stihl sprocket 3/8" 7 or 3/8" 8 ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da new feller

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i recently picked up a 066 magnum and was curious if there is an advantage running one over the other, or does this have something to do with bar lengths? like if i was running say a 20" bar would it behoove me to change over when i put my 28", 32", or 36" bar on? and while i got you here, i also have a .404 8 and have a 25", 32", and 36" .404 bars, any real advantages or disadvantages between running 3/8" chain v.s. the .404"?

sorry if i'm :deadhorse: here. :hmm3grin2orange:

8t would give you more chain speed but less torque. So if you have a 20" bar on your saw, you can use the 8t to pick up speed and really wouldn't notice the lose in torque because the bar is short. When you use a larger bar, torque will be needed and the 7t will work the best. I would comfortably use an 8t on bars up to 28". I would also stay with 3/8 chain and bar because really .404 has no advantages besides strength. It is larger, so it will make your saw work harder and actually slow your saw down..

I see you don't like your 064, you wanna sell it?

Most of the time my 660 wears a 25" with 8 t 3/8. Cutting the full length of the bar it feels about as fast as using half the bar. I'd be tempted to go 9 t if it was availuble. I have a 32" bar but I can't remember the differance in the way it pulled its been to long ago for me to remember and I only used it 1 or 2 times.

On my 066 I run a 28" ,8T 404. The 8T is like a 9T 3/8 in diameter. But the 404 chain is one tough longlasting chain. I look at a 3/8 chain after running the 404 and it looks like a little .325. The 066 if tuned properly has all the power you need with the 404, even with the 8 T. I have top speed for the odd small timber and some limbing when my smaller saws aren't nearby.The 404 stays sharper alot longer and more top plate to sharpen then the 3/8s with it more durable larger cutters.

Spent the better part of yesterday cutting some decent sized ash with 066 9pin 3/8 rim and 20 inch Bar, Works great with 9 even 10 if the bar heal is trimmed. It's a ported saw so has a little more torque than stock. Recently put a 10 T on a stock 395 and that was too much for it, but it was fine with a 9 pin.

Use 8 pin on my saw with 32 inch bar and it's ok.

I wouls stay away from 404, really no advantage for an 066 sized saw. Maybe 404 with an 088 or 090 in your big west coast softwood?

Last edited:
I quess it depends what kind of work your doing with your 066. In my residential tree removal business I'm into alot of dirty wood with nails, closeline, even horseshoes embedded in them. The 404 takes alot of abuse.

Willard.

Most of the time my 660 wears a 25" with 8 t 3/8. Cutting the full length of the bar it feels about as fast as using half the bar. I'd be tempted to go 9 t if it was availuble. I have a 32" bar but I can't remember the differance in the way it pulled its been to long ago for me to remember and I only used it 1 or 2 times.

Being as I have so many saws, my 660 (w/dual port muffler, with both ports enlarged well beyond stock) is usually fitted with a 36' bar, and 8 tooth sprocket, which it pulls just fine. We don't have a lot of hardwood, but I'd think that a 7t would be better for harder woods like oak.

I have a 9t for the ported 3120 for the wee bit of racing that I do. She's a ripper with a 20 inch bar, that's fo sho!! Could pull a 10t but that would require bar heel shaping.

Latest posts

Back