Stihl price on Ebay way beyond retail ... why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHden

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm considering listing a new, spare MS170 which I bought last summer. I've seen new, unused MS170 saws (still $199 new at stores) close for well over $400. Just the standard saw, bar, tool. No porting or other mods or jet powered enhancements ;)

What the heck is going on? Is it that some people are so isolated and just jump on Ebay to "buy a Stihl" with more brains than money?

I'm considering listing a new, spare MS170 which I bought last summer. I've seen new, unused MS170 saws (still $199 new at stores) close for well over $400. Just the standard saw, bar, tool. No porting or other mods or jet powered enhancements ;)

What the heck is going on? Is it that some people are so isolated and just jump on Ebay to "buy a Stihl" with more brains than money?
Availability may playing one role in the high price.

I see the 170 sell new for $175.00 at my local farm supply. I to think WTF at some of the online prices...
Dealers in my area won't budge, say there are no longer any deals or room for movement. Paid full price for MS170 (x2) (hardware store) and MS261 (pro dealer)

When you sell a pro saw , you can not replace it right now. So why would you discount it? There is very little mark up on Stihl saws anyway. We cant get anything made in Germany right now. The Va Beach stuff is available
Pretty soon we wont get anything if they have their way! Know what I mean?

One thing to remember on Ebay is that many people will ask stupid prices on a buy it now price or start the bidding at a stupid price. Check the prices of a 170 with actual bids and you will see them sell for around $ 50- $130 depending on condition.

It does make you think. Is it REALLY the supply chain, which is getting harder and harder to believe,
or is it done purposely to price gouge.
And not only with saws.
You want to talk about gouging look at eggs . They put it on the bird flue. That only effected the meat hens for the most part, the egg layers were only hit about 10%
Smoke and mirrors and dam liberals, that is the problem

Amazon has also started to push a bunch of UVWXYZ brand Chinese products for common things. Thieves and garbage is what it's become. Their layoff probably won't be the last. We do make abundant use of Prime shipping, however, for things that are priced properly and shipped from an Amazon depot 15 miles away ... not Shinzen.

Incidentally, the new MS170 I was commenting on showed as sold for $449 at the end of December but is now shown as relisted. I stand corrected. It looks like the last few real sales were $299 each.

You want to talk about gouging look at eggs . They put it on the bird flue. That only effected the meat hens for the most part, the egg layers were only hit about 10%
Smoke and mirrors and dam liberals, that is the problem
Republicans don't sell eggs? They have plenty on their faces to go around?

Your frustration is silly. Sounds like you don't use eBay often enough, or buy chainsaws routinely. Asking ridiculous, and getting never happen...you are assuming this to be the norm. Like Bubster said, a MS170 is available, on eBay, with a warranty, and 30-day free returns, for 150, right now, times about 40.

What is your point so we can address your genuine concern??

Not really a concern because no one is holding my hand to buy or sell there. Just don't understand how someone can pay $300 or more (yes, they have actually sold higher in the past few months) or walk down to their corner hardware store for $199 sell price any day.

I will list mine at a fair price, only a slight bit higher than store, because it has one extra new Stihl chain and the balance of the 2 year warranty (according to several dealers here, you need to visit them to transfer it).

And I have bought and sold quite a few items, not a business though. The types of items I've dealt with also have really wild prices on occasion, but those items are never sold. (Think $3000 measuring instrument listed for ($15000)

Latest posts

Back