Stihl questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnm54

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I bought an older 041 Stihl on Ebay. I am not an expert, but am pretty good at figuring out medium level mechanical issues. I have a few other saws that I rely on so my purchase was more nostalgic than anything. I used to cut wood and sell cordwood in high school and early college years with a few buddies to make money---and loved it because of the workout. We used Jonsered, Huqvarna, and Stihl. I loved the Stihl and would the first one out of the truck to grab it.

I am new here, so sorry for the ramble.

We used to do the basics in terms of cleaning the saws, pulling off covers etc to get the gunk and crap out the way on a daily basis.

Anyhow, I paid $300. for this saw on EB and I am amazed at the poor condition. ( I haven't given my EB seller feedback yet...and have never given a bad review to anybody) It was cobbed together with some screws that didn't match, there are a few chipped pieces on the housing and the thing was totally filthy. He had painted it, so the picture looked great. It was strange as well, there was 33 bids on it and I upped it by $5 bucks 24 hours before and ended up winning the thing. I am not mad---I still think the saw has potential.

AND OF COURSE---it didn't run well when I fired it up. I started with the basics, cleaning with the compressor blower, muffler screen (hate touching the carb adjustment screws) I eventually pulled the carb and removed the plate under it because I have gone that far before with other saws.

MY QUESTION FOR NOW IS---Under that black plate is a cap that looks like a fluid cap, but it isn't...almost over by the oil resevoir area, but on the back side It was cracked, so I worked off slowly and it was connected to some other part inside the saw, I got both of them out along with some sort of snap on washer piece that was loose----What is this part of the saw? I cannot seem to find the cap part anyhwere, the part that was under it seems fine and would screw back in with a new cap...I think, but also wondering what that stray snapon washer went.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I love this site, I was a lurker for a longtime, but now as I have more time to spend on hobby stuff, I decided to join.

Latest posts

Back