Stihl Piston and potential air leaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CREC_Sawyer

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone had a happy 4th,
The question I pose to you is this
I've been noticing something odd when looking at the pistons of various saws through the spark plug port. As opposed to the even black/carbon build on the whole piston top there will spots where the metal is clean. They seem to happen on the left and right sides (near where the ports would be) and near the spark plug port.
I am afraid these are air leaks that pull out the carbon leaving these "clean" spots that I have been told are associated with air leaks. Could it be that the rings are scored/damaged there? I also was thinking that the spark plug port could be stripped. I've tested for compression (not vacuum, still waiting on my mightvac) and it holds steady at 125+ on most saws.
Does this theory make sense?
Just curious about what the wise folks thought, as always thanks for your insight

No. Those bare spots are simply where the fresh charge flows from the transfer ports. Your compression gauge isn't testing any seal in the engine. That's a function of the Schader valves of the guage. Besides, the exhaustand intake ports are wide open.

Back