Stihl 180c: Less and Less Power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskan Stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Purchaed a Stihl 180c a couple years ago. After running it as a Tree-Debrancher…J noticed it has started running worse and worse (losing power). In fact, for a worried of time, it simply would not start. I let it sit for a month and tried to start it again and it did start…but just lacks the power that it once had.

I have talked to other people who have purchased new Stihl saws (various models) and they have the same complaints. Their saws continue to lose overall power over the course of a few months.

I suppose I could rebuild the carburetor? Maybe clean the internals (already blew compressed air to clear debris…but maybe scrub it to polish?

Very disappointed in this saw…seems the best saws are those old McCulloch’s that still have power?

Anyone ran into this problem with their new Stihls? More importantly, what is the fix?

I have cleaned Air Filter multiple times (no change)…however, I will try the exhaust screen as well (never tried that yet).

Purchaed a Stihl 180c a couple years ago. After running it as a Tree-Debrancher…J noticed it has started running worse and worse (losing power). In fact, for a worried of time, it simply would not start. I let it sit for a month and tried to start it again and it did start…but just lacks the power that it once had.

I have talked to other people who have purchased new Stihl saws (various models) and they have the same complaints. Their saws continue to lose overall power over the course of a few months.

I suppose I could rebuild the carburetor? Maybe clean the internals (already blew compressed air to clear debris…but maybe scrub it to polish?

Very disappointed in this saw…seems the best saws are those old McCulloch’s that still have power?

Anyone ran into this problem with their new Stihls? More importantly, what is the fix?
I just put a $15 Chinese starter from Amazon on my Stihl 180 and it's like new. Worth the chance.

Coils don't last long on the Stihl pro-sumer stuff. and they can slow play you before konking. Check plug, air filter and exhaust screen.

It will likely be blocked. You can burn it out.

This is common with this model and little brother MS170. The many small holes in the muffler exit remove enough heat so that the screen won't burn itself clean.

I meant that you can remove the screen and burn the carbon out, then put it back in.

I have looked at three of the 170 and 180 and all had the same problem as the OP. All the muffler screens were blocked. Removed and used a torch to burn it off and all were running great again for them.

It is so simple to look at but often overlooked. You don't expect your vehicle to run when hooligans' shove a potato up the tailpipe? ;)

Throw the spark arrestor/screen in the trash. Run it without an air filter. If its back to normal, put the filter back and go cut wood. If not, put a NEW OEM carb on it. I have serviced 200 of these small Stihls. Without any carb adjustment, dirty fuel clogs the passages.

As to replacing the recoil housing, referred to as a Chinese starter, thats a sure sign people still feed paint chips to their children.

I just put a $15 Chinese starter from Amazon on my Stihl 180 and it's like new. Worth the chance.
One owner of a new saw was cussing his saw that would start fine, but die when chain engaged; took him several HOURS to realize problem was NOT engine, the roller tip on bar was locking down after rotating a few times.....

Latest posts

Back