Stihl saw purchase dilemma, MS260, MS390, MS391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInMobile.AL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a choice to make. I am looking at 3 saws.

MS260 used, great cond.
MS390 used great cond.
MS391 new in box.

I can buy any one of these saws for $300.00.

No, as much as I may want to, unfortunately I cant buy them all. I would use it for cutting firewood a couple weeks a year, for tree clearing after any storms, and to maintain my property. Not hard use at all. Biggest trees maybe 36" oak trees, but only a few of those and hopefully they will not come down or need to anytime soon. Mostly cutting 10" to 20" oaks, limbs, etc.

Since they are all the same price, which one will offer the best bang for my buck?

Im leaning toward the MS260. It has the black topped white handle so its a pro saw. The others are not pro saws.

Decisions, decisions.

Mike

I would almost be leary of the nib 391 for that price. It might be hot. The 390 is alright but I would probably get the 260 for what you say you will use it for.

a brand new , in box 391 for $300, are you sure its not stolen?
they sell for over $500 with bar and chain here

I just got the word that the MS391 has been sold.

MS260 used great cond
Or
MS390 used great cond

My choice $300.00

Mike

Get the 390,it has the power to cut larger wood and still light enough to swing around all day.
'The 260 is mainly a limbing saw and for small wood.

I would go with the 390 then. Don't get hung up on the "pro" saw thing to much.

I say 260. So what if it takes a second or two longer to cut. It's light, has perfect balance and proven reliability. Also holds it value better than the homeowner saws.

I think a 390 in big wood will out cut a 260 by a little more then 1-2 seconds.

Can ya' put a 24" bar on a 260 and still cut? Not likely.

Absolutely jump on that MS390. I've owned one for the last year&cut countless cords of all different kinds of wood. I mainly use a 20" bar and occasionally use a 25". 64cc's will get a lot of firewood work done.

The 260 is a darn reliable and handy little saw, but the 390 is better suited to your needs.

See if ya can't snag both!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

When you go to look at the 390, take a flashlight, scrench, an 8mm six-point socket, and a small bottle of oil. If the owner agrees to you pulling the muffler, dab a little oil on the muffler nuts as soon as you get there. Then you take the flashlight and look in at the fuel line right where it comes out of the tank. Shine the light right down between the orange rear-handle, and the top of the white tank assy. If there are any cracks in the line where it bends coming out of the tank (there always are) you'll need a new fuel line. They are like $10 at your dealer. Good ammo for getting a discount. Probably cost $35 or so to have it installed at the dealer, so you can do the math on the price reduction. Now pull the bar and chain, and have a look at the drive sprocket. Give it a spin and see that it does not squeal or chatter, plus look at the drive teeth. New sprockets are $25 at the dealer. More ammo. Now the oil has had a few minutes to work, remove the 3 nuts and remove the muffler assy. Any vertical scratching on the piston will warrant substantial price reduction. If everything checks out, put it back together and fire it up. ALWAYS check the compression after you run it when you are buying a saw (the number will be lower, more opportunity for negotiation.) Good luck. If that 390 is in good shape with everything I mentioned, $300 is probably a fair price. Let us know when you get it home so we can tell you how to pull the limiter caps and mod the muffler......

Good advice assuming the seller also agrees. Of course if he/she doesn't you may have a reason to reconsider. I have a MS260 and its a great saw and have cut a lot of 10"-14 in. sugar maple. Cuts and runs great. BUt-I wish I had bought a 361 or in your case a 390. Don't think you can go wrong with a 390 for what your needs are.

a 260 is not going to be very fast in 10" oak. it 20" oak it is out of its league altogether.

Why would say that? Before I got my bigger saws my little MS260 PRO was all I had. That little thing has taken down some big trees. It just takes a little longer... I love my MS260 PRO and I like my MS390 but only after I did a muffler mod to it. Both of those saws run great.

For the needs you described and the saws you have to chose from, the 390 is definitely what you want.

I don't like to recommend a POS homeowner saw, but in this case I believe you are right!

It has a lot more power than the 260, but the quality isn't anywhere close to comparable. I never handled a 391, but it looks like it is heavier than some much better 70cc pro saws, that have a better design and a lot more power - and it sure is notisably heavier than the 390.

Bottom line is that the 260 isn't made for cutting the same wood as the 390 is. That is just a question of size - basically the 260 is a much better saw, even though it is close to Museum status. :givebeer:

Comparing them is a hopeless stunt....:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back