Stihl Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackenedTimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New York/Oklahoma, depending on the day...
As I sit here munching on my requisite nightly bowl of Cheerios (the original, not that new fancy crap...) my head is spinning...

A few days ago I stopped into the local Stihl dealer (which is cleverly disguised as a John Deere Dealership) and ordered two saw chains for my 066. Well, i tried to order them, anyway. The dude at the counter told me that Stihl has stopped making straight, plain old run-of-the-mill Full Chisel.

I gasped.

I explained that I had been using Stihl full-chisel for about the last 7 years or so, and I couldn't comprehend why they would discontinue the product. After a lengthy debate, the counter dude got the Stihl rep on the phone. The Stihl rep explained (and I am paraphrasing here) "too many people have been hurt with the full-chisel, and we are no longer offering it."

After I explained to the rep that discontinuing full-chisel chain is something only a moron would do, I was told that I might be able to get a very similar chain from my dealer.

I ordered two chains in the "new, similar" model of cutter tooth, and waited. Today I picked one of the two up (the other hadn't been shipped to the JD dealer yet... I know, what kind of place doesn't make chains on site?!?!?) and gave it a try in the woods.

The chain, while looking similar to full chisel, is not at all the same. Although there are not any excess "safety" rakers on the tie-straps, the cutters look more like semi-chisel than full-chisel. The chain sucks out loud. Running a 20" bar on an 066 with a brand new chain, I was making saw dust while making the top cut of my face.

So, to my questions:

A) has anyone else heard of Stihl discontinuing the full-chisel saw chain?

B) am I being fed a pile of dog crap by the dealer and the rep?

C) what would you guys recommend as a replacement for the stihl full-chisel chain?

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but I need you guys to help me on this.

T

Last edited:
strange behavior out there in the corporate world.

reminds me when the Stihl rep told me there wasn't anything wrong with there chain oilers.

i switched to Oregon chains this summer.no regrets and a lot cheaper.

SOund sliek BS, you can get em onlien probly.

I have about 20 loops of Oregon full chisel regular chainsaw chain nothing special nothing safety. Works great for me, just as well as the regular stihl chain IMO.

I have used the Oregon 72VX (I think...) full-chisel a few times, and it seemed to me that it didnt hold an edge as long as the stihl chain. It was definately cheaper though.

I was looking through the bailey's catalogue, and wondering about the performance of that windsor saw chain...

Just a thought - try a 'real' STIHL dealer (not John Deere - and one that makes up loops from reels) and see if you get a different response.

I don't know if this will make a difference, but they might have a different distributor pipeline, or JD may have imposed some type of restriction on what types of chain to sell, or what types of loops to stock.

Philbert

Mule Fritters!!!!!!!

Head to a real Stihl shop. Friggin Deere-Mart is gonna ruin the Marque.

Options?
Bailys woodland pro/Carlton RC, Oregon LGX(smooth, but dulls quick), and of course Windsor.

But hunt down another shop nearby if ya can. They will likely laugh about thier competitors Huffing green paint fumes.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

thats crazy not really sure how it would be any more unsafe than any other chain? pretty sure they all will cut you. if thats the case i dont think ill be buying anymore stihl chains.:angry2: full chisel all the way

I explained that I had been using Stihl full-chisel for about the last 7 years or so, and I couldn't comprehend why they would discontinue the product. After a lengthy debate, the counter dude got the Stihl rep on the phone. The Stihl rep explained (and I am paraphrasing here) "too many people have been hurt with the full-chisel, and we are no longer offering it."

So, to my questions:

A) has anyone else heard of Stihl discontinuing the full-chisel saw chain?

B) am I being fed a pile of dog crap by the dealer and the rep?

C) what would you guys recommend as a replacement for the stihl full-chisel chain?

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but I need you guys to help me on this.

T

From what I have been able to gather

1. Stihl is not discontinuing- The area reps buy from Stihl and the resell to the dealers, that area rep most likely has stopped carrying it.

2. Yes they are feeding you crap if you are being told that it's Stihl that discontinued it, a local JD / Stihl dealer had full chisel and Square grind too, and they made their own loops in house.

3. I have become a fan of the woodland pro from baileys, it seems (to me) to hold an edge better then oregon.

I run Oregon 72LGX on everything but the 200's and am happy with it. The general consensus from the chainsaw geeks seems to be that Stihl holds it's edge better but the Oregon works fine for me.

I run Oregon 72LGX on everything but the 200's and am happy with it. The general consensus from the chainsaw geeks seems to be that Stihl holds it's edge better but the Oregon works fine for me.

I got so many loops if i feel a little dull i just throw a sharp one on. Each bar i got has at least 3 chains.

I also got a bunch of those vanguard chains, took down the rake's and they cut pretty well.

SOund sliek BS, you can get em onlien probly.

I have about 20 loops of Oregon full chisel regular chainsaw chain nothing special nothing safety. Works great for me, just as well as the regular stihl chain IMO.

I thought that Stihl didn't allow online sales of their products? That doesn't meant that you can't buy Stihl stuff on E-bay. :)

i agree.

the new Oregon chains seem to cut great,are smooth and stay sharp for me quite a while.doing residential removals,you can't help but hit something once in a while.

Thanks for all the replys guys, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Tomorrow I am going to call the saw shop I use in NY and talk to my buddy there and get the down-low on this chain situation. Right now, I am in rural southeast Oklahoma, about a 100 miles from anywhere, so finding another Stihl dealership would be harder than finding a starbucks in the Congo. Regardless, I will be looking into that as well.

Those JD guys always give me hard time when I go in there, always have to break out the books and look things up while I recite them off the top of my head. I think it's the CAT hat I wear everywhere that pisses them off (I love my dozer though...)

I am probably going to get a few windsor chains from baileys and try em out. Also gonna try and track down a 100' reel of Stihl full chisel and just make my own again.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

T

Where do you guys buy Oregon chains! I'm switching to them!

Oly,

Give one or two of the sponsors here a shout for the Oregon Chain.

I have had excellent luck and service from Cuttin' Scott, Spike, and Bailys.
Tough to beat thier prices as well.

Just click on thier sponsor link.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back