last.

also everybody say that I don`t need a pro saw; I agree; I don`t need one, I want it; I am thinking about the joy of working it. and the longer life.
what can you say about the differences, within the same constructor, of the occasional use and pro saws....if not using it to much, that difference is noticeable ?

Nah man. But I would love to. I do plan on modding the 361 muff soon though. I'm still working on the 660 muff right now.

And, such as is most saw comparisons on here, the difference in power between the two is minimal. Most just exxagerate it alot no matter which two saws are being compared. The handling, weight, balance, etc. are what makes me like the 361 better, not just the minimal power advantage.:)

Last edited:

What ratio do you run that at? Or is it just for you when you're done cutting? :D:cheers:

I still don't know that either saw is more durable with proper maintenance. A friend of mine just finally replaced his old Husky 55 that is about to give it up. I figure if it'll stand up to him, it'll last, the same as a Stihl will. He once took an axe to the engine of his Ariens mower..................

What ratio do you run that at? Or is it just for you when you're done cutting? :D:cheers:

I still don't know that either saw is more durable with proper maintenance. A friend of mine just finally replaced his old Husky 55 that is about to give it up. I figure if it'll stand up to him, it'll last, the same as a Stihl will. He once took an axe to the engine of his Ariens mower..................

100%..lol. Rum is good stuff man, you must try some! :cheers:

Nah man. But I would love to. I do plan on modding the 361 muff soon though. I'm still working on the 660 muff right now.

And, such as is most saw comparisons on here, the difference in power between the two is minimal. Most just exxagerate it alot no matter which two saws are being compared. The handling, weight, balance, etc. are what makes me like the 361 better, not just the minimal power advantage.:)

I just did a MM on the 357 and WOW! It can breath now! Was really choked up.

If I were going to get a new saw right now, I'd get a another 346xp :biggrinbounce2:

Last time I was at my dealer, 346 was $499, 357 was $699.

I'd take the 346xp any day over a 357xp or MS362, and pocket the change :)

To the OP of the thread...

I'm sorry but all you're going to get are probably smart alek answers to your inquiry. This is such and old debate on here that no one really cares which one... A "vs." thread is almost as bad as an "oil" thread. Beat to death... over and over, and over.

But...you love oil threads!

200; what about 70$ ?
the same choice ?

In some situations, I guess it comes down to what do you need the saw to do.

And to be honest, when choosing pro saws in the same (roughly) CC class, the main overriding factor for some (or me at least) is how the saw feels in your hands. They're pretty much all decent performers. Go to a dealer. Pick up the saws you are considering. Does it feel "right"? Does another saw feel more "right"?

Can't really go wrong with a pro saw from Husky/Jred. Can't really go wrong with a pro Stihl either. As long as it's enough saw for the jobs you need them for and not so much as to overburden you with weight you don't want because of far more power than you need.

Everything else is just someone elses opinions on what works for them.

Last edited:
200; what about 70$ ?
the same choice ?

$70 is very close. I'd still take the 346xp, but I rarely cut wood over 20". If
larger wood, I'd get the 357xp. The 346 is an animal and light weight, I love it!

The only reason I got my 357, it was like new and $425. I like it a lot, but only
use it on the largest trees, other wise I grab the 346...

In some situations, I guess it comes down to what do you need the saw to do.

And to be honest, when choosing pro saws in the same (roughly) CC class, the main overriding factor for some (or me at least) is how the saw feels in your hands. They're pretty much all decent performers. Go to a dealer. Pick up the saws you are considering. Does it feel "right"? Does another saw feel more "right"?

Can't really go wrong with a pro saw from Husky/Jred. Can't really go wrong with a pro Stihl either. As long as it's enough saw for the jobs you need them for and not so much as to overburden you with weight you don't want because of far more power than you need.

Everything else is just someone elses opinions on what works for them.
Well said, Chris!!!

Latest posts

Back