Stihl should be ashamed of themselves.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it outta be,, deere is raking in millions.............................making the bigshots rich
A number of years ago they wanted to move the world headquarters (Glass Palace) from Moline to China. They decided against it and I have heard that the current CEO has pledged as long as he is in charge it will remain here. We will see how long he is in charge.

My employer pays entry level operators with no training $36 an hour plus shift differential, OT built into the normal schedule and yearly bonus. Plus 401k, health insurance and pension. After 1.5 years the entry level guys gain an additional $10 per hour.
If I was a UAW member at Deere I would question why I was paying union dues for such ****** wages.

My employer pays entry level operators with no training $36 an hour plus shift differential, OT built into the normal schedule and yearly bonus. Plus 401k, health insurance and pension. After 1.5 years the entry level guys gain an additional $10 per hour.
If I was a UAW member at Deere I would question why I was paying union dues for such ****** wages.

$46 an hour after 1.5 years ? Doing what? Just curious.

Well then what would you do? Folks here are not independently wealthy, maybe you are. Folks everywhere have families with bills to pay.

You made countless posts about Deere and the worker wages. Do you really know what you are talking about or not?

Entry level refinery operations workers.
Well, that'd good to hear. When I was going out there kids in places like Choteau, Augusta, etc. pretty much had to leave the state. Or make a little money riding bulls, working for the forest service in the summer, working for an outfitter in the fall.. Not much industry.

That is simply not true.

Depends on how you look at things. Now I know and hope few are working for minimum wage but it is a way to gauge what it took to buy something relative to wages which what you mentioned earlier.

In 1955 the federal minimum wage was $0.75. A new quality firewood saw was $300 thus requiring 400 hours of pay to buy.

In 2000 the federal minimum wage was $5.15. A new 046 was $625 thus requiring 122 hours of pay to buy

In 2022 the federal minimum wage is $7.25. A new 462 is $1280 thus requiring 177 hours of pay to buy

As compared to wages in the 45 year period from 1955 to 2000 the price of saws decreased 328%. From 2000-2022 in less than half the period (22 years) the price of saws increased 145%

As I said earlier we enjoyed cheap saws for years and are now paying for it.

If you prefer to look at inflation then the period from 2000-2021 was 48.6%. We can figure 10% for this years so 58.6%
So the saw that was purchased in 2000 with inflation calculated in should cost $991 today. It instead costs $1280 which equals inflation of 105% I am sorry but from 2000 to today saws have went up at close to twice the rate of inflation.
When I started cutting wood an 036 pro was about $400. Cord of wood $85 I think last time I was in a saw shop a 362 was $750 and a cord wood is $250. That math works out pretty much exact. Problem is at my day job and others with day job, pay has not Increased as well. I barely have the same comfort of living with 20 years experience as a kid straight of college did. Now I may just suck at the day job, that could very well be.

Anyone else use this to seal their air filter instead of the DC?

Mission Automotive Silicone Paste
https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Automotive-Dielectric-Silicone-Waterproof/dp/B016E5E59G
I've had good success with this and it doesn't melt.
I’ve got to where I just remove it and tap it out after every fuel up. Ridiculous I know. Sucker sucks the dust right under it if you don’t keep it super clean and it’s not clean after sometimes as little as 2 tanks. Poor design allows for that to happen. And the endless tune makes it hard to tell when it’s dirty compared to anything else.
It doesn’t even care about being dirty, just changes the fuel to compensate and pulls the air under the filter seal along with plenty of debris.

I have been thinking about the original post and air filtration.
I think one of the first few replies should probably have put this post to bed - I say that while simultaneously keeping it alive!

After looking again at the original post, and also several of the other photographs of extremely dirty saws in the first 20 posts or so of this thread, I think it is the fault of the operator. It is not the saw, nor is it the fault of Stihl.

Air following a vacuum into the intake is going to take the easiest path. Any filter which is well maintained will work well. One which is allowed to get extremely dirty is going to clog. Clogged filters, any brand or size of clogged filter, is going to invite air flow around the filter.

Maybe the solution to the problem is to clean the filter more often, or bring several spares and clean them all later after the job.

Flame away. I don't make a living with my saws. Mine don't get that dirty in years.

I won’t clean my air filter every couple tanks. Will just find something with a better design.
this is the problem, the quick change filter and cover is designed to be opened and cleaned often. When you buy anew design you also buy into its service needs. Since your a "pro" buy a few air filters to simply swap out daily and wash later, glue some outerwear material inside the filter cover to help stop the dust coming through the airflow holes. Also running a heavier oil to fuel ratio will help pass more particles with less wear through the engine.

Back