Waiting on Stihl Parts, WTF?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had to order parts for a saw, sans bar,chain,filter, etc. Until recently.

The 500i is down as the chain tensioning mechanism is busted up. I put it on order 3 weeks ago, and still no part, and still no guidance to when it might be in stock. Is this common? Feels like this is 2020/2021 and Covid has disrupted all supply production. I thought everything was getting back to normal. Or is this just a Stihl problem, or a 500i problem.

I don't need the saw anytime soon, and I do have 2 others saws, but a $1500 boat anchor just taking up space is not my MO.
Ask a month before you really intend to put the saw back to work....

I rarely have issues getting parts. How many of you ever needed a 20" .404, .063 sprocket nose bar for a 04lG? I needed one, called a neighboring dealer and he said no problem Bill I will set it out for you.

When a new model comes out and starts selling, I sit at the computer and order consumable parts. The chain tensioner would definitely be on the list. I order 10 at a time.
That being said, you never know when something will be backordered or when it may arrive. I am very lucky to have a large parts inventory.
You can still get caught.

Husqvarna is backed up 3 to 6 months depending on the part, they also had to close a plant due to current economic conditions and governmental push toward battery-powered-everything.

My local STIHL dealer is also seeing out-of-stock on chains, bars, glasses, and saws that I know of.

ECHO seems to be doing mostly fine, though their best technology is 30-year-old pro-sumer stuff, which is great they're filling the call for non-electronic saws that can be fixed without a computer, and have full Parts Lists available to everyone on their website--right on the saw promo pages!

I don't blame the saw companies for the economic climate that's been developing for the past 70+ years, that's our own doing.
Echo parts and dealer network is no better and in fact worse. My friend who runs a lawn service bitches like crazy in regards to Echo parts.

I rarely have issues getting parts. How many of you ever needed a 20" .404, .063 sprocket nose bar for a 04lG? I needed one, called a neighboring dealer and he said no problem Bill I will set it out for you.
That would be an older stocking dealer, the new ones on the block don`t want to invest one cent into parts inventory. The guys on the parts counter at 3 places told me upper management won`t allow them to order in parts to put in stock just order as needed and wait for weeks or months for the parts to show up. Recently it was 5 weeks for rim drive sprockets to come in, WTH. I have far greater stock on my hands and shelves than they do.

I guess I just work at a strange place. I asked the owner how much to charge for labor and he said charge whatever I wanted to. I'm like, what the hell.

And, I never order one of anything. Other than say a top end for a big saw or something like that.

Over 7 weeks and the shop where I first ordered the part says it is still on backorder. Saw is fixed, cutting season is over, but I am curious when, if ever, this part shows up.

I'll buy it, rather then cancel, as I've three saws that use the same part, so tis good to have an extra on hand.
I've had to order a solenoid recently It's running really rich and won't idle . It's been 3 weeks and still not here . Same as u it's on back order . Pretty useless really

Observation: There seems to be a war on anything productive over here, including blue-collar workers and their jobs.

In the U.S. the administration was on the news yesterday saying they're banning gas lawnmowers. Husqvarna and STIHL are advertising the snot out of battery power tools, almost nobody wants them as far as I've seen unless they're a specially use tool. (Note I live in a major city so the government is different than in the country.)

I think that's why we're seeing parts shortages on gas equipment.

Also: Husqvarna said at the 2023 OutdoorPower Equipment Exposition they switched to a robotic order filling system and "didn't realize" the long wait for parts that created and is trying to rectify it due to customer complaints.

Observation: There seems to be a war on anything productive over here, including blue-collar workers and their jobs.

In the U.S. the administration was on the news yesterday saying they're banning gas lawnmowers. Husqvarna and STIHL are advertising the snot out of battery power tools, almost nobody wants them as far as I've seen unless they're a specially use tool. (Note I live in a major city so the government is different than in the country.)

I think that's why we're seeing parts shortages on gas equipment.

Also: Husqvarna said at the 2023 OutdoorPower Equipment Exposition they switched to a robotic order filling system and "didn't realize" the long wait for parts that created and is trying to rectify it due to customer complaints.

I find it unconscionable that there is any delay in "common" parts for saws, in my area. Heavy forests, with most everybody heating primarily or supplementing with wood burning stoves. Saws are vital, and become useless waiting on parts. Maybe its me and my focus is on gas powered saws, but rarely do I see battery powers saws. Of course I'm not looking at saw at Lowes or Homedepot.

Back