stihl rsc chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revolution

Revolution

ArboristSite Lurker
what should a rsc chain look like? i got one at the local stihl dealer and they say it is a rsc chain but it doesnt say it on the box? is the rsc chain a safety chain?
is the rsc chain good>?

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Most chains sold today have some kick-back reducive features - the RSC has the big, wide, "bullet-chaped" rakers, same as the Oregon LG.
The Oregon LP has a small ramp on on the drivers, directly in front of the rakers, and the RSC3 combine both, so I suspect it isn't a very good chain,
the worst kind is the chain are the ones with the big bumpers on the tie-straps, like Stihl RM2, PM1, Oregon SL and VG, etc...

The most effective chain sold today probably is the Stihl RSK, as it has none of the "features" mentioned above, just some rather slim rakers, like the LP, but without the ramps.

outdoortype

outdoortype

ArboristSite Guru
look for the yellow drive link..

The aggressive chains like RS, RSC will have a yellow painted drive link. The safety chains will have a green painted drive link. The packaging will also have yellow and green labeling respectively. Judging from your earlier posts, it sounds like you'll be using on a Husq 359 with a 16" bar 3/8" setup. I've used that exact setup and let me tell ya, you'll be tickled with RSC. I

whackerk

whackerk

ArboristSite Lurker
Chains in Canada

Good Morning
I've had a look at the Stihl USA site
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/identify.html
It would seem to me that a lot of what is available in the US is not available here in Canada other then as 'Special Order'

Kevlar have you approached your local Stihl Dealer and asked them about some of the chains offered on the US site??
I recently enquired regarding .325 P .063 Gauge 16" bars in particular, and found that all that was being offered at the dealer level was Canadian made .050 bars, which in my opinion are an attempt by Stihl Canada to meet some kind of Canadian Content requirements...
This could also be the case with the Chain they are offering.
Also I find it very interesting that a "Stihl bar" here in Canada is 56.00 and in the US is 36.00 . No doubt this has been discussed elsewhere.
Whackerk

JONSSTIHL

JONSSTIHL

ArboristSite Operative
that is why I bought my bar and chain from curt bailey for 40.00$
the only down side is that I have to buy my chains in the states but I'm only an hour away from the border and my sister in law lives 5 minutes from the border so I have an excuse to get some chains when we visit.

I have one loop rm safety chain .063 gauge
and one loop of rs .063 and one loop of rm .063 gauge

I have to mention that I only cut wood on the weekends part-time so it works for me.

canadian dealers don't have .063 gauge listed in any books. just another reason to ????? about canadian prices not being adjusted because the dollar is close to par

kevlar

kevlar

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good Morning
I've had a look at the Stihl USA site
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/identify.html
It would seem to me that a lot of what is available in the US is not available here in Canada other then as 'Special Order'

Kevlar have you approached your local Stihl Dealer and asked them about some of the chains offered on the US site??
I recently enquired regarding .325 P .063 Gauge 16" bars in particular, and found that all that was being offered at the dealer level was Canadian made .050 bars, which in my opinion are an attempt by Stihl Canada to meet some kind of Canadian Content requirements...
This could also be the case with the Chain they are offering.
Also I find it very interesting that a "Stihl bar" here in Canada is 56.00 and in the US is 36.00 . No doubt this has been discussed elsewhere.
Whackerk

No I am the local dealer,It's just they don't paint the safety rating on the chains here as they do in the states.They do offer all the chains and bar combo's

whackerk

whackerk

ArboristSite Lurker
.325P .063 Gauge 16 inch Stihl bar and chain

Hi Kevlar
Stihl Canadas response to my inquiry regarding this chain and bar combo was to send me to the local dealer and the local dealer tells me this is not available and not brought in by Stihl....
Whackerk

ents

ArboristSite Guru
Just a comment here, I'm sure you've looked -- Stihl Canada web site is not very robust compared to the U.S. counterpart. The U.S. web has a great deal of info (if you dig hard enough).

:cheers: