Stihl paint color and technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anybody post some pics of a ford grey painted saw?

very nice is that spray paint or powder ?

is it getting ported ?

this is the rattlecan light ford grey from tsc. its the first 044 I have owned so it will reamin stock until im bored and most likely will be shipped off for a massaged 046 top.

Yes, I used the Stihl rattle can noted above for my last saw, and the color match is perfect, of course. But it is not terribly durable. HOWEVER, I found that I could spray it into the cap and create a little pool of touch-up enamel, to be applied with a q-tip to chips, and it works great on both new chips and old ones, when a few chips don't justify the effort to repaint. I found that initially the paint from the can is very thin, but if one lets the volatiles evaporate from the cap/cup for a few minutes, one can get a thicker coating which is nice for the first touch-up on the chip since it fills. I then followed up with the thinner, non-evaporated paint pool which seemed to melt everything together to make an almost invisible touch-up repair.

Glock37 (Mike) above suggested the following RAL colors as matches for Stihl:

the old white: RAL 7035
the old red: RAL 3000 "fire red"
orange: RAL 2004
new white: RAL 9010

I have ordered a decent size paint chip from Columbia Coatings in Tennessee for the "old white" RAL 7035 Light Grey, to compare and see how close the color match is. I will report back. The "new white" appears to be VERY white, and much lighter than the grey on my 009, 012, 026, 034. The RAL color numbers appear to be an industry recognized color standard for powder coat colors.

Robert

Last edited:

These saws where done with 7035 RAL

the 9010 was done on these saws my 064 ,038Mag ll and a 041 super

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-064-restoration.239765/

Stihl has used so many different tints of white

since being fresh its going to look different from a older paint sample

you really see it when tring to match orange

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/restoring-a-pioneer-p50.205588/

Check out the Husky 2100CD it glows and he had to get new plastic too match as close as he could

Randy's p50 the paint was flaking off before Now

it is a Shelf queen Now !

I know this post goes back a few years, but has anyone identified a source for a powdercoat grey that is a good match for the Stihl off-white/grey? Thanks.
I apologize for just getting to this now. This new page has me all screwed up. The powder coat in question is what is called a Primer, there are several types of primer colors, but this one was the closest.

Though the store bought spray paint may look pretty. It usually doesn't contain a hardener and remains relatively soft. It will scratch and get scraped off easily
And gas and carb cleaner will mess it up.

Anyone have some info on the orange that would have been used on the Stihl 070? Mine has been repainted and is all the same tannish whitish color. I'd like to repaint the top cover orange so it at least looks Stihlish. I'm not restoring it, just need something "close". Ive never painted any part of a chainsaw before...

I know I'm digging up an old thread. But do you Primer with white or gray if you Primer at all before using the Ford gray? I want to restore my 360.

I've done both in the past but believe you're better off with a self-etching primer over bare metal. If the saw is going to be used, it's probably going get some chips or wear anyway. I do recommend a couple thin top coats of clear poly to protect from gas and oil. I put these on while the last color coat is still a little tacky.

KIMG0271.jpg Here's one Kubota 2 orange (new Kubota orange) 011AV, sitting on the paint used, and the hardener.

The 011AVT is a blend of 5 parts Ford light gray and 1 part white, same hardener.

Both were bead blasted & primed with epoxy 2k paint, clear coated with 2 part automotive clear. A lot of work for sure!

The other 011AVT is a newer saw with plastic covers. Will likely prime with automotive plastic adhesion promoter and the Ford gray.

Latest posts

Back