Stihl vs Oregon chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Oregon Super 20 chain for their Stihl? I have always used Stihl RM and RS chains on my 025, but recently in a search for a less expensive alternative, I ran across the Super 20. Just looking for the good or the bad. Not too many options out there for my saw.

Ed

FYI: 025 with modded muffler, 18" bar with RS chain (.325, .050, 68 drive links), cutting lots of big cherry and red oak.

If you sharpen your chains keep buying the Stihl brand they stay sharp longer if your buying them and tossing them when they get dull then the Oregon chain might be for you... Just my two cents....:)

I think the super 20 is a good alternative on the relatively weak 025, because the cutters are a bit smaller and offer less resistance than RS in the cut.
The super 70 is very good, and the super 20 are the .325 version of that one.

The Oregon alternative for the RM .325 is the BP (I have never used that one).

Staysharp of the stihl chain is slightly better, but the Oregon are slightly faster to sharpen, and at least in theory they can get sharper, because of the thinner chrome.

Just try it! - Chains are not that expensive.....:blob2: :blob2:

Last edited:
Unless you have someone local to spin up Oregon loops, the price for Oregon chain+ shipping is about the same as Stihl chain bought at the shop.

Thats my situation anyway, I can get Oregon chains usually a bit cheaper online, but the shipping charges bring me up to what Id pay if I went to the saw shop.

Latest posts

Back