Stihl Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run Stihl, and Husky. Have run both for a long time, side by side, alot of model's. Maybe the husky vibrate's less. Haven't paid much attention. They are both so smooth. Power weight, it's all so close. I wouldn't say Stihl slower, maybe one model I haven't heard of. The both have so many great model's. the my 044, and 372 are both lighting fast. Run alot of 460's, at work. Very fast, and the 660, speak's for itself even to a Husky man. They have all come so far, but I grew up running, Mac's, and Homelite. It's kind of like learning to tell time on a regular clock, and watch before going digital. I wishh evryone had that experience.

I run Stihl, and Husky. Have run both for a long time, side by side, alot of model's. Maybe the husky vibrate's less. Haven't paid much attention. They are both so smooth. Power weight, it's all so close. I wouldn't say Stihl slower, maybe one model I haven't heard of. The both have so many great model's. the my 044, and 372 are both lighting fast. Run alot of 460's, at work. Very fast, and the 660, speak's for itself even to a Husky man. They have all come so far, but I grew up running, Mac's, and Homelite. It's kind of like learning to tell time on a regular clock, and watch before going digital. I wishh evryone had that experience.

Some of us still like watching the old fashioned clocks Norm...
:hmm3grin2orange:
Sometimes...:msp_sneaky:

My 261 came home running WOT 14,300, tuned by the dealer. I ran it that way for a couple months, there is basically no difference in the rpms, between it and the 346xpne. The limiter wouldn't let me crank it down under 14k, I talked to the dealer and he states the 261 is designed to turn 14-14,300 in its stock form with no issues. It's exhaust note makes it sound like it's turning more. I removed the limiter and fattened mine up a little, running it at 13,800-13950 and imho it just outcuts the 346xp. I'm in no way bad mouthing the 346 it is a fantastic saw, it's power band is totally different than the 261's, I find you have to keep the 346 wound out to get the best cutting performance, pull it hard and it falls off, the 261's power band is from the bottom to the top, much wider, screams at the top and has torque on the bottom.
I'd like to get the 261 ported, but want to make sure it doesn't mess with the power band it has. I like the idea of a saw it's size that would cut with a stock 440.

I know the OP likes his rpms, this saw leaves nothing on the table as far as rev's go. There isn't any noticeable difference in trigger response either. That is one thing I loved about the 346 when I first bought it, it spooled up quick, the 261 does the same thing. I like the quick throttle response when limbing with both saws. The bigger the wood you cut the more the 261 shines, in little stuff it's a coin toss.

My 261 came home running WOT 14,300, tuned by the dealer. I ran it that way for a couple months, there is basically no difference in the rpms, between it and the 346xpne. The limiter wouldn't let me crank it down under 14k, I talked to the dealer and he states the 261 is designed to turn 14-14,300 in its stock form with no issues. It's exhaust note makes it sound like it's turning more. I removed the limiter and fattened mine up a little, running it at 13,800-13950 and imho it just outcuts the 346xp. I'm in no way bad mouthing the 346 it is a fantastic saw, it's power band is totally different than the 261's, I find you have to keep the 346 wound out to get the best cutting performance, pull it hard and it falls off, the 261's power band is from the bottom to the top, much wider, screams at the top and has torque on the bottom.
I'd like to get the 261 ported, but want to make sure it doesn't mess with the power band it has. I like the idea of a saw it's size that would cut with a stock 440.

I know the OP likes his rpms, this saw leaves nothing on the table as far as rev's go. There isn't any noticeable difference in trigger response either. That is one thing I loved about the 346 when I first bought it, it spooled up quick, the 261 does the same thing. I like the quick throttle response when limbing with both saws. The bigger the wood you cut the more the 261 shines, in little stuff it's a coin toss.

I've owned Stihl saws my whole life. Always felt they were a higher quality product. Since trying a few others, Ive decided they don't have the corner on performance... That being said, the 261 is on my "list" of saws to have in the near future. I've seen the fit and finish of them... They seem to be a fine saw just by looking, and I've always loved 40 and 50cc class saws... I just do... I guess I'm weird that way... You can't go wrong with either product mentioned above. What a great decision to have to make!:rock:

You absolutely right Hedge, many other fine saws out there. What is so different in my area, and I'm only 30 miles south, you really rarely see anything but Stihl. I don't think people understand the size of the hardwoods industry here. I've been told by several folks that Mid-American hardwood over in Neosho is one of the biggest if not the biggest buyer of walnut and oak timber in the US, of course they are owned by the Chinese. You would think that someone could carve a niche out being a Dolmar dealer. I've never been able to deal with Rape (race)Brother's. It's a regional thing, this just happens to be a extremely strong Stihl area, there have been alot of good little dealers around for years. I never even seen a jonsred around my part of the woods, just four or five old dollies no newer ones. You find a lot of old Homies and a few Macs, very few echo's. It does a person good to run different brands. You better keep that Halloween saw hid, the 133 dolly will want to eat it, the 460's just going to spit it out.:msp_smile:

You absolutely right Hedge, many other fine saws out there. What is so different in my area, and I'm only 30 miles south, you really rarely see anything but Stihl. I don't think people understand the size of the hardwoods industry here. I've been told by several folks that Mid-American hardwood over in Neosho is one of the biggest if not the biggest buyer of walnut and oak timber in the US, of course they are owned by the Chinese. You would think that someone could carve a niche out being a Dolmar dealer. I've never been able to deal with Rape (race)Brother's. It's a regional thing, this just happens to be a extremely strong Stihl area, there have been alot of good little dealers around for years. I never even seen a jonsred around my part of the woods, just four or five old dollies no newer ones. You find a lot of old Homies and a few Macs, very few echo's. It does a person good to run different brands. You better keep that Halloween saw hid, the 133 dolly will want to eat it, the 460's just going to spit it out.:msp_smile:

Next GTG bubba.... Next GTG.... You'll see what a stock 7900 and a stump broke 372 can do... :buttkick::bringit: :msp_tongue:

Ok guys I really want to like Stihl saws but they vibrate more and are slower then the Huskies I am running. DON'T GET ME WRONG I am not saying they are all like this.....

No....they are.

motivator0a5d72b523ee4d583a2ca7cd54.jpg

Hedgerow, the comment meant, that alot of guy's out there have only run newer, saw's not the old one's. And most of the time those guy's are never happy with any, because they never ran old school stuff. If some had grown up, and see devolpment of some, they would realize the awesomeness of saw's todya. Even stock. I have run most of them, and appreciate them all. But guy's that just learned on digital time, may have gotte'n spoiled.

Back