Stihl 261 CM pricing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arboristsite605644523

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been a lurker for a long time and got a Stihl 261c about 2 years ago as my 4th saw (upgraded from the Lowes consumer grade husky junk) and love it. I price shopped for a long time and I ended up getting mine used for about 450 bucks or so. It's been great. The prices at the local stores were all around $600 at that time. I was just checking around and I noticed that my local hardware store has one brand new for $319...... 🤯! I called another powersports store nearby and asked for a price check and they said "about $319 bucks but we don't have one in stock and don't know when we'll get it back". But this was the same store that was charging $580++ when I was looking.

What gives? I checked ebay and they sold for 600+, and even this site they sell used for 450+. So why is the new price showing as $319? Is this a store error? Or is the model faulty or discontinued and they are trying to get rid of it? At this price, it seems like I should buy every last one and resell them or something 😂

Been a lurker for a long time and got a Stihl 261c about 2 years ago as my 4th saw (upgraded from the Lowes consumer grade husky junk) and love it. I price shopped for a long time and I ended up getting mine used for about 450 bucks or so. It's been great. The prices at the local stores were all around $600 at that time. I was just checking around and I noticed that my local hardware store has one brand new for $319...... 🤯! I called another powersports store nearby and asked for a price check and they said "about $319 bucks but we don't have one in stock and don't know when we'll get it back". But this was the same store that was charging $580++ when I was looking.

What gives? I checked ebay and they sold for 600+, and even this site they sell used for 450+. So why is the new price showing as $319? Is this a store error? Or is the model faulty or discontinued and they are trying to get rid of it? At this price, it seems like I should buy every last one and resell them or something 😂
At $319 pick one up for me and I'll reimburse and pay shipping. Whereabouts are you located?

I went ahead and ordered one just to see how it goes. I don't need it as I've already got one but the price is so good.... idk. Feels like a scam but I guess we'll see shortly. Says pick up Friday.

04bff3caf7a05c252ef4f1f1c1c3fb1a.png

Guessing they were looking at a 251
Kinda what I was thinking that they mislabeled it or something... But checking the listing, it's clearly stated as the 261 c-m. I'll definitely check the actual box closely upon receipt.

At $319 pick one up for me and I'll reimburse and pay shipping. Whereabouts are you located?
I'll see if they actually have some first and don't hit me with some "oh yeah that's outta stock but it says in stock sorry about that" bullcrap. But I'll update the thread.

I went ahead and ordered one just to see how it goes. I don't need it as I've already got one but the price is so good.... idk. Feels like a scam but I guess we'll see shortly. Says pick up Friday.

04bff3caf7a05c252ef4f1f1c1c3fb1a.png

Kinda what I was thinking that they mislabeled it or something... But checking the listing, it's clearly stated as the 261 c-m. I'll definitely check the actual box closely upon receipt.

I'll see if they actually have some first and don't hit me with some "oh yeah that's outta stock but it says in stock sorry about that" bullcrap. But I'll update the thread.
If this works out, share the details. I'll order a dozen, or maybe more. Figure I can sell and nearly double my investment.

If this works out, share the details. I'll order a dozen, or maybe more. Figure I can sell and nearly double my investment.
I was thinking the same thing. I tested it and you could "only" put 3 in the cart and they don't ship. Curbside pickup only. But yeah, if it works out I'll add more details.

I was thinking the same thing. I tested it and you could "only" put 3 in the cart and they don't ship. Curbside pickup only. But yeah, if it works out I'll add more details.
I would like to know how that worked out if in fact you did pick up the saw(s) today. It just seems too good to be true to me.

185f80ac6314c9407b978b86629fe7d8.png

Order was cancelled. No word or email or anything they just cancelled it. It was at Ace hardware so I thought reputable enough to give it a try. Idk.....

So, I checked back and they listed it as "In Stock" again so I went ahead and ordered it. This time it said "ready for pickup" so I went down to pick it up. It was the 261 not the 261 cm. Still a good deal for $319 but they said I could just wait till they get a CM in stock. Since I already have a 261CM I'll probably just try to resell it and wait for the C version since I would guess it would sell for more.

So, I checked back and they listed it as "In Stock" again so I went ahead and ordered it. This time it said "ready for pickup" so I went down to pick it up. It was the 261 not the 261 cm. Still a good deal for $319 but they said I could just wait till they get a CM in stock. Since I already have a 261CM I'll probably just try to resell it and wait for the C version since I would guess it would sell for more.

You never know. On this site there are many Fine OUTSTANDING people who claim (unless they have changed their minds) that they would never ever ever own a CM saw. Something about the potential astronomical price of fixing something that might fail, that they could not fix with a ball'peen hammer, or a screw driver, or something.

I’d be looking to buy one a day until they are completely out of stock at 319… CM or not

Latest posts

Back