Stihl should be ashamed of themselves.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried that after first filter cleaning and it just makes it worse.
Vacuum grease. When dudes couldn’t get a seal on respirators in the oilfield because of their beard they’d put some of this on to make a seal. If it would work on that application sure it would work to seal an air filter.

Seems like the recently educated super head of the class engenious engineers at Stihl have a lesson or two to learn about real life.
Thats what happens when you live inside your computer, and doesn't bother to check it out how it actually works.

Seems like the recently educated super head of the class engenious engineers at Stihl have a lesson or two to learn about real life.
Thats what happens when you live inside your computer, and doesn't bother to check it out how it actually works.
Or maybe they don't give a $hit. After all it's about making money. Sell the chainsaw for good money ,charge the customer in the near future for important parts just to use the product... OR, please buy another product of ours 😂
Not sure it will work again... 🤕

Or maybe they don't give a $hit. After all it's about making money. Sell the chainsaw for good money ,charge the customer in the near future for important parts just to use the product... OR, please buy another product of ours 😂
Not sure it will work again... 🤕
Or just maybe they know how to remove a filter without dropping dust inside?

Its a non issue! Tell ya what, if anybody wants to PM me a cell number to send a pic to so you can post it, I will go outside right now, pull my 3?4? week old 500i out of the truck, pop the cover off, and send you a pic to post right here. Ive probably cut 75000 ft or so with it now and Ive yet to take the cover off and look at the filter so you will be seeing it for the 1st time just like me. I AM NOT CONCERNED WITH THE FILTRATION AT ALL! Put up or shut up! as they say.

I’ve run chainsaws well over 20 years and never had this kinda issue. It’s Stihl’s problem not mine.
I’m all for modifying stuff, but having to modify it just to be right is BS. They need to recall and fix this. Never have I had a vehicle or device that an aftermarket air filter cleaned the air as good as stock.
I’d probably buy another because the thing is so light and mean, but I can’t even trade it because dealer doesn’t have one. (Hasn’t for 3 months) I’m fixing to be back to running a 440 when this looses compression from all the wood running through it.

If harbor freight sold something that had this kinda flaw, they would throw a spare piston in the box with it.
Recalls are for safety issues that involve the Feds. This would be more of a service bulletin type of thing.

OH ITS HORRIBLE! AWFUL I TELL YOU! Even though nobody has called my bluff on it, I just now went out and took the cover off my 500i and took pictures as I went. Keep in mind I haven't even took the plastic cover off until just now. There was MAYBE 1/4 THIMBLE full of dust on the outside of the filter. After carefully removing the filter so as not to disturb what was on the intake plate, I could gather up what SUPER SUPER FINE dust there was, lay it on a mirror, work it into a line with a razor blade AND SNORT IT UP MY NOSE AND NEVER EVEN SNEEZE! Husqvarnas have always had superior filtration up til now, now they are behind the game! A 460 or 461 would have had enough dust in it to not even see the filter and enough fines in the intake and on the butterfly to choke a junkie and we all know how long those saws held up and ran. This new saw got it right in all respects and I will freely admit it and jump ships to the 500i Stihl. NOBODY is as much of a diehard Husqvarna man as me, but Ive always said when Stihl could make a saw that pound for pound would outcut a husky, I would buy one and that's exactly what I have done.

OH ITS HORRIBLE! AWFUL I TELL YOU! Even though nobody has called my bluff on it, I just now went out and took the cover off my 500i and took pictures as I went. Keep in mind I haven't even took the plastic cover off until just now. There was MAYBE 1/4 THIMBLE full of dust on the outside of the filter. After carefully removing the filter so as not to disturb what was on the intake plate, I could gather up what SUPER SUPER FINE dust there was, lay it on a mirror, work it into a line with a razor blade AND SNORT IT UP MY NOSE AND NEVER EVEN SNEEZE! Husqvarnas have always had superior filtration up til now, now they are behind the game! A 460 or 461 would have had enough dust in it to not even see the filter and enough fines in the intake and on the butterfly to choke a junkie and we all know how long those saws held up and ran. This new saw got it right in all respects and I will freely admit it and jump ships to the 500i Stihl. NOBODY is as much of a diehard Husqvarna man as me, but Ive always said when Stihl could make a saw that pound for pound would outcut a husky, I would buy one and that's exactly what I have done.

Sounds just awful. :laughing:

Document the rebuild. With that much saw dust flowing thru the saw there should be ample evidence to start a class action lawsuit against Stihl -- Total Refund and Punitive Damages.... Rudy Giuliani are you looking for work??? Don't wait for the evidence, just start the court filings.

I have a old round paint brush that I use around the fuel and oil caps. When you flip up the cap you can get more sawdust removed before opening the caps. Something simple and fast prevents crap going into the tanks in the first place.

Popping open the caps when packed with sawdust is just asking for service down the road.

I have a old round paint brush that I use around the fuel and oil caps. When you flip up the cap you can get more sawdust removed before opening the caps. Something simple and fast prevents crap going into the tanks in the first place.

Popping open the caps when packed with sawdust is just asking for service down the road.
I have a shop rag in my tote that I use to wipe the caps and the area around them before removing the caps. I also wipe the o-rings and sides of the caps off after I remove them from the tanks to remove any debris there. Yes, it takes a few moments to do this but it's quicker and cheaper than the alternatives of a saw that won't run and a new filter.

All I hear is crickets, I guess that answers the question about filtration. I was willing to put up or shut up about it, thing is, nobody else seems to be willing.
Month old saw, who cares. Call me when you get the first piston worn out.

Recalls are for safety issues that involve the Feds. This would be more of a service bulletin type of thing.
Looks like there was a parts issue on the early serial number saws and they have improved it, but chose to not fix the old ones.
I got good life out of mine in spite of the issue. But I’m guessing it’s about half what I I should have done on piston #1. I’m gonna put a meteor in it I guess. Not willing to spend the money for the Stihl kit with piston and jug.

Back