Stihl Parts manual needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnbear

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got a new (to me) Stihl 038AV Super Electronic Quickstop saw. Does anyone know where I can get an Illustrated Parts list for this saw? It needs a couple minor things but runs pretty good.

stihl manual

Goto ebay and search for "stihl manual".

Eventually you'll get the 038 one on a CD.

Just double check with the seller that the manual is current for the 038, this to insure that you have all the part upgrades listed.

Stihl protects their dealers very well. Which means they don't like these manuals out and about. Be professional.

Thanks smokechase II. I'll check eBay for one. I got this saw because I needed a bigger saw than my trusty old 028WB and this one feels "familiar" when I pick it up and I got it cheap. It has decent compression but it is 15 years old and I wonder if it may be possible when rebuild time comes to upgrade to the 038 Magnum piston/cylinder which is 52mm bore instead of the 50mm that my Super has. The 038 Magnum is very near the same hp/displacement as the 044 but with more torque and less rpms as far as I can tell. The plain 038 (not Super, not Magnum) is only 48mm bore. Hopefully the parts list will tell me what I need to know as far as whether the Magnum cyl. will fit my crankcase. I'd like to have this saw to occasionally use with a Granberg Mini-Mill for quartering big logs lengthwise so I can get them out of the woods to have them sawed on a Woodmizer. I recently ran into a nice BIG Oak log that was too big for my arch to pick up and too heavy to move where it fell. If I could have quartered it lengthwise I could have fished it out and had the bandsaw guy quartersaw some nice boards for me. I get most of my logs as salvage and don't often get Oak this big or clear that is even feasible to quartersaw.
Finnbear

TimberPig,
Thanks for the link. Someone else here provided me with an IPL and I came to the same conclusion. I'll just settle for 50mm if/when I rebuild but I'll keep looking for an 038 Magnum or Magnum II. I like the 038 better than the 044 and they seem to be comparable in hp & displacement. Any idea what is different between a Magnum and Magnum II? I assume the Magnum II is newer and the final evolution of the 038. As I mentioned before I really like the 038 which is to me a "familiar" feeling saw after running an 028WB for many years.
Finnbear

Back