Stihl saw purchase dilemma, MS260, MS390, MS391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would say that? Before I got my bigger saws my little MS260 PRO was all I had. That little thing has taken down some big trees. It just takes a little longer... I love my MS260 PRO and I like my MS390 but only after I did a muffler mod to it. Both of those saws run great.

anyone that has run both should understand what i mean. if you have all day to cut 20" wood, have at it.

Thanks for all the decision help guys. The wealth of saw knowledge here is amazing and I appreciate all of you sharing it.

I decided on the MS390.

When I went to close the deal after work today, both saws were already sold. :censored: You snooze, you lose.

I have a couple of newer green Poulans that I bought used. They run/cut OK, but Im just not sure when one of them will drop dead. They are so cheaply made. I want a better built saw.

I still have my Grandpas Dolmar 112. It was flooded in the Katrina storm surge in south MS in 2005. It was locked up when I got it, but I got it broke loose with penetrating oil and patience. I have it taken apart, oiled, and stored. I have worked on old cars for many years, but never small engines. I was afraid I would ruin the saw if I tried to repair it, so I packed it away.

I have decided instead of buying a better saw (than my green Poulans), I will try and rebuild Grandpas Dolmar 112 and use it. It wont do anybody any good in pieces in a box. If I fail and ruin it, well, at least I tried. It will be great to hear that saw roar again. I havent heard it run since before he died in 89.

I will start a new thread once I get the Dolmar out and see what parts I need. I hope I can still find a piston/rings/bearings/gaskets/carb for it.

Thanks again,
Mike

anyone that has run both should understand what i mean. if you have all day to cut 20" wood, have at it.

It doesn't take me ALL DAY to cut a 20" piece of wood with my MS260 PRO. I guess I have a BAD A** MS260 PRO then.....;)

Mike that sucks that you lost out on those deals. Now that you have this info. you can pull the trigger quicker next time. Good Luck

I don't like to recommend a POS homeowner saw, but in this case I believe you are right!
Wow, Sawtroll you achieved "Saint" status! You got away with a comment like that and nobody (except me) Commented on it!
I'll bet if I made that comment I'd be roasted on the pit!:laugh:
Too bad you (Mike) missed out on those deals, Just keep your eyes trained on the local craigslist ads and react fast.

Last edited:
Another 390 vote. Although its not a pro saw, its still a good saw. I have a 310 (same saw, smaller bore) It was all I could afford new when it came out. I have hundreds of hard oak cutting hours on that saw. I never had a single problem... compression is still great.

EDIT: I guess I should have read your post that they sold.... sorry.

Last edited:
Wow, Sawtroll you achieved "Saint" status! You got away with a comment like that and nobody (except me) Commented on it!
I'll bet if I made that comment I'd be roasted on the pit!:laugh:
Too bad you (Mike) missed out on those deals, Just keep your eyes trained on the local craigslist ads and react fast.

We all know he is full of ####.:biggrinbounce2:

It doesn't take me ALL DAY to cut a 20" piece of wood with my MS260 PRO. I guess I have a BAD A** MS260 PRO then.....;)

Mike that sucks that you lost out on those deals. Now that you have this info. you can pull the trigger quicker next time. Good Luck

must have headers and Nitrous!!!! glad you enjoy your saw. that is what is important, not what some person on the otherside of the country thinks.

saw troll is just lucky that I wasn't here sooner when he pulled that homeowner pos shenanigan! You guys were awfully kind. I like the 029/039 line of saws. I've got an 029 and get along with it just fine. An 039 should make really good power. At sea level things may be different but I've never ran an 026/260 that I was actually impressed with. sure they're light but IMHO they don't have the power to pull $H!t out of a sick elephant. I Cut at 6-10,000 feet though so that may be why. I do know that my 029 makes a good bit more power than the 026s that I've ran. I just don't see anybody being happy using a small saw to cut bigger oak trees. I get away with small saw on bigger ponderosa Pine but its pine. And its very soft.

Bullittman

Nobody said dolmar yet??

...I've got an 029 and get along with it just fine. An 039 should make really good power.....but I've never ran an 026/260 that I was actually impressed with...... sure they're light but IMHO they don't have the power to pull $H!t out of a sick elephant...... I just don't see anybody being happy using a small saw to cut bigger oak trees......Nobody said dolmar yet??

:agree2: mostly and yes, a if the weight of a 390/391 is ok i would strongly suggest the OP check out a 6400/6401 which can be converted to a 79cc saw cheaply.

Latest posts

Back