Waiting on Stihl Parts, WTF?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've never had to order parts for a saw, sans bar,chain,filter, etc. Until recently.

The 500i is down as the chain tensioning mechanism is busted up. I put it on order 3 weeks ago, and still no part, and still no guidance to when it might be in stock. Is this common? Feels like this is 2020/2021 and Covid has disrupted all supply production. I thought everything was getting back to normal. Or is this just a Stihl problem, or a 500i problem.

I don't need the saw anytime soon, and I do have 2 others saws, but a $1500 boat anchor just taking up space is not my MO.

Husqvarna is backed up 3 to 6 months depending on the part, they also had to close a plant due to current economic conditions and governmental push toward battery-powered-everything.

My local STIHL dealer is also seeing out-of-stock on chains, bars, glasses, and saws that I know of.

ECHO seems to be doing mostly fine, though their best technology is 30-year-old pro-sumer stuff, which is great they're filling the call for non-electronic saws that can be fixed without a computer, and have full Parts Lists available to everyone on their website--right on the saw promo pages!

I don't blame the saw companies for the economic climate that's been developing for the past 70+ years, that's our own doing.

I think this is the new normal. I did read that stihl laid off one third of their employees at the Virginia plant. That's all I know about it.
You are correct. But I don't even know if they've been laid off yet, as I think they just made the announcement about a month ago if I remember correctly.

I'm not surprised that you're waiting for parts. I just found two light bars that I've been looking for for a good six months. I went to six or seven different shops in those six months, and nobody had a clue as to when they'd get any in. Very frustrating.

This is the new normal, and it's not just Stihl.

I have one customer who's trying to transition to a just-in-time delivery lean manufacturing model. Right now, while all of this is going on. Boggles the mind.

I hope more companies do this. I'll be happy to take their money, when the 16 weeks lead time they were quoted turns out to be 29 weeks, and they need parts right stinking now.

I've never had to order parts for a saw, sans bar,chain,filter, etc. Until recently.

The 500i is down as the chain tensioning mechanism is busted up. I put it on order 3 weeks ago, and still no part, and still no guidance to when it might be in stock. Is this common? Feels like this is 2020/2021 and Covid has disrupted all supply production. I thought everything was getting back to normal. Or is this just a Stihl problem, or a 500i problem.

I don't need the saw anytime soon, and I do have 2 others saws, but a $1500 boat anchor just taking up space is not my MO.

Is this what you need? The 500i is listed as one of the saws that it fits.

Screenshot_20231004-191147.png

They are in stock over here.

I can send one over if you need it quickly.

Postage from the supplier to me and then me to you would add around £20 though, unfortunately.

That mechanism is the same from other Stihl saws. I just pulled one out of a parts box for a friend’s 500. Same #.
if you have any of those with, 1125, I believe, it will work.

That mechanism is the same from other Stihl saws. I just pulled one out of a parts box for a friend’s 500. Same #.
if you have any of those with, 1125, I believe, it will work.

Yes, this is the model list that 1125 007 1021 is listed as fitting:

Screenshot_20231004-192626_kindlephoto-347019396.png

In general, 90% of what we order arrives the next day. Mid Atlantic Stihl is only about 30 miles away.

But, I have waited 3 months for a cylinder kit for a MS462, and probably two months for a top handle for a MS500I.

So, no they don't have everything all the time. But, nobody does.

Not much excuse for a dealer not having those chain tensioners in stock

In general, 90% of what we order arrives the next day. Mid Atlantic Stihl is only about 30 miles away.

But, I have waited 3 months for a cylinder kit for a MS462, and probably two months for a top handle for a MS500I.

Yup. The one dealer in Idaho couldn't navigate the computer very well, and kept saying, I've never sold such a part. Oh well. Their lose.

Is this what you need? The 500i is listed as one of the saws that it fits.

View attachment 1117551

They are in stock over here.

I can send one over if you need it quickly.

Postage from the supplier to me and then me to you would add around £20 though, unfortunately.

That's the part, and I needed the slider. Thanks for the offer to send one my way.

The two cloest Stihl dealers to me did,nt have 7 pin 3/8 rims

The two cloest Stihl dealers to me did,nt have 7 pin 3/8 rims
I have 7 or 8, need to order some more. I wouldn't know necessarily but a guy comes in who had broken his .404 bar on a MS 661. We don't stock those bars so switched him over to 3/8. Order him a bar to fit the MS661 and .404. In the meantime ...

Not sure how we got where we are, but we probably stock 300 carburetors, or more. For, most anything.
We have isles and isles of stuff.

But, you know how it is, often what we really need we don't have. LOL.

The bigger question: How did you bugger the part in the first place?

I've had a defrost element on order for 6 months for an almost 4 year old Kenmore refrigerator myself.
I guess the good part about this is the freezer doesn't get to cluttered up as I have to keep taking the panel off every so often to manually defrost the coil when the fan starts making noise from hitting ice lol.

Latest posts

Back