Stihl white...ford grey

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
FWIW, a few guys over at tractorbynet use it on their tractors and have reported great results concerning wear and resistance to fuels without any baking. If you make it over there, search for Soundguy's threads (same username on a few tractor sites). He restores old Ford tractors and can offer some feedback regarding long term durability.

If I repaint my tractor I am making the 5 hour drive (one way) to pick some of those paints up from TSC. From what I have seen it will definitely be worth the drive.

Thanks to whitedogone for starting this thread. I wonder if they make that paint in Jonsereds colors? .....

The paint I use is a multi component urethane used on heavy equipment and is designed to be used out in the elements and exposed to fuels and oils etc. I have to mix it to specific ratio`s and then spray it through one of my HVLP guns and its a lot of prep and then the cleanup of the gun and mixing utensils. The paint is really durable and does not require baking. I also use either etching primer or epoxy primer under the paint so that`s a lot of work to paint one saw at a time. The one good thing is that we get the paint by the gallon/gallons to paint heavy earth moving equipment so there is lots to play with. The Kubota tractors and excavators use the orange and off white that I used to paint my 066 with today.
Pioneerguy600

whitedogone

whitedogone

Addicted to ArboristSite
The paint I use is a multi component urethane used on heavy equipment and is designed to be used out in the elements and exposed to fuels and oils etc. I have to mix it to specific ratio`s and then spray it through one of my HVLP guns and its a lot of prep and then the cleanup of the gun and mixing utensils. The paint is really durable and does not require baking. I also use either etching primer or epoxy primer under the paint so that`s a lot of work to paint one saw at a time. The one good thing is that we get the paint by the gallon/gallons to paint heavy earth moving equipment so there is lots to play with. The Kubota tractors and excavators use the orange and off white that I used to paint my 066 with today.
Pioneerguy600

Now that right there is some durable stuff! Kind of hard to use that stuff in home or small shop. You've really got to watch those hardeners. Supplied air or nothing! That stuff will :censored: you up BAD and it doesn't take much at all to do it. You don't even have to breath it. Bad $hit. WDO

cjcocn

cjcocn

Tree Freak
Now that right there is some durable stuff! Kind of hard to use that stuff in home or small shop. You've really got to watch those hardeners. Supplied air or nothing! That stuff will :censored: you up BAD and it doesn't take much at all to do it. You don't even have to breath it. Bad $hit. WDO

Yea we use containment suits and supplied air when painting the bigger stuff and paint small parts in a downdraft booth ,use ppe gear always.
Pioneerguy600

That's why I haven't used it yet. I am not set up for it and need to learn more before trying it as it is bad stuff to be ingesting!

I get along okay with a local painter and may end up renting his shop for the priming and painting if I can do so without paying ton$ of cash.

The tractor is just a learning experience and if I use the rattle can stuff on it then that would be okay too. My main interest is in learning about tractors so I can move on to one with a 3pt and FEL.

That Valspar tractor paint is fine, but trust me do not try to clear coat it with the plasti coat clear on the shelf nearby.

It's fine on the Valspar oil based paint but not the tractor paint.

Thanks, that is good to know.

This thread is good reading!

:cheers:

Douglas 100

Douglas 100

ArboristSite Lurker
Stihl Paint

For european/british colleagues I am told that the paint comes under the RAL standard. The challenge is matching it. Stihl UK have the paint as discontinued. So the only option is to have some made up.

Will keep you posted if successful.

jockeydeuce

jockeydeuce

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
That's wierd!! I was just going to bump this thread back to life earlier today.

There are two different Ford tractor greys and the darker one is the easiest to find. Does anyone know of a "Plastikote" paint # for the light grey that is close to the Stihl color?? Or any other common paint company??

Roy Cobb

Roy Cobb

ArboristSite Member
stihl logo

Well some of you might have seen another post of mine where I was trying to match Stihl white with Rustolem. Well long story short I ended up using Valspar Ford Grey from TSC. It's a VERY close match. Just wanted to share the info. The lighting is different but the actual colors are too close to one another is hard to tell the difference. WDO
IMG_5111.JPG

IMG_5125.JPG

Is the cover the same in both pics, just wonderin what happened to the stihl logo rivets.

super3

super3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Is the cover the same in both pics, just wonderin what happened to the stihl logo rivets.

That's the one you get now if you order a new badge. El cheapo plastic pop on.:censored::censored:holes.

Only alternative is find nos or have it printed at a sign shop.

DieselOnly

DieselOnly

ArboristSite Member
Well some of you might have seen another post of mine where I was trying to match Stihl white with Rustolem. Well long story short I ended up using Valspar Ford Grey from TSC. It's a VERY close match. Just wanted to share the info. The lighting is different but the actual colors are too close to one another is hard to tell the difference. WDO
IMG_5111.JPG

IMG_5125.JPG

WDO,

Was this done with a spray can right off the shelf? What kind of prep did you do to the piece, media blast, prime (# of coats)? I have a piece of stihl hardware I want to paint and it looks like you got professional looking results (operator experience perhaps?).

What part of IL are you in? I'm in Madison county across the river from STL.

Latest posts