Stihl top handle saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier

ArboristSite Operative
So I was picking up some parts yesterday at a Stihl dealer and overheard a guy kind of causing a scene because they would not sell him a 192 top handle saw for his own home use. They kept telling him that Stihl is now making the dealers only sell top handle saws to actual licensed arborists and one needs to have the credentials in order to purchase.

Has anyone else heard or know anymore on this ? First I have heard on it, maybe it's new policy ?

big t double

big t double

Addicted to ArboristSite
So I was picking up some parts yesterday at a Stihl dealer and overheard a guy kind of causing a scene because they would not sell him a 192 top handle saw for his own home use. They kept telling him that Stihl is now making the dealers only sell top handle saws to actual licensed arborists and one needs to have the credentials in order to purchase.

Has anyone else heard or know anymore on this ? First I have heard on it, maybe it's new policy ?
I don't think that's totally true about needing certifications but the fact that Stihl doesn't want homeowners buying top handles is true. They try to persuade dealers to not sell them to homeowners. They've also recently made it so no matter who buys the top handles they only get the 90 day professional warranty.

Swamp Yankee

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Cash tops the legal disclaimer hands down.

Dealer has the right to refuse a sale, but he's just fooling himself and losing a sale, The customer will just go to the next dealer. Stihl may have company policy boiler plate "recommending" buyer/user application criteria, many products other than saws do, but no dealer I know will not sell a top handle to a homeowner.

No different than me, as a homeowner, plunking my butt down on my commercial Scag Z-turn and mowing my lawn with those high speed, faster than max. allowed homeowner machine, blades. I can assure you the dealer when I bought it, had no qualms about taking my money and in no way tried to talk me out of it.

Short answer, as I see it, like so many things in life, it's all about personal responsibility.

Take Care

sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier

ArboristSite Operative
The dealer was firm that Stihl does not allow top handle saws to be sold to anyone but but arborists, but how is that enforced, qualified, etc, i do not know. there are so many " arborists" who are far more clueless than some homeowners on anything safety related.

I would not be surprised if some hefty lawsuits brought on by injuries involving top handles made this new stipulation occur.

sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier

ArboristSite Operative
The surprising thing is this dealer as most like the Spring rush and the sales that come with, so they have plenty of saws in stock, demand is there also, so why turn away a sale now and repeat sales in the future?

I will make some calls tomorrow and see if BS or ???

user 64030

user 64030

ArboristSite Guru
This interesting, and I could see a company trying this to hedge off potential lawsuits... Had mine for years, my dealer had no quarms about selling it to me. Knows I am no arborist, even told him I wanted a small saw that can ride on my ATV for light limb cutting, and trail clearing.... Some of my trail rides are 80 mile loops and coming into a narrow 2-track w/ a tree top across the trail makes for an interesting day :D

I need to make a trip to my JD/Stihl guy for a impulse line for my z-turn mower, I will ask him about it.

dw

sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier

ArboristSite Operative
made some calls today and found out that top handles saws are supposed to sold only to arborist. Went into affect after the new year. Now it still leaves questions on qualifying who is an arborist?

Did not get an answer as why the change, and I am sure some dealers will still sell like they been, right move or wrong move for Stihl, who's to say

user 64030

user 64030

ArboristSite Guru
made some calls today and found out that top handles saws are supposed to sold only to arborist. Went into affect after the new year. Now it still leaves questions on qualifying who is an arborist?

Did not get an answer as why the change, and I am sure some dealers will still sell like they been, right move or wrong move for Stihl, who's to say

Dims to dollars it came from some lawsuit, I can jsut hear the guy now with his lawyer...

"Well if it is meant for only pros why'd the dealer sell it to me? How was I to know the blade thing could come up and cut me?"

I am sure they will still be sold, some will stick w/ it some will let it slide. I'd say if you been dealing w/ the dealer for a while, and buying "other" arborist supplies, it won't matter what card is in the wallet they will sell you one.

dw

pro94lt

pro94lt

Addicted to ArboristSite
My dealer won't sell homeowners the yellow rsc chain in 3/8 lp in 14 and 16 inch lengths... not sure what else maybe stihl started this too? It used to be out in the front and they have moved it all in the back...

Latest posts