Stihl Saw Recommendation Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silviculturist

Reaction score
I have had a few saws: Stihl 090, 064, 026 & two E220s, plus a stray Husky 2000w electric.

Some kind soul had relieved me in the night of the 2 big Stihls, leaving me with only the 026 petrol saw & the electrics.

I need a single larger replacement saw. I normally run 16" 3/8" bars on the 026 & Stihl electrics, and 20" 3/8" on the 064. I have plenty of these bars and chains still in the shed for both 16" & 20". I also have a 24" 3/8" bar and about 6 or so chains also, although they're seldom used. There's also some 13" .325" bars & chains also, which I don't use anymore.

I harvest dry timber only, about 20-30t per annum for my wood stove & 4 heaters in my home & shack. I mostly cut dry standing hardwood (Eucalypt) bush poles of approx 8" to 20" max. diameter. My method of harvesting is to cut the smaller poles into 6' lengths for transport home: larger diameters, being heavier, are docked in the bush into more easily handled lengths. This is then cut up into useable lengths in multiples on a purpose built frame with the electrics. I harvest, transport and process about 1 ton at a time. I mostly use the 026 16" 3/8" combination as the lightest & most convenient alternative for firewood harvesting. I also use a Stihl hedge trimmer attachment on the 026. I prefer dry bush poles as they're "stove ready" and easily & quickly handled in six foot lengths.

I'd like some suggestions for a saw larger than the 026 to run all sizes of bar: 16", 20" & (rarely if ever) the 24" bar. Mostly it would be the 20" bar, as it doesn't really make sense to have 2 different sized saws with the same bar size!
I'm leaning towards Stihl's MS362 as an ideal 20" 3/8" saw, but I'm a bit concerned it may be too gutless for the rare occasions that I would require the 24" bar. This would be used for falling larger dry Eucalyptus hardwood trees, and for docking said trees into shorter fuelwood lengths.

Stihl's own guide shows that the MS362 uses recommended bar lengths of 16" - 20", so I'm taking a punt on it's suitability for the 20% longer bar! Would the MS441 be a more appropriate saw for using mostly 20" and occasionally 24" bars?

I'm not really interested in Sachs Dolmar, Jonsered, or Husky alternatives, as my local dealer is Stihl only, and it's all that I've ever used anyway in the 40 odd years I've owned saws.

I'm not as young as I once was, so the smaller & lighter the 20" combination is the better.

:) At last another taswegen on as(gave u a like for that):ices_rofl:
Sorry to here about your saw loss:(:(
are you looking for a new saw or is second hand not an option.:)

A well placed shot to either knee cap may remind the thief not to do that again? Just a thought. Anyway, I know these are not Stihls but if a 372,385,390, came up for a good price I would not pass it up. Sorry about the saws. CJ

461. I bought a 362 last year and it is really nice and handles a 20 inch bar fairly well but would struggle with a 25th bar. 441 is a nice saw but for minimal increase in weight and only about 75$ difference the 461 is a better saw and you don't have to deal with the m-tronics if you get it soon! :givebeer:

I'm really sorry about your saws being stolen. That hurts.:cry:

I sure like my 056 Mag 2. Lot of fun to use. I hear the 461 is a beast. I also like my 660, but people say it's a lame EPA saw in the US version. I have heard the 460 tends to smoke main bearings, but the one I had was a cutting son of a gun. I traded it to the guy who owns the place we had our wedding, for the 650 I still owed him, after he saw me cut the wedding cake with my 660. Drop startin on the second pull in front of 150 people was a real hoot.

The white letters on the top cover are from my first GTG in Limestone, Arkansas. The first of the GTGs for which that thread was started. This saw is an Arboristsite special!:blob2::rock:

One time I stuck a 25" bar on it with a new full chisel chain to buck up some walnut at a buddy's place. Even tho it's stihl not broken in and has the stock muffler cover, I enjoyed that time. It was like cutting balsa wood!

Let us know what you end up with. I bet somebody on here would make you a good deal on one.
Cake 2 online.jpg

441cm mtronic is pretty smooooooth. Starts wicked easy and self tunes in the cut automagically....Enough power for a 24 or 25 inch bar easy. I know the larger saws got more beans to them, but.....are they as nice handling, as smooth in the hands, etc? Something to consider as you get older and want to take it a little bit easier on the old bod....

Back