Stihl Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ok guys I really want to like Stihl saws but they vibrate more and are slower then the Huskies I am running. DON'T GET ME WRONG I am not saying they are all like this, that is why I need opinions from ones in the know. I love my Stihl Kombi 130 trimmer and leaf blower, the build quality and run quality is excellent. Somebody that knows the Stihl line up please recommend a saw that is in the same displacement and performance range as the Gold plated 346XP. I am going to replace my 357XP with a little smaller saw and would like to see how one would do. Thanks. CJ

Last edited:
I own both a 346xpne and one of the new Stihl 261's. Both are great saws. The Stihl 261 is stihl's newest 50cc saw. It has improved features over the older 260 pro and 026. It has better anti-vibe than the 346 or 260, the new air filtration sets the standard for all saws, it is second to none, the twist lock filter is great. It has captive bar nuts, you can't lose them. Feature wise it has to be one of the best saws I've seen Stihl put out in the 30+ years I've been using saws. Although the 346 and 261 are very close in performance, I like the 261 better, I'm not taking anything away from the 346, it's a good saw. There is only about 9 oz difference in weight between the saws, the Stihl being heavier. You sit the saws side by side, take the covers off and it's not hard to see why. Th strato engine of the Stihl requires more metal.
The 261 is a real fuel sipper. Imho it has a wider power band. I find it very close in performance to a 361 with up to 18" bar installed. You may find it is very close to the 357 Husky after it gets broke in with 15-20 tanks. I would much rather have a 261 than a 290 or 310, I personally think the 261 out performs the 310 and I've owned a 310.

If you looking for a saw that will last you a lifetime and is of the quality your looking for I think you would be more than pleased with the 261 if your wanting to try a Stihl. If your wanting to stay with a Husky the 346xp is your saw. You can't go wrong with either one.

Be prepared for the 261 bashers to show up, just ask them one thing, Do you own one? Have you spent time cutting with one?, some people just can't see past their favorite brand, irregardless if it is Husky or Stihl.

I own both a 346xpne and one of the new Stihl 261's. Both are great saws. The Stihl 261 is stihl's newest 50cc saw. It has improved features over the older 260 pro and 026. It has better anti-vibe than the 346 or 260, the new air filtration sets the standard for all saws, it is second to none, the twist lock filter is great. It has captive bar nuts, you can't lose them. Feature wise it has to be one of the best saws I've seen Stihl put out in the 30+ years I've been using saws. Although the 346 and 261 are very close in performance, I like the 261 better, I'm not taking anything away from the 346, it's a good saw. There is only about 9 oz difference in weight between the saws, the Stihl being heavier. You sit the saws side by side, take the covers off and it's not hard to see why. Th strato engine of the Stihl requires more metal.
The 261 is a real fuel sipper. Imho it has a wider power band. I find it very close in performance to a 361 with up to 18" bar installed. You may find it is very close to the 357 Husky after it gets broke in with 15-20 tanks. I would much rather have a 261 than a 290 or 310, I personally think the 261 out performs the 310 and I've owned a 310.

If you looking for a saw that will last you a lifetime and is of the quality your looking for I think you would be more than pleased with the 261 if your wanting to try a Stihl. If your wanting to stay with a Husky the 346xp is your saw. You can't go wrong with either one.

Be prepared for the 261 bashers to show up, just ask them one thing, Do you own one? Have you spent time cutting with one?, some people just can't see past their favorite brand, irregardless if it is Husky or Stihl.

Thanks Indian, this is some of the info I need. I have ran the 346 and was not hugely impressed with it. If I go with the Husky, Eric will see it to be modded. I really want to try a Stihl. CJ

My 261 is set up with a 18" bar and like all 261's comes set up with .325 chain. There is an excellent post by MCW on the 261. We use ours in a commercial firewood operation, we are not arborist by any means but do simple tree removals and clean up storm damage. We also use it for general farm use. For anything 18-20" down it does a fantastic job. I honestly believe most people cutting wood for themselves would be well served by this saw, it's all most people doing there own wood cutting should need. Just to prove a point, I recently used it and the 346 on the removal of a 34-35" cottonwood and had no issue's.
The 346 you ran prolly was an e-tech with the constipated muffler and limited coil, to get the full potential out of the 346 you have to do a mm and replace the limited coil with and unlimited one.
If you buy a new 261 be sure and check the oiler setting, mine was turned down to the lowest setting when I bought it, I turn my oilers wide open on all of my saws regardless of bar length.
The 261 would be at home with any bar 20" and down. I like the 18", I've run a 16" on it an really couldn't tell any difference. I hope all saws regardless of mfg go to the filter set up like the 261, it is just super simple and couldn't be more effective. Stihl was running a promo where you buy a six pack of Ultra synthetic mix and they double your warranty to two years. As I'm getting older, I can see myself running a woods ported 261 in the not to distant future, Brad Snelling has done one and said it cuts like a 70cc saw, which is not hard to believe at all since it is right on the heels of 60cc saws as it sits.
Good luck!

My 261 is set up with a 18" bar and like all 261's comes set up with .325 chain. There is an excellent post by MCW on the 261. We use ours in a commercial firewood operation, we are not arborist by any means but do simple tree removals and clean up storm damage. We also use it for general farm use. For anything 18-20" down it does a fantastic job. I honestly believe most people cutting wood for themselves would be well served by this saw, it's all most people doing there own wood cutting should need. Just to prove a point, I recently used it and the 346 on the removal of a 34-35" cottonwood and had no issue's.
The 346 you ran prolly was an e-tech with the constipated muffler and limited coil, to get the full potential out of the 346 you have to do a mm and replace the limited coil with and unlimited one.
If you buy a new 261 be sure and check the oiler setting, mine was turned down to the lowest setting when I bought it, I turn my oilers wide open on all of my saws regardless of bar length.
The 261 would be at home with any bar 20" and down. I like the 18", I've run a 16" on it an really couldn't tell any difference. I hope all saws regardless of mfg go to the filter set up like the 261, it is just super simple and couldn't be more effective. Stihl was running a promo where you buy a six pack of Ultra synthetic mix and they double your warranty to two years. As I'm getting older, I can see myself running a woods ported 261 in the not to distant future, Brad Snelling has done one and said it cuts like a 70cc saw, which is not hard to believe at all since it is right on the heels of 60cc saws as it sits.
Good luck!

The one Brad did is a real hawg for sure. I would love to run a 261 someday. Especially a ported one.

I'm a full time tree worker and use both husky and stihl at work. I work with a few different crews so I get to use a lot of different saws, as well as my own which are all stihl. Whenever we get a new saw (whether husky or stihl), we are all amazed by how smooth it is, how easy it starts, how powerful. If course the new saw doesn't yet have 2,000 hours of abuse clocked up just yet. It also has a new bar and chain, new air filter, is properly tuned, new spark plug, AV mounts that are still flexible, and a nice new saw smell.

I think even an older pre AV saw which has been well maintained, is properly tuned and has a good bar with a properly sharpened chain can be quite smooth and seem powerful.

I recently spent a couple days using the newest 261 and really enjoyed it. Definitely had the guts of a bigger saw... but then, an 036 seems almost as gutsy as an 046. Where are we headed with this comparison?

There's plenty of threads comparing 346xp to 261. Both great saws to be sure, and as a stihl only owner, I very much enjoy the 346xp. I'm in the market for one of these saws and am nearly leaning towards the 346 to be honest. Only thing holding me back is I don't want to have a second collection of bars/chains/filters/spare parts, and another dealer to deal with. Nice saw though! Great shape for in tree use.

A guy I work with puts it like this;

"stihl is the V8, husky is the formula 1 car"

Not sure I entirely agree with him, but it seems pretty fair. Huskys do tend to be screamers, and many people do comment on the wide usable power of the stihls. If you do decide to go with the stihl, you can always paint the side cover gold.

Shaun

I'm a full time tree worker and use both husky and stihl at work. I work with a few different crews so I get to use a lot of different saws, as well as my own which are all stihl. Whenever we get a new saw (whether husky or stihl), we are all amazed by how smooth it is, how easy it starts, how powerful. If course the new saw doesn't yet have 2,000 hours of abuse clocked up just yet. It also has a new bar and chain, new air filter, is properly tuned, new spark plug, AV mounts that are still flexible, and a nice new saw smell.

I think even an older pre AV saw which has been well maintained, is properly tuned and has a good bar with a properly sharpened chain can be quite smooth and seem powerful.

I recently spent a couple days using the newest 261 and really enjoyed it. Definitely had the guts of a bigger saw... but then, an 036 seems almost as gutsy as an 046. Where are we headed with this comparison?

There's plenty of threads comparing 346xp to 261. Both great saws to be sure, and as a stihl only owner, I very much enjoy the 346xp. I'm in the market for one of these saws and am nearly leaning towards the 346 to be honest. Only thing holding me back is I don't want to have a second collection of bars/chains/filters/spare parts, and another dealer to deal with. Nice saw though! Great shape for in tree use.

A guy I work with puts it like this;

"stihl is the V8, husky is the formula 1 car"

Not sure I entirely agree with him, but it seems pretty fair. Huskys do tend to be screamers, and many people do comment on the wide usable power of the stihls. If you do decide to go with the stihl, you can always paint the side cover gold.

Shaun

Good compairision, I agree with the v8 vs F-1. I guess I am looking for the F-1 Stihl. Having owned a 034 super and ran a bunch of other Stihls they have great torque but I am looking for chain speed. I know I just have not got the right saw in my hands yet!! I am looking hard at a 261. If I go with the 346 I already have a selection of bars with the small mount from my 357. CJ

if you've already got husky stuff then its a no brainer; go 346xp. keeps your life simple with interchangeable bars, chains and spare parts, and one dealer. I like keeping my stuff all stihl because I only run one chain size; 3/8 .063. I think most huskys run a different gauge, so its nice for you to have all your chains running on the same stock.

you wont regret a 346xp.... but if you do, you can always sell it to me :)

Shaun

Last time I looked, it took at least 350 sensors, 14 Video Monitors and over 100 people on a one-car team to "watch" an F-1 car. I hope we're not going that way..........?

Oh, wait........my Stihl's and Husky don't have sensors, sorry, almost lost my head there.........

Last time I looked, it took at least 350 sensors, 14 Video Monitors and over 100 people on a one-car team to "watch" an F-1 car. I hope we're not going that way..........?

Oh, wait........my Stihl's and Husky don't have sensors, sorry, almost lost my head there.........

Buy an Echo that should shut everybody up. Never run one, I'm just sick of the Husky/Stihl debate.

Good luck!

I can agree with what you have said in both your posts. I had my MS 261 with 20" buried in a 36" Maple. As has been said by many here that own a 261 how powerful it is for a 50 CC saw.

Buy an Echo that should shut everybody up. Never run one, I'm just sick of the Husky/Stihl debate.

That's funny you said that because I was thinking the same thing. I did buy an Echo, cs-530, and it kept a 260 pro on the shelf. And truer words were never spoken.

About 10 years ago, I needed a light weight high performance saw, so I bought my first Husky, a 346xp. I love the dang thing, so much so, I bought another one last Fall. Now the new one was a dog (really it was bad), until I got 10 or 11 tanks run through it. Now it'll walk all over the old one.:D

Have never run a 261, but did handle one the other day at the dealer. I like the looks and feel, but it is larger and a bit heavier that a 346xp.

I can agree with what you have said in both your posts. I had my MS 261 with 20" buried in a 36" Maple. As has been said by many here that own a 261 how powerful it is for a 50 CC saw.

Now before this goes the wrong way, like I said I need something FAST. I don't want stump ripping torque if I need that I'll use the 390. A small saw that will pull a chain with a 20+" bar in hard wood is nice but if it takes 10 seconds to cut through a 8" piece of hardwood I don't want it. Most people that I have not cut with before cannot believe how fast you can process a tree with the right saw. Copseys 372 has people staring in disbelief. [I like it!!!] CJ

if you've already got husky stuff then its a no brainer; go 346xp. keeps your life simple with interchangeable bars, chains and spare parts, and one dealer. I like keeping my stuff all stihl because I only run one chain size; 3/8 .063. I think most huskys run a different gauge, so its nice for you to have all your chains running on the same stock.

you wont regret a 346xp.... but if you do, you can always sell it to me :)

Shaun

I have thought about that a few times. It does become a pain having 4 different bar types and chains floating around. Leaning more toward a 346. I just wish I could run a modded one. The weight of the 357 does not bother me in the least that is why I am having a hard time down sizeing. CJ

I have thought about that a few times. It does become a pain having 4 different bar types and chains floating around. Leaning more toward a 346. I just wish I could run a modded one. The weight of the 357 does not bother me in the least that is why I am having a hard time down sizeing. CJ

Then why not just have the 357 modded?

Then why not just have the 357 modded?

It kinda already is. Muff mod, transfer port clean up, no base gasket. Runs strong but it is not enough weight difference after the 372 whippes my butt at the end of the day!! I have had 4 I think 357's and 1 359 and more than anything i want to see if the saw lives up to the hype after being modded by somebody competant. Remember guys for some of us these things are just tools and come and go fairly fast and I am always looking for a better one. As of now I only have 1 keeper. CJ

Latest posts

Back