Stihl serial number lookup help! Stolen??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravely009

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hellooooo everybody!
So this weekend I purchased an ms440 mag and a ms460 mag. Got a decent deal but not such a good deal that I would have thought anything was amiss. When I got a chance to clean them up I noticed that both serial numbers were scratched up. I’ve been buying and selling saws on the side for a year or two and this is the first time I’ve ever had something like this happen. Guess I’ll be checking from now on. I’m assuming these are the wrong kind of “hot saws” and I’m wondering if someone could try to look up serial numbers.. not sure if you can do anything with a partial number but I’ve attached a few photos. My best guess for the 440 is 150437815 and for the 460 is 181815621. The first two photos (cleaner one) are of the 440 and the second two are the 460. Thanks for any and all help!
3D6FC2B2-1464-454E-8B61-56F9F9521318.png2AA51BCE-9675-4F3C-A61B-F3ADAEA5A5E3.png5F2713DC-66C1-4897-8561-2B31FC14C8AD.png48BF068C-39E6-413A-AE68-B520698523FC.png

Hellooooo everybody!
So this weekend I purchased an ms440 mag and a ms460 mag. Got a decent deal but not such a good deal that I would have thought anything was amiss. When I got a chance to clean them up I noticed that both serial numbers were scratched up. I’ve been buying and selling saws on the side for a year or two and this is the first time I’ve ever had something like this happen. Guess I’ll be checking from now on. I’m assuming these are the wrong kind of “hot saws” and I’m wondering if someone could try to look up serial numbers.. not sure if you can do anything with a partial number but I’ve attached a few photos. My best guess for the 440 is 150437815 and for the 460 is 181815621. The first two photos (cleaner one) are of the 440 and the second two are the 460. Thanks for any and all help!
View attachment 912324View attachment 912325View attachment 912327View attachment 912328
id def say they are stolen...…………..

I don't think I would worry about it, do you think any cops would even spend any time on it?
Hell, around here, one can hardly get anyone to show up.
Fair enough! Just trying to do my do-diligence. I’d rather not have a confrontation with someone who sees the saws that were stolen out of the back of their truck for sale on Craigslist ha. I appreciate your time!

I come across quite a few “hot saws” in my area. Usually on the husky’s the tag has just been removed completely. In a few neighbouring communities, saws change hands many times and get stolen a lot as well.
I don’t worry about it to much.
Although I’ve made it a habit to write down every serial # on customer saws, might come in handy one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you decide to rebuild those "hot saws", like split the cases to replace bearings (never a bad idea with saws of this vintage), when you have the cases apart- have a look at the clutch side of the crankcase/back of the oil tank. Not sure with the 046 044 series, but I know some of the 1122 saws had a boss cast into the oil tank front wall of the crankcase and it has a second duplication of the serial number stamped on it.

Latest posts

Back