Stihl's Recent Model Changes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattaggie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just sold our last MS211, which Stihl has discontinued in favor of the MS211C-BE (EZ start and quick chain adjust). They did the same thing with the MS180C-B for the MS180C-BE. I don't like this move. Most people do not need/want these features and it raises the price by around $30. We have long carried the MS211 and 211C. Sold a lot more of the 211. Same goes with 180 vs 180C.

There now exists 171, 181, 251. But each saw is about one pound heavier, same HP, and about $20 more expensive. These saws exist to meet EPA regulations correct?

It just seems like prices are going way up but performance is not. These homeowner grade saws are just getting too expensive in my opinion. I guess people will keep buying stihl saws because they are Stihl. I'm sure there is a lot more to these model changes than I am aware of. Im just trying to look at their line-up from a consumer point of view. Any Stihl guys out there that can shed some light on these changes?

You are 100% right about those added "features" - they just add weight, complexity and price for no gain at all! :msp_rolleyes:

That's too bad. The MS 211 had received some favorable reviews, and compliments on improvements over the MS 210. I like to keep things simple: the tool-less chain adjust makes the side cover more complicated and the saw harder to clean. The Easy-to-Start feature, well, is it that important on such a small saw? If so, maybe the user needs to go electric.

Surprising to hear that STIHL will not make the basic units available, when they offer such as wide variety of saws that are so close to each other. Maybe they make more profit on these features?

Could it be that STIHL USA is still selling these models but your regional distributor has decided not to carry them?

Philbert

My ms210C is handy for 5-min. jobs around the yard; set the chain and go. Also good as a beater saw for clearing trails and @ stone walls with brush & vines. But it weighs just as much as the ms260 Pro, so the 260 comes out for limbing, smaller trees, and any "real work". When the 210 is pushed (like in a stump) and gets hot, the quick-adjust chain tensioner expands and becomes impossible to turn by hand without letting it cool or pouring cold water over it. Got it cheap used; not going to sell it, but wouldn't buy another like it.

Most likely Stihl's marketing has told them that typical homeowners see the value in these features and will pay for them and aren't using the saws long enough at a time to feel the added weight.

Could it be that STIHL USA is still selling these models but your regional distributor has decided not to carry them?

That does happen sometimes but the MS211 is not listed on stihl's website. But I will ask my rep about it next time he comes by.

Stihl is doing the same thing with home owner trimmers. Got rid of FS45 and FS55R in favor of FS40C-E and FS56C-E, both EZ start models. But on the trimmers, they brought down the price of the new ones to $10 more than old models.

Back