Waiting on Stihl Parts, WTF?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not run into the backordered parts as often as I find the part is NLA.
You make a good point.

I find it unconscionable that there is any delay in "common" parts for saws, in my area. Heavy forests, with most everybody heating primarily or supplementing with wood burning stoves. Saws are vital, and become useless waiting on parts. Maybe its me and my focus is on gas powered saws, but rarely do I see battery powers saws. Of course I'm not looking at saw at Lowes or Homedepot.
Agreed. At the 2023 STIHL Timbersports National Championship the STIHL and ACE/True-Value ads on the big screens focused primarily on battery powered tools, with one gas saw shown being home-delivered.

In contrast, the only STIHL battery-powered tool in use at the competition was a blower to clean the stage.

Personally, I think a [Milwaukee Electric Tool] battery powered chainsaw has good use when climbing and for homeowner use, plus the batteries are usable in multiple tools. However if electric tools made sense the free-market would veer toward those independent of regulations, just like cordless drills did.

I've never had to order parts for a saw, sans bar,chain,filter, etc. Until recently.

The 500i is down as the chain tensioning mechanism is busted up. I put it on order 3 weeks ago, and still no part, and still no guidance to when it might be in stock. Is this common? Feels like this is 2020/2021 and Covid has disrupted all supply production. I thought everything was getting back to normal. Or is this just a Stihl problem, or a 500i problem.

I don't need the saw anytime soon, and I do have 2 others saws, but a $1500 boat anchor just taking up space is not my MO.
This is why I prefer husky. Parts availability.

Tougher to find a servicing dealer though.
But the servicing dealers for Stihl are highschool kids working the local hardware store for the summer and on weekends. I’ll stick with husky which allows me to source all my own parts without all the hoopla run around Stihl makes you do.

This is surprising. Local Ace Hardware store is now selling Stihl saws, as recently as in the last 2 months.

I asked if they were now an authorized Stihl dealer, and the guy says, "I guess so". Says they cannot order parts. Their Stihl guy/employee (Gary?) still needs more training. He's at Silver level. Is the next level Gold, I would guess so, and then he can order parts?

What is Stihl's problem that they think ordering parts is so complex that a guy needs to go thru a series of training sessions before he can order a part for a saw? And let him order the friggen parts, they are all on BackOrder anyways. Geeeeeeeezzzz...

:wtf:

This is surprising. Local Ace Hardware store is now selling Stihl saws, as recently as in the last 2 months.

I asked if they were now an authorized Stihl dealer, and the guy says, "I guess so". Says they cannot order parts. Their Stihl guy/employee (Gary?) still needs more training. He's at Silver level. Is the next level Gold, I would guess so, and then he can order parts?

What is Stihl's problem that they think ordering parts is so complex that a guy needs to go thru a series of training sessions before he can order a part for a saw? And let him order the friggen parts, they are all on BackOrder anyways. Geeeeeeeezzzz...

A e has sold Stihl saws in Billings for years and actually stocks a fair amount of parts. Shiptons also sells Stihl and Stocks nothing. Murdochs sells Stihl and didn't even have a spark plug. At least the Bozeman store.

A e has sold Stihl saws in Billings for years and actually stocks a fair amount of parts. Shiptons also sells Stihl and Stocks nothing. Murdochs sells Stihl and didn't even have a spark plug. At least the Bozeman store.

It is a store by store story then. Murdochs in Missoula is a good dealer, with plenty of inventory and parts on hand. RDO in Missoula use to be my dealer of choice, but no longer sell saws.

And there it is my friends. Another reason I buy Husky. I don’t need a dealer to order parts. Or do work on Huskies.

Lots of other options for parts. I'd be calling Stihl dealers in as wide a radius as I was willing to drive to see if anyone has stock. Plus the Ebay link I posted. Is the adjuster mechanism used in any other saw? See if you can buy a junker or post a WTB for it here. Someone will have parts.

Back