Stihl should be ashamed of themselves.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the filter is dirty enough I'll spray from the inside a stream of non-chlorinated brake cleaner followed by gentle compressed air.

Back side of the filter will apply a thin bead of Dow Corning silicone grease. Does not melt and run when hot. Helps seal back side of filter. It is just spendy for a tube. Tube will last a long time.

Interesting about the front small washer seal, I'll have a look and see how it is working on mine.

I have had a clean throttle body with much cutting, some in bucking forest fire wood.

I believe the ones that posted as having fines getting past the filter would be accurate for their picticlur saw configuration and environment. Maybe the Silicone grease on back side along with improved washer on the top might help.

If not, for you seek out a aftermarket solution. For now mine is doing fine. If it wasn't I would be looking for a improvement.

Euell-Gibbons-resize.jpg

Euell Gibbons... the health food/outdoors guy who died at 64.

What is the compression reading of the saw ?
I haven’t checked it. But it’s not as strong running as it once was. I’d say it’s down to the HP level of my mastermind 441 I ran before. (That by the way never had anything behind the filter in the exact same conditions).
It needs traded or rebuilt. I’m a little scared of keeping something so electronic for long term. I did really good keeping the exterior looking nice so I could swap it and get atleast half my money back. But the little scuffs are starting to add up. I may need to try harder to find a piston and just mod it and run it till it’s done. Modded saws don’t trade good at all. I took a blood bath on my mastermind saw when I traded it, but I ran it too long.

I realize everyone has different opinions but I can see why op is frustrated. Husky, echo, Sthil 441 and 462 seem to have much better air filtration and need cleaning way less. Would be frustrating to pay that much for the newest best saw and then have to pay $90 more for a usable air filter. I’m sure the 500 is a great saw but looks like they could have improved air filtration quite a bit.

I realize everyone has different opinions but I can see why op is frustrated. Husky, echo, Sthil 441 and 462 seem to have much better air filtration and need cleaning way less. Would be frustrating to pay that much for the newest best saw and then have to pay $90 more for a usable air filter. I’m sure the 500 is a great saw but looks like they could have improved air filtration quite a bit.
I’d have traded for a new one in December if my dealer had one. It’s a beast. I’ve run the hell out of it for a year. 4 air filters, spark plug, 1 fuel filter and a primer bulb. 50-60 gallons of fuel easy.

I could do a side by side by side by side by side between a 500i, a 660, a 572, a 390 and my hotrod 372xpw. However, Ive ran them all enough to know the 500i is most likely gonna come out on top. Im gonna actually do some more felling with the 500i this week just to get a better feel for it.
I would think the 660 would pull a longer 36in bar better? What say you?

I would think the 660 would pull a longer 36in bar better? What say you?
It MIGHT outpull the 500i simply due to displacement and torque, it wont outpull the 390xp though. The longest bars I have at my disposal are 28". I MIGHT have a 32" husky bar around here somewhere, but I never use them.

That could make a decent comparison .
500i will take the 572s lunch money away. Its hard to explain, but theres a few spots in the felling process that the 572 still lacks a little on torque. Both of those saws are wearing equal length bars and chains and Ive used them both enough to feel the differences. Its just something about the way I cut timber, I cant explain it but the 572 will stall in spots the 500i doesn't. I have to "baby" the 572 more if that makes any sense? I cut on average around 2mil ft a year and yet I cant explain the things Im talking about lol.

500i will take the 572s lunch money away. Its hard to explain, but theres a few spots in the felling process that the 572 still lacks a little on torque. Both of those saws are wearing equal length bars and chains and Ive used them both enough to feel the differences. Its just something about the way I cut timber, I cant explain it but the 572 will stall in spots the 500i doesn't. I have to "baby" the 572 more if that makes any sense? I cut on average around 2mil ft a year and yet I cant explain the things Im talking about lol.
Sounds like the 500 has more overall power and torque. Thanks. That's a lot of cutting .

He shoulda used a MaxFlo! ;-)
Euell Gibbons died from a ruptured aortic aneurysm, which is a common complication of Marfan's syndrome. In addition to Marfan's, he was a smoker. His early childhood had been very hard and difficult both physically and mentally. Because of arthritis, he did not exercise much in his later years, which may have also contributed to his early death. A very interesting character.

Latest posts

Back