Stihl Turbine Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wonder if it has flippy caps and what kind of oil it takes.

Holy cow, WANT
Pyndn.gif

(Is that Werner Von Braun running it?)

It will be interesting to see if anyone else steps up and builds one. The model turbine engines have come a long way, used in flight suits and other experimental applications.
There are a few flying helicopter models using turboshafts, it would seem a likely place to start looking for parts.
I heard a guy made a model Abrams tank that runs a turbine, but I have not seen pictures or video of it, so to me it's just a rumor, but I hope it's true.

Seen this quite a while ago on another forum. More or less a novelty in my mind. Lots of cool factor, zero real usefulness. I'd hate to know the money he has in it, those turbine engines are extremely expensive and need very good maintenance program. I have a mate that has a turbine in a scale boat and about every 25 hours of run time it gets taken apart and checked out. The ceramic bearings can't get any play in them, and if so the turbine gets sent out to the mfg for a rebuild. Very complicated little things.

I have some experience with small turbines in R/C aircraft and there is only 1 advantage I can think of other than bragging rights and thats how smooth it would be however the disadvantages would include noise, low torque, lengthy start up and spool up to be ready to cut, maintenance nightmare, high cost, insane fuel consumption, expensive fuel, and most likely would need aux power unit because I don't think a simple pull start will do it. All that said the bragging rights outweigh the disadvantages to me anyway

The pull start is a novelty on it, it's electric start Like all the other turbines I've seen. I haven't seen high fuel costs, the one my mate has runs on kerosene, it is a pig though.

...those turbine engines are extremely expensive and need very good maintenance program. I have a mate that has a turbine in a scale boat and about every 25 hours of run time it gets taken apart and checked out. The ceramic bearings can't get any play in them, and if so the turbine gets sent out to the mfg for a rebuild. Very complicated little things.
Interesting...and surprising. I once read about the maintenance schedule on aircraft turbofans, and it was NUTS how long they could go with essentially ZERO maintenance...if I recall right, the oil-change schedule was something like "every 400,000 years or 600 trillion tons of kerosene burned, whichever comes first..."

Basically, it sounded like you could do nothing more than put fuel into them until the planet ran out of petroleum, then consider refitting them to burn a different fuel.

Interesting...and surprising. I once read about the maintenance schedule on aircraft jet engines, and it was NUTS how long they could go with essentially ZERO maintenance...if I recall right, the oil-change schedule was something like "every 400,000 years or 600 trillion tons of kerosene burned, whichever comes first..."

Basically, it sounded like you could do nothing more than put fuel into them until the planet ran out of petroleum, then consider refitting them to burn a different fuel.
Im not an expert on them by any means and the jet I'm basing off of is in a large scale boat so that may have something to do with it as well, I do know my mate has complained a few times that it needed to be sent out and fitted with new bearings. I don't think they are in any kind of oil bath like a full sized turbine.

Part of the thing with model turbines is that they are not made in huge factory with years of R&D at every step. Going from memory, they started with some guys playing around in a garage and saying "yeah, I think we can make a working one."
At least the early turbines had to spin at insane speeds because they were so small. I recall them reaching speeds over 200,000rpm just to make usable power. That eats bearings.
Anyway, tech has come a long way since then, I stopped actively following it over ten years ago, at that point they had reached self contained starters and computer control modules that made them pretty easy to run.

Supposedly it generates 5.1kW(6.8 hp) at 12k RPM at the clutch, which is the same as the MS500i.
I know which one I would rather have, but the dawgs on the Jet are pretty cool.
That's not accurate a wren mw-44 is rated at 4hp. The driven turbine looses some power transmission through it.
The mw-54 is rated at 8hp

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211001-121213_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-121213_Samsung Internet.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20211001-121549_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-121549_Samsung Internet.jpg
    754.5 KB · Views: 2
The pull start is a novelty on it, it's electric start Like all the other turbines I've seen. I haven't seen high fuel costs, the one my mate has runs on kerosene, it is a pig though.
The electric start makes sense I was wondering because I know how much it takes to start a much smaller turbine and I didn't think a pull would do it. Kerosene would be much cheaper than JP5 which is 6.00 a gallon and I figure it will consume 5-6 gals an hour but that's just a guess based on what the smaller ones use that I have experience with. The BRAGGING RIGHTS tho lol

Latest posts

Back