Stihl problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford's Lawncare

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been selling firewood for a couple of years now. I have a MS 250C(definatly not the right saw for what I am doing)Anyway, I have only cut maybe 10 cord with it so far. Somehow, the sprocket on the end of the bar keeps on jamming, preventing the chain from spinning. What do you think makes this happen, as I have never seen this before or expierenced it on any of my other saws. Like I said, that saw is still almost new and this shouln't be happening. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

After it jams what do you do to get it free?

Is it getting oil?

Could your chain be to tight?

No the chain isen't to tight, but when it jams usually I have to take the chain off and roll the end of the bar against something solid. Its the only way I can get it free. Thats what I thought, that maybe it wasent getting enough oil, but wouln't more stuff be jamming if that was the case?

Are you cutting dry wood longer than the bar and burying the bar rather than cutting around the far side first? Teeth sharp? Keeping the channel in the bar nice and clean? Over tightening the chain? Cheapo bar? Oiler working properly? Greasing the sprocket? So many questions, so much time :D

:cheers:

Serge

No the chain isen't to tight, but when it jams usually I have to take the chain off and roll the end of the bar against something solid. Its the only way I can get it free. Thats what I thought, that maybe it wasent getting enough oil, but wouln't more stuff be jamming if that was the case?

Not if the sprocket jams first. Does it feel hot, or appear dry? If you hold the tip of the bar six inches from the wood with the saw wide open it should be flinging oil onto the log.

Stihl bars don't require grease. Is it a Stihl bar?

Is it possible you pinched it cutting a tree down and damaged it?

No, the wood is only 15" maximum, with most of it around 8-12" diamter. 18" bar on the saw, and the chain is alright. I sharpen it regularly. I havent really looked in the channel on the bar, or greased the sprocket, however it is not a cheapo bar, just the stock bar that came with the saw.

P.S. thanks for the help

If it gets enough gunk in there it will jam the sprocket, especially dirt or sand. Try cleaning behind and around the sproket with a thin wire, compressed air, parts cleaner etc. Flipping the bar over every other tank helps too.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've only beencutting firewood with it, on the ground. I have yet to dump tree's with it. I'll give it good cleaning it barely sends any oil when opened up from 6" away, and is fairly hot to the touch after it jams, which. However, it goes through a whole tank of oil for every tank of gas, so that oil has to be going somewhere. If this is the case, that is is not getting enough oil, what is the best way to fix this problem?

Thanks, I've only beencutting firewood with it, on the ground. I have yet to dump tree's with it. I'll give it good cleaning it barely sends any oil when opened up from 6" away, and is fairly hot to the touch after it jams, which. However, it goes through a whole tank of oil for every tank of gas, so that oil has to be going somewhere. If this is the case, that is is not getting enough oil, what is the best way to fix this problem?

Sounds like it should be getting enough oil, if cleaning it doesn't help it could have been damaged somehow.

I was burying my 20" bar in 30"+ red oak. The mixture of wood dust and oil and dirty bark got the sprocket gunked up. Back to the garage, bar off-on the vise, with small Snap-On pick set and compressed air got it de-junked. Just a maintenance thing. Unless you overheated the sprocket and melted the little rollers in the sprocket.

Latest posts

Back